Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 01 May 2020, 19:33   #1

Town: Hilton Head Island
Length: 3m +
Am I Crazy? My first boat/storage Plan - good info for others new to SIB/RIB too

Howdy Y'all! Skip down below if you just want to see my STORAGE question.
I will try to keep the background brief but hopefully what I have learned will be helpful to others new to all this!

I am new to boating and motors, although I have done miles of open water paddleboard trips so I know I will enjoy a small craft. I am in sub-tropical Hilton Head, South Carolina with mazes of salt water marshland, tidal rivers etc to explore and harvest crustaceans/shell fish (sometimes hook/line fishing)

I have been researching for a few weeks now and here is where I am at, let me know if I went off the rails somewhere please and many many thanks!

So,

I need a boat that can be stored indoors between uses since local storage would cost me about 1,000 dollars a year. That had me looking at 3-4 meter SIBS.

I didn't like the idea of a pure air floor. While they are the lightest and most portable, the nature of my exploring would leave me vulnerable to hull damage. Razor sharp oyster beds and all that. I also wanted to be able to stand stable in the boat and have a robust material between me and the aforementioned oysters in case of an emergency.

I will also be beaching the craft for island exploration and oyster harvesting etc more often than I assume these SIBs are intended for on sometimes less than sandy beaches (shells, stray razor oysters, dried marsh reeds etc)

I quickly realized I would be spending my time on the water worrying more about the hazards than I would be enjoying myself. Of course some worry and caution is good but I knew I would be too anxious to venture far - so why bother I say.

For a moment I thought a SIB with Aluminum decking and inflatable V hull was my perfect boat - like the Zodiac Cadet 3.5 alu - a boat that, from my research, seems the perfect middle ground in terms of water performance/ease of storage for those torn between SIB/RIB of this size.

This style SIB would provide me with a stable platform to stand,still be very simple to store and although a little heavier than an air deck would feel a little more stable while underway. Albeit they are a little more hassle than an air deck SIB to assemble as well.

However, our waters are so littered with these oyster beds and while most are visible on the muddy banks, some of the little devils are on mounds in the water. Sometimes hidden by the high tide.

Finally, I decided for my own piece of mind and so I would have the confidence to properly explore the area I will need a Aluminum RIB or Frib (fold-able rib). Frib is best for my needs but unfortunately in the USA options are limited and prices are double what a RIB would cost.

So, RIB it is! I really like the Zodiac 330 or 360 Cadet Alu RIBs with a 15hp 4 stroke Tohatsu (Tohatsu mainly cause I hear they are lighter and cheaper yet still super reliable)

BUT remember I need to store this thing!
STORAGE

Whilst I think I finally found the perfect boat for me in the Zodiac Cadet alu RIB 330 or 360, It is certainly NOT the most compact boat to store indoors!

The 360 is still 3.1 meters long when "packed" and 1 meter wide. It is kinda flat though at half a meter. I will probably go with the 360 for a little extra space/capacity for gear as well as for some reason I don't like the idea of putting the maximum hp on the transom. So 360 is rated for 20hp and again I am going with 15hp.

SO here is my CRAZY plan - In my mind this will be quicker/easier (sorry Mike lol) than assembling an aluminum SIB AND be more protective from water hazard WHILE giving me a faster more agile boat - Although I hear a small RIB is a rougher ride in choppy conditions - worth the trade off for my needs.

I live alone with a spare room so all I have to do it get this 110 pound 10 foot long beast up the 1 set of stairs to my front door. The stairs are an issue as they are kind of narrow at 1 meter and twisty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	stairs hoist.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	132944

But I have GREAT access over the railing right to the front door

Name:	from ground hoist.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	132945

I planned on getting a sturdy 1000 lb limit attachment to screw into the wood above - something like this

Name:	plank.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	132943

Then I would use a single point electric hoist with at least 200lb+ limit to hoist the deflated RIB over the railing and on to a little wheeled furniture mover which I could roll into the spare room.

And to launch I would winch it down into my truck bed with one of these bed extenders

It would only cost about as much as 3 months storage fees to set this up as explained.

So hypothetically I would be able store my boat for its lifetime out of the 100+f degree heat which I hear will extend the PVC life and glue - while being able to get on the water as fast if not faster than setting up a Alu deck SIB....

If you made it to here I am forever grateful! Please let me know what you think of my plans or if you have any questions or clarification needed!

Thank you for taking the time to help and enable me to get out and properly enjoy the water I have been putz paddling around on for 6 years!

