Old 10 June 2021, 07:29   #1

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Aldi fitness mats on sale today

Just a heads up, Aldi have Crane fitness mats 150 x 70 x1cm in 4 colours at £5.99 each.
These look ideal for covering those air floors to guard against sharp things like Bass spikes.
The Elling width suits these as the mats are just the right width.

I doubt they will be in stock long as there seems to be a delivery problem to the stores.
Old 16 June 2021, 09:09   #2

Well I bought a couple in grey to protect the air floor of my Elling. I had a couple of bits of white conveyor belting that I was going to use, very very strong but slippy when wet so I was looking elsewhere.
These mats are extremely light and as I found then laying them flat indoors get damaged easily by anything with a sharp edge. I would think bass spikes would have no problem getting through if dropped. Also being so light you would need to be sure to place kit on them to save the wind lifting them while moving. I did try deflating the floor and trapping the edges of the mats while inflating, that works but....
I am I think going back to the conveyor belting. Its very thin and heavy enough to stay in place. I would think vinyl flooring would be just as slippy when wet.

crane aldi mat2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane aldi mat2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	137749  
Old 16 June 2021, 15:07   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Well I bought a couple in grey to protect the air floor of my Elling. I had a couple of bits of white conveyor belting that I was going to use, very very strong but slippy when wet so I was looking elsewhere.
These mats are extremely light and as I found then laying them flat indoors get damaged easily by anything with a sharp edge. I would think bass spikes would have no problem getting through if dropped. Also being so light you would need to be sure to place kit on them to save the wind lifting them while moving. I did try deflating the floor and trapping the edges of the mats while inflating, that works but....
I am I think going back to the conveyor belting. Its very thin and heavy enough to stay in place. I would think vinyl flooring would be just as slippy when wet.

crane aldi mat2.jpg

I’ve never had any trouble with hooks/bass spines/gill plates/dogs claws in 30 years of RIB ownership.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2021, 15:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve never had any trouble with hooks/bass spines/gill plates/dogs claws in 30 years of RIB ownership.

Now tell me you dont fish and dont own a dog
Or you have always had wood or alloy floors

IF you could just call a supplier and get a replacement by next day at a reasonable price I wouldnt be too bothered, but Ukrain prices and 6-8weeks has me thinking I ought to take some preventive measures.
I have 2 choices now, the conveyor belting is easy to fit and very strong, or the not so strong harder to fit fitness mats so I will just use one or the other. My reason for posting was to warn others the mats might not be such a good idea.
I did try a needle on the mat earlier though and they are made of 2 materials and a grippy backing, the soft top is easy for the needle to pass but the 2nd material and grippy backing do seem quite needle resistant.
I'm ranting on....I will stop now....
Old 16 June 2021, 15:48   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Now tell me you dont fish and dont own a dog
Or you have always had wood or alloy floors

IF you could just call a supplier and get a replacement by next day at a reasonable price I wouldnt be too bothered, but Ukrain prices and 6-8weeks has me thinking I ought to take some preventive measures.
I have 2 choices now, the conveyor belting is easy to fit and very strong, or the not so strong harder to fit fitness mats so I will just use one or the other. My reason for posting was to warn others the mats might not be such a good idea.
I did try a needle on the mat earlier though and they are made of 2 materials and a grippy backing, the soft top is easy for the needle to pass but the 2nd material and grippy backing do seem quite needle resistant.
I'm ranting on....I will stop now....

Did own a dog, sadly long gone. I fish/dive, I’ve dragged lumps of barnacle encrusted brass, bags of scallops, had some nice Bass all on the boat. A fully inflated tube is much tougher than folk imagine. I’m not saying don’t add more protection, but don’t sweat it either. Sand under a dummy floor will just as likely do as much damage.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 09:00   #6

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Top Job Oldman,
I bought some carpet tiles similar material as the fitness mat you have that fit snugly together .

Found them tough and non slip and very pleased that I fitted them ( Better safe than sorry )

My air floor is still looks like new that is a Plus Plus
Old 17 June 2021, 09:23   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think you know Oldman I bought two of these mats before the Elling arrived and after one trial in the garage set them aside for other use due to their lightweight nature and insistence on curling up the moment they weren't fully held down on all edges.

They have already become part of my materials stock having several sections cut off to use in the day van (glued down and under carpet).
Old 17 June 2021, 09:35   #8

I left mine unrolled for a few days and they lost the memory effect. I will I think give them a trial run anyway.

Tags
sale