Old 31 May 2016, 10:37   #21

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Looks like a nice run over!....Well done fella
I would say The Scillies would be upping the Anti quite considerably!....not impossible but things would need to be perfect...it can be quite lumpy (even in calm conditions) rounding Landsend (I wouldn't try it from the North Coast)...and you'd want plenty of 'Back up!'..also an open ended departure date would be a big pluss...that or a return ticket on the Scillonian
Pussy!!
Old 31 May 2016, 12:27   #22

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Pussy!!

Remind me!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 13:23   #23

I think Me You and Mollers should all go to the Scillie's in your 290?
Old 31 May 2016, 13:27   #24

you bring yr fishing rods and show a mad cornishman how to fish. Mollers could bring some Pasties and I will general abuse both of you!!
Old 31 May 2016, 13:45   #25

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
you bring yr fishing rods and show a mad cornishman how to fish. Mollers could bring some Pasties and I will general abuse both of you!!
....Just enough room for you two on that trip I reckon!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2016, 07:38   #26

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
tbh I think the scillies is a step to far for me. not justbthe distance but the fact that i don't live in the area. lands end is nearly 2 hours drive for me and i'd want to do an eyeball of the conditions without relying exclusively in weather forecasts. there are several vantage points of the lundy crossing near my house and its good to just park up and spend a few minutes watching the conditions.

i spent a while on sunday morning just watching the conditions and then took a view that the forecasts showed the winds dropping further still. so i made the decision to go for it, with a view to turning west for clovelly if it proved too bumpy.
Old 01 June 2016, 08:57   #27

my route

heading well to the east of the lsland to avoid the tidal race off the south of the island known as the race.
Old 01 June 2016, 09:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
my route

heading well to the east of the lsland to avoid the tidal race off the south of the island known as the race.
lol I just noticed the distance on the map - 2042 miles! Something to do with my current gps position - south coast of Turkey 😎
Old 01 June 2016, 11:14   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Well done - epic solo Aerotec passage.

Old 02 June 2016, 14:31   #30

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10hp
Great little story and mighty adventure in such a small boat ! I launched my little zodiac futura airdeck (same size) the same day from the end of the toll road beach on opposite side of the estuary to Appledoor. After an hour or two exploring the estuary for the first time (lovely), we decided to head down towards Saunton sands hotel.... only to find it was extremely choppy over the bar. Choppy enough for us to turn back ! I cant imagine ever doing a trip like yours in the futura ! Maybe it's time for an aerotec if it's capable of that ! simon, are you just Fearless and made of shock absorbing gel, or is the aerotec really that good in comparison ?
Old 02 June 2016, 14:46   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
Great little story and mighty adventure in such a small boat ! I launched my little zodiac futura airdeck (same size) the same day from the end of the toll road beach on opposite side of the estuary to Appledoor. After an hour or two exploring the estuary for the first time (lovely), we decided to head down towards Saunton sands hotel.... only to find it was extremely choppy over the bar. Choppy enough for us to turn back ! I cant imagine ever doing a trip like yours in the futura ! Maybe it's time for an aerotec if it's capable of that ! simon, are you just Fearless and made of shock absorbing gel, or is the aerotec really that good in comparison ?
Lol I dont know, never had myself down as fearless exactly. What time exactly did you try crossing the bar? I went over on high tide at midday on the outbound leg and it was pretty choppy. I did 3 miles at about 10mph or so, then it got very calm. on the return leg it was 4.30 so most of the estuary had already emptied. so calm over the bar but very tricky staying in the channel. and a nasty bitnof mud at the bottom of the slipway to negotiate. i dont think theres much in it between the two boats in terms of comfort. is yours a mk3? very interested in trying one out if you're ever in the area perhaps a boat swap for the day?
Old 02 June 2016, 16:51   #32

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
my route

That's a nice direct route!
Old 02 June 2016, 21:57   #33

Town: taunton
Make: zodiac
Engine: 10hp
Quote:
Lol I dont know, never had myself down as fearless exactly. What time exactly did you try crossing the bar? I went over on high tide at midday on the outbound leg and it was pretty choppy. I did 3 miles at about 10mph or so, then it got very calm. on the return leg it was 4.30 so most of the estuary had already emptied. so calm over the bar but very tricky staying in the channel. and a nasty bitnof mud at the bottom of the slipway to negotiate. i dont think theres much in it between the two boats in terms of comfort. is yours a mk3? very interested in trying one out if you're ever in the area perhaps a boat swap for the day?

We tried crossing around 1.30 I think, with high being at 12 midday as you say. It was my first time in the estuary, so I don't have much local knowledge. we normaly come to this side of Devon for the bodyboarding and don't bring the sib. I was told 3 hours either side of high tide for playing around in the toll road car park beach area, but to be honest, at less than 2 hours it was getting quite shallow and very muddy, making landing a bit of a problem. Next time we will try slips on the Appledoor side. Mine is a mk 1. I'd be very interested in trying a aerotec, so it would be good to meet up some time in the near future and do a bit of a swap. I am an hour away in Taunton, so not to far for a last minute trip when conditions allow.... keep me posted
Old 10 April 2017, 21:28   #34

Hi all

I will definitely be doing this crossing again at least once this summer. Hopefully this time the weather will allow an overnight camp on the island. Be nice to do it in the company of others, so if you're interested in bringing your own sib then let me know and I'll keep you informed of possible dates.

It will always be a last minute green light unfortunately, the weather is always fickle, but there are plenty of plan b destinations including clovelly, bucks mill or just a day on the taw torridge estuary. Message me if you're interested. Vhf essential

Cheers all

Simon
Old 11 April 2017, 07:54   #35

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Great trip and pictures mate, very jealous!
Old 12 April 2017, 07:15   #36

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
This is an inspiring thread
Old 21 May 2017, 13:56   #37

Town: Derby
Length: no boat
Quote:
Hi all

I will definitely be doing this crossing again at least once this summer. Hopefully this time the weather will allow an overnight camp on the island. Be nice to do it in the company of others, so if you're interested in bringing your own sib then let me know and I'll keep you informed of possible dates.

It will always be a last minute green light unfortunately, the weather is always fickle, but there are plenty of plan b destinations including clovelly, bucks mill or just a day on the taw torridge estuary. Message me if you're interested. Vhf essential

Cheers all

Simon
Have just bought myself an Aerotec and that sounds a great trip if I've got it fitted out by the time it comes up. Just out of interest how have you mounted the vhf in yours as I was thinking adding something like that and a 12V chart plotter could be a good idea on mine
Old 03 January 2018, 23:12   #38

Hi dave, messaged you re lundy. I made a waterproof box which houses the vhf and a 14ah battery. 2 waterproof 12v sockets on the side for charging and running other stuff eg chartplotter. And a waterproof socket for the vhf antenna. Box attached to thwart with stainless straps.