Cheers and again many thanks! I hope this isn't the longest post on the forum haha
Old 02 May 2020, 02:11   #2

Town: Dallas
Make: Achilles LSI310
Engine: Yamaha 8HP 2 stroke
I wouldn’t do it.

I store my 80+ lbs Achilles in the closet (2nd story apartment) and outboard on the balcony. It’s a PAIN in the ass to take it down and up the stairs. Actually it’s worse when you come home after 10-12hr trip and you gotta take the sucker upstairs.

I usually use my boat 6-8 times per season so it’s not that terrible but I wouldn’t even dare to try bring 360 RIB , even if you come up with some kind of rigging.

Also 15hp 4 stroke weights around 100lbs, that will mess up your back sooner or later. My 2 stroke Yamaha is 60lbs and that is absolute max I would lift by myself... outboards are very awkward to carry.
Old 02 May 2020, 02:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlTX View Post
I wouldn’t do it.

I store my 80+ lbs Achilles in the closet (2nd story apartment) and outboard on the balcony. It’s a PAIN in the ass to take it down and up the stairs. Actually it’s worse when you come home after 10-12hr trip and you gotta take the sucker upstairs.
With Respect, that is exactly why I plan to use the hoist set up described above.
My options are unfortunately store the boat inside or not have a boat. So I am pretty willing to go through a little hassle to get this done! Just can't warrant spending $90+ a month on a storage spot at this time. And it's boating season almost all year around here so I hope to take it out dozens of times and become an expert at this hoist operation I am hatching

The RIB is actually 40lbs lighter than the SIB at about 100/110lb so I would probably be setting up the hoist regardless of which option I go with. Especially for the outboard as like you said they are super awkward.

I have a weight belt for lifting and picked up my 2-50lb weights and walked around the apartment - no huge deal but the stairs are a no go for sure especially with the awkwardnes.

So I guess my main point is... some kind of hoist has got to happening regardless - do you think this seem like a legit set up?

Cheers and thank you for your input! I knew the stair option was a delusion of grandeur haahha Hoist it must be
Old 02 May 2020, 10:14   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've read all your posts and the replies over the past few days but haven't posted so far as I was trying to get my head round your needs and options.

If you didn't have the oyster beds to worry about I'd far rather the time setting up an alloy floored inflatable than going through the hoist procedure each end of the day. Remember re weight you can carry the alloy floor sections and inflatable part in different bags so no hoist needed for the boat. I have no experience of oyster beds so have no idea how much of a threat they would be to a fabric bottom. Are there other folks using inflatables in your boating area you could ask?

Re the hoist idea. Interesting/inventive but I see a couple of problems. Firstly don't use any form of wood screw to attach... you need to bolt through to the timbers.

Secondly when you are standing on the balcony your load is spread over several timbers... attaching the hoist will be a point load and that timber where you have marked the "X" looks to be two thinnish pieces together and one isn't even full length as I can see a butt join. I'd look very carefully at the strength of those timbers. Do you even have the rights to attach to the structure of the flat above?

Lastly when you have a lift like that from above then the point you lift from needs to be two or three feet out from the face of what you are lifting past... some sort of arm sticking out needed... your arrangement will mean the boat and outboard will both scrape up the face of the balcony timber. Then that arm really needs to swing in to bring the boat/OB onto the balcony over the rail.

I guess it wouldn't be allowed and does come with its own risk but a "gate" in the balcony (the upright "fence" bit) would mean the lift was about three feet less and could go straight into the door without the up and over aspect you'll have as you're planning it.

But overall I wonder if there isn't a better boat answer for you... at its most basic a PVC kayak would be a step up from the paddle board in respect of carrying gear… and no engine to buy or maul about.

Then there is this sort of thing which comes in sections which could probably easily be taken up the stairs one at a time and then "nested" for storage once in the flat. Also due to hull shape it will go as well with a lightweight 8hp as a SIB might with 15hp.

Anything like this in the USA??

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/nesta...sting-trio-14/

Just a few random thoughts to add in the mix.
Old 02 May 2020, 23:42   #5

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

These Nest Away boats look great and would work very well. Faster than sib and probably ribs too.
I haven’t seen anything like these here in USA But it might be out there with the right search.
Also let’s talk hoist. I use one. The harbor freight hoist does not lie about lifting capacity. But know it also can’t lift 1 lb more than stated. I have to use the doubler pulley that cuts cable length in half.
Old 03 May 2020, 03:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
These Nest Away boats look great and would work very well. Faster than sib and probably ribs too.
I haven’t seen anything like these here in USA But it might be out there with the right search.
Also let’s talk hoist. I use one. The harbor freight hoist does not lie about lifting capacity. But know it also can’t lift 1 lb more than stated. I have to use the doubler pulley that cuts cable length in half.
Thank you Pagick!! My HERO! lol I posted this up in 4 boat forums and you are basically the only person to actually answer if this would work - not if I should do it! I supposed I could have been more clear instead of asking if I am crazy but yes the whole point of this post was "Will this idea work?"

