Old 14 January 2019, 19:24   #1

Town: Maghera
Length: 3m +
Anchor Rope - Point

Hi I've got A 3.6 Mt inflatable which I bought for inland lake fishing. I normally use a Kayak but its uncomfortable when you in it for 8 Hrs so the boat seems a better prospect . My boat doesn't seem to have an obvious anchot point and I was looking for advice on this . There's a plastic anchor roller on the bow and a metal ring below and to the left and right as well . Could I get some pointers please as to where to secure the anchor to? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181117_121258268.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	128217  
Old 14 January 2019, 19:39   #2

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Providing the spindle is strong enough I would attach the anchor rope to the roller when needed with a bowline.
Old 14 January 2019, 19:43   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think there are two different questions. 1. Where should you secure the bitter end of your anchor rode; 2. Where should the load from your anchor rope be secured?

That bow ring/eye is likely the strongest fitting so is where I would want the load to go. However if you were using the boat in difficult conditions or leaving it unattended you might want to back that up by bring the bitter end back on board (but slack) and tying off somewhere else. As it shouldn’t be load baring under normal conditions you could probably just loop it through two handles and tie it back off on itself if there is nowhere better.

You’ll probably find it easier to fit a painter to the bow ring and use that to tie off the anchor (so that the painter takes the load) - that makes it easier to pull back on board to untie than hanging off the front.
Old 14 January 2019, 19:53   #4

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Wow Poly, this is a ten foot dinghy not a super tanker. I have been boating for over 50 years and you have confused me let alone a novice! I bet he is thinking why do I need a decorator (painter) on board.
Old 14 January 2019, 20:00   #5

Town: Maghera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think there are two different questions. 1. Where should you secure the bitter end of your anchor rode; 2. Where should the load from your anchor rope be secured?

That bow ring/eye is likely the strongest fitting so is where I would want the load to go. However if you were using the boat in difficult conditions or leaving it unattended you might want to back that up by bring the bitter end back on board (but slack) and tying off somewhere else. As it shouldn’t be load baring under normal conditions you could probably just loop it through two handles and tie it back off on itself if there is nowhere better.

You’ll probably find it easier to fit a painter to the bow ring and use that to tie off the anchor (so that the painter takes the load) - that makes it easier to pull back on board to untie than hanging off the front.
Thanks for your help , I now know how to tie a painter and have learned the origins of the phrase "bitter end" and have an idea of where to tie the anchor to , great stuff
Old 14 January 2019, 21:14   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyo View Post
Hi I've got A 3.6 Mt inflatable which I bought for inland lake fishing. I normally use a Kayak but its uncomfortable when you in it for 8 Hrs so the boat seems a better prospect . My boat doesn't seem to have an obvious anchot point and I was looking for advice on this . There's a plastic anchor roller on the bow and a metal ring below and to the left and right as well . Could I get some pointers please as to where to secure the anchor to? Thanks
Mine is the same splice a piece of rope to the outside two rings and pass a loop through the centre one put a shackle through the loop and splice a 3-4 m line to the shackle put a karabiner on the end of the line then when you throw your anchor in put a loop in the anchor line and put the karabiner through that then you just pull on the 4 m line (painter) till the loop comes up and pull up your anchor.
That way you have a three point fastening more than enough to hold your boat, I winch mine on to the trailer with that works a treat.
Hard to explain if you turn the anchor rope to make a loop the pull the anchor side of the rope through to make a loop put you karabiner through that it then pulls apart when you pull the anchor so you don't have knots to undo
Old 15 January 2019, 00:39   #7