Since I have no experience boating or hoisting I figured there would be someone here who has done both! lol

I was thinking of something like this so I can quickly set it up hoist the boat in and no HOA creeps will ever be the wiser...

and getting 2 points like this and spreading the load between them with hoist straps

Someone said I must bolt through the timber but I think since everything is rated for over 1000lb and the boat weighs 10% of that - i should be more than fine with this

But would you mind If I DM you when getting closer to ordering my hoist supplies good sir?

thanks again for the help!

Cheers
Old 03 May 2020, 04:01   #7

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
I’m not sure I said it will work. But really the big question is how long will it take before you tire of the extra work. Fenlander raised some well thought out points”as usual”. When he reply’s read and listen. He’s pretty thorough. I suspect the process will get old since half of all your work will be after a day at sea.
But that is for you to decide not us. Is the electric wench loaded with enough cable? Is it capable of the weight?
All that said the boat Fenlander looked to me to be a real contender for your needs but that’s your call. I just like the idea of walking up the stairs three times with the solid boat sections instead of a bag with what will feel like a dead body inside.
All that said look at this item on Amazon. You can get it and return if it sucks.
Smarketbuy Aluminum Stair Climber Hand Truck
Old 03 May 2020, 04:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
I’m not sure I said it will work.
Nope you implied it will work and now you are liable for what happens next...lol jk

With respect - I know I am new to this but the nested boats only take 3.5hp max and seem to have a gear capacity almost half as much as a smaller rib has. And while they may nest - each piece is still upwards of 40 pounds x 3 trips up the stairs and then the outboard

Personally pulling my truck up under the rail with the rinsed, dried and deflated boat. Grabbing the hoist and hooking to the nose towing hook on the boat. pressing a button and guiding it onto the rail sounds easier - now the part after that where I must manhandle it off the rail onto my roller cart is the only questionable part at this point.

Because yes the hoist has plenty of cable and all hoist, strap and accessories have 1000 pound rating while each item hoisted will be 100 pounds only.

and I will def check this thing out perhaps it will be a solution to that last step
Old 03 May 2020, 04:15   #9

o yeah i like that thing for the outboard - I guess if the outboard is on a thrashing boat all day bouncing up the stairs a little wont hurt nuthin?

I was a little concerned if the outboard would have somewhere to attach the points or would have to use straps etc - i will def get this for the outboard if its safe rather than hoist it
Old 03 May 2020, 04:33   #10

Quote:
I've read all your posts and the replies over the past few days but haven't posted so far as I was trying to get my head round your needs and options.

If you didn't have the oyster beds to worry about I'd far rather the time setting up an alloy floored inflatable than going through the hoist procedure each end of the day. Remember re weight you can carry the alloy floor sections and inflatable part in different bags so no hoist needed for the boat. I have no experience of oyster beds so have no idea how much of a threat they would be to a fabric bottom. Are there other folks using inflatables in your boating area you could ask?

Re the hoist idea. Interesting/inventive but I see a couple of problems. Firstly don't use any form of wood screw to attach... you need to bolt through to the timbers.

Secondly when you are standing on the balcony your load is spread over several timbers... attaching the hoist will be a point load and that timber where you have marked the "X" looks to be two thinnish pieces together and one isn't even full length as I can see a butt join. I'd look very carefully at the strength of those timbers. Do you even have the rights to attach to the structure of the flat above?

Lastly when you have a lift like that from above then the point you lift from needs to be two or three feet out from the face of what you are lifting past... some sort of arm sticking out needed... your arrangement will mean the boat and outboard will both scrape up the face of the balcony timber. Then that arm really needs to swing in to bring the boat/OB onto the balcony over the rail.

I guess it wouldn't be allowed and does come with its own risk but a "gate" in the balcony (the upright "fence" bit) would mean the lift was about three feet less and could go straight into the door without the up and over aspect you'll have as you're planning it.

But overall I wonder if there isn't a better boat answer for you... at its most basic a PVC kayak would be a step up from the paddle board in respect of carrying gear… and no engine to buy or maul about.

Then there is this sort of thing which comes in sections which could probably easily be taken up the stairs one at a time and then "nested" for storage once in the flat. Also due to hull shape it will go as well with a lightweight 8hp as a SIB might with 15hp.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. While I don't agree with some, despite my lack of experience, I appreciate it.

For instance - if the screws/mount is rated for 1000lbs dont you think that'll be fine with only 10% the weight - the boats half as heavy as myself and these are made to hold hammocks

I totally get your point about the concentrated weight though - which is why i amended my plan to have 2 of these 1000 pound eyes with a 2000lb hoist strap attached to each spreading the weight to different points on the timber 50/50 perhaps even more points the straps and attachment points are cheap enough.

As for the swing arm - since the boat is only 100 lbs and i can conformable lift that (just not awkwardly up the stairs) I figured with a gloved hand I could guide the boat away from the railing and as the nose passes be able to pull the boat over the rail while descending the hoist (i weigh 230lb and sit on it all the time - its super solid)

I own the flat and my neighbors rent theirs so I really don't think anyone will notice unless someone physically sees me hoisting - and if they do, damn them, America Freedom etc etc hahaha

I do like the nested boats but selection is not abundant here and it says they only take a 3.5 hp max I might as well keep paddling lol I really want to get some speed so nuts to a pvc kayak too

I really do appreciate responding and everyone concerns have strangely given me the confidence that I can do this with little hassle when the time comes. Like reverse psychology when your parents tell you not to do something...

I will either come back with a success story post later this year or a post of me getting arrested for tearing down my porch saying "You were right Fenlander!"

hahaha Cheers!
Old 03 May 2020, 06:01   #11

Okay I know it's been a roller coaster of emotions here but I think I found the game changer hahah... Seems I might be able to store IN my truck bed when I know I will be going out a bunch and only have to hoist it for longer term storage...

Boat is 39 in wide and truck bed is 41.5...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat width.JPG
Views:	910
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	132957   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck width.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	132958  
Old 03 May 2020, 08:39   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Trust me, inflatables NEVER pack down to what the manufacturers say they will. I know[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2020, 09:26   #13

>>> I think I found the game changer hahah... Seems I might be able to store IN my truck

Funnily enough a thought that came to mind but I didn't put in my posting was could you change the truck for some sort of day van thing where the deflated alloy RIB could live in full time??

If you do go the hoist route still consider upgrading the fixings you use. It matters not what the fittings are rated to it's the strength of the timber you are screwing into which will have been chosen to do its job in compression not for a hanging load.... the boat would probably bounce... a cherished new Tohatsu 15hp wouldn't.

Ok so the flat above is rented but it will still have an owner... and do consider what you might do if you've bought the boat and outboard based on the hoist... and then he objects taking your fixings off and posts them back through your letter box??

Re the Nestaway type boat... my mistake... I thought the 3.5hp performance figures were an example... didn't notice that was the maximum rated HP. Have to say though it cuts through the water well... 10kts 2-up with a 3.5hp is very impressive.
Old 03 May 2020, 09:40   #14

>>>Trust me, inflatables NEVER pack down to what the manufacturers say they will.

I'm never contrary for the sake of it PD... always based on fact so...

True story. At out most frequent launch site there is a nice local guy who is frequently up and down past out setup location doing his boaty things. He often walks past soon after we transom wheel up the road after a day on the water back to the car then looks at the dripping wet outfit and across to the storage bag and says... that'll never go back in there. And so often he walks back past at some stage after the SIB is back in the bag and says... how did you manage that again... I never can with mine.

In our early sibbing years a Zodiac dealer explained the knack of packing a SIB to small dimensions and it works every time.

Here is the Aerotec on the shelf packed to 105x70x38cm... an average pack for us. The makers packed spec is 115x72x39cm so we've comfortably beaten that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aerotec packed.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	132959  
Old 03 May 2020, 09:50   #15

And a few more past SIBs packed away...

In the green bag a 3.1m Hypalon Zodiac.

Under the stairs a bagged 3.6m Zodiac.

In the image with a Mercury 10hp in the background there's a 3.4m Zodiac in the bag.

In the image of a Honwave outfit a 3.5m alloy floor model in the bag with its floor sections in the second bag under the pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zodiac Mk.1 packed.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	132960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 360 packed.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	132961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 packed.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	132962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Honwave kit.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	132963  
Old 03 May 2020, 10:47   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
And a few more past SIBs packed away...

In the green bag a 3.1m Hypalon Zodiac.

Under the stairs a bagged 3.6m Zodiac.

In the image with a Mercury 10hp in the background there's a 3.4m Zodiac in the bag.

In the image of a Honwave outfit a 3.5m alloy floor model in the bag with its floor sections in the second bag under the pump.