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
OK I've given it much thought. Perhaps too much thought. Moving around in a small sib is awkward especially with fishing gear at your feet, so here is how I would run my anchor with your boat.
Run the bitter end of the anchor line thru the center bow D ring entering from below. Pull it thru until the anchor is close. (presuming its a mushroom anchor). Then run the line over the anchor pulley toward your sitting position. The D ring will help keep the line in the pulley. While sitting where you motor from I would use two overhand knots to tie the loop of rope at the length that hangs the anchor at the right height. Tie to the black ropes on the tube tops. I would use two overhand knots the first one you pull tight the second can be snug but not tight. This last knot un-ties fast and then first overhand will then come loose almost on its own to lower the anchor when you are over your fishing spot. Without climbing around you can raise lower your anchor. The rub material on the front tube should handle the rope rub I presume. And don't forget to tie the bitter end to something, anything.
Things that will prove me wrong are:
- Friction between the D ring and top of tube too much.
- wanting to motor fast between fishing holes.
- and of course if you have an anchor with pointy bits.
If any of these variants prove to be the case just drop the anchor over the side near you and when its deep enough step on the rope.
Old 15 January 2019, 21:47   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I have a painter which is secured to a bridle between the two towing eyes. The painter is short enough that it won't foul the prop if I accidentally let it trail in the water.

I drop the anchor and let out plenty of line.

Then I form a bight in the anchor line and weave the painter through it in a sheetbend or double sheetbend, depending on circumstances.

Then I drop the sheetbend over in the the water and let out enough more anchor line that the load from the anchor is taken on the painter. The inboard end of the anchor line can then be loosely tied off with a bit of slack in it.

When I want to weigh the anchor, I pull in on the anchor line until the sheetbend comes over the side, and untie it.
Old 18 January 2019, 06:07   #9

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Wow Poly, this is a ten foot dinghy not a super tanker. I have been boating for over 50 years and you have confused me let alone a novice! I bet he is thinking why do I need a decorator (painter) on board.
I think he is trying to sound clever using big words...….. I agree a novice does not need to hear all that nonsense.

Just tie your anchor rope to any thing on the boat that is solid
Old 18 January 2019, 09:18   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I think he is trying to sound clever using big words...….. I agree a novice does not need to hear all that nonsense.
No big words there, just the right ones, unless 7 letters is a big word. I'm happy to explain them to you if you can't work google or have never had any training. The OP on the other-hand seems to have actually found the reply useful and informative.
Quote:
Just tie your anchor rope to any thing on the boat that is solid
A recipe for damaging the boat (because the OP is clearly asking where is best not should I tie it to the boat or round my ankle) or the fitting failing and losing the anchor (which may not matter in a pond but could be very dangerous elsewhere) or to ending up beam on, or stern on to the waves or with the anchor tied around the bow eye in a chop hanging dangerously off the front trying to untie.
Old 18 January 2019, 14:19   #11

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Not sure much anyone is joking here.

However, painter is a standard word for the short length of rope tied to the bow of any small dinghy for tying off to a mooring. It is usually a word only associated with small boats.

It's nice to use the right words, and it can also sometimes be a matter of safety, but not always.

Frankly, it doesn't matter whether you call the rope leading down to the anchor the warp, rode, line or even rope if you call it the anchor warp/rode/line/rope. I can live with knot and bend being interchangeable terms, and grit my teeth and smile when people mix up "paddle" and "oar".

However, the reason we use port and starboard is to stop that silly and potentially dangerous "Your left or my left" situation when giving instructions.

If your boat has more than one mooring line, as many do, then only one of them — the one at the bow — is the painter. Tie off the anchor line to the painter can only have one meaning. "Tie off the anchor to the mooring line" could lead to a novice making a dangerous mistake. "Use a sheetbend" is far more precise than "tie a knot".

My other boat is a sailing dinghy. It's a fairly simple one, but nevertheless, there are several ropes and lines, each with a different purpose. Learning their names is as important as learning your work colleagues' names rather than describing which one you mean, and the names are easy enough to learn.
Old 18 January 2019, 18:30   #12

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Well said!
Old 15 March 2019, 00:26   #13

Town: Auckland
Boat name: Harpoon
Make: Takacat
Engine: Yamaha F6
Thank you everyone - I found the discussion very helpful AND the use of the correct terms also makes a follow up search on Captain Google quicker and more accurate. I recently purchased a 3.4m TakaCat with an open bow - so the discussion was such that I could work out what matters and what didn't and how I might safely anchor.

But, as for needing a painter and decorator.......
Old 26 August 2021, 03:59   #14
bct

I have a takacat to and anchor using the two D rings underneath the boat that hold the floor in place. I suppose the belt used to tie them down is the painter? In the pic it's that black spot.