Well hats off[emoji106] I’ve never been able to get them back to the same size they came out of the factory. The current Excel is an awkward bugger, but I think that’s down to the thicker material & the cold conditions I’ve been playing in[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2020, 20:48   #17

Town: Epsom
Make: Avon SR4
Quote:
>>>

In our early sibbing years a Zodiac dealer explained the knack of packing a SIB to small dimensions and it works every time.
anything you can share with us - I hate trying to pack things like this away
Old 03 May 2020, 21:50   #18

[QUOTE=Fenlander;811474]>>>
Funnily enough a thought that came to mind but I didn't put in my posting was could you change the truck for some sort of day van thing where the deflated alloy RIB could live in full time??

I don't think it could be hard covered but I could cable lock it into my truck and cover with a tarp or something made for covering boats
But I also sometimes need my truck bed ya know so then I would still hoist once in a while

If you do go the hoist route still consider upgrading the fixings you use. It matters not what the fittings are rated to it's the strength of the timber you are screwing into which will have been chosen to do its job in compression not for a hanging load.... the boat would probably bounce... a cherished new Tohatsu 15hp wouldn't.

Will do, perhaps I will get several of those eyes. But now that I might be able to get it in the truck for most times between use and hoist less often I might just be able to get my Dad or friend to help manhandle it up without the hoist. And I was thinking since it is kind of a handheld hoist I could help the timber by lifting some of the weight to assist

I also plan to hand cart the outboard up the stairs now just in case

Ok so the flat above is rented but it will still have an owner... and do consider what you might do if you've bought the boat and outboard based on the hoist... and then he objects taking your fixings off and posts them back through your letter box??

unless the neighbors see me hoisting the fixings will just look like something to hang a flower pot from..i might even put a plant there when not hoisting lol I suppose that is possible but in a state with a lot of guns people tend not to risk messing with other peoples hardware right in front of my front door lol they will be screwed into the under side now - not the bottom of timber (figured it would be more hidden and more stable
PLUS some people have actually plants handing from similar positions so I am fairly sure that the underside of his porch is mine to do stuff like that and the underside of the porch above him hypothetically would be his to hang something - obviously HOA did not intend to hang a 100 pound thing hahaha but still..

Re the Nestaway type boat... my mistake... I thought the 3.5hp performance figures were an example... didn't notice that was the maximum rated HP. Have to say though it cuts through the water well... 10kts 2-up with a 3.5hp is very impressive.

No worries! That is quite impressive but I wanna go a bit faster
Old 03 May 2020, 22:21   #19

PS that is also how I plan to spread the weight between several sections across the timber all linking with heavy duty hoist straps

I am no math wiz but 100 lb of weight spread between 4 points would only be 25lb per point - any timber with 4x4in long wood screws must hold that! If not i've really lost a lot of respect for the screw during this research.... lol
Old 03 May 2020, 22:48   #20

>>>anything you can share with us

Yes of course...

Set boat bag on the ground under the boat about 3ft back from the bow.

Deflate boat and remove floor if alloy/wood. Leave valves in open position with caps off.

Do not use a pump to vacuum out air.

Start with an initial air-removing roll up. At the transom fold the cone ends in over the back of the transom then pull/fold in the tube material so it is slightly harrower than the transom at its widest part (usually the top) and roll up bit at a time expelling 90% of the air. Continue until fully rolled up and sit/press on it for a minute or so until most of the air has gone. For this initial roll its not crucial if some of the tube sticks our a few inches more than the transom.

Then unroll the boat completely and start again rolling up from the transom to do the accurate job. For this final roll ensure 100% at each roll none of the tube material is wider than the transom and that the way you fold the tubes in is as neat as possible.

It is so important at each roll to double check not one tiny part of the tube material exceeds the transom width.

When you have one roll left to do don't make this in the same direction as the rest. Get the end of the bow and fold it back about 2ft 6in so this ends up tucked under the final roll.

Listen carefully to the valve positions as you roll because there should be a constant light hissing from each. If one goes quiet it has come face on to a flat bit of material that has effectively sealed it so there will be trapped air and you need to unroll a bit and jiggle the material then roll again listening for the hissing.

Once the final roll is done again sit/press on the folded boat until it stops hissing and shuffle to correct place on bag then fold that round and get straps on as far as easily possible. Sit/press on package again and as each strap goes loose pull them up until you have them all fully "home" or as far as they will reasonably go. Using the straps rather than your weight to pull the bag up tight the final bit risks ripping them off.

With this method the straps on our Aerotec bag pull up fully until there is no further adjustment at which time the pack will be a little under the makers spec size.

Tags
rib, sib