Old 15 August 2020, 11:55   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Elling KB 350
Length: 3m +
Air floor v slatted etc

Hi
Being heavy I guess slatted is better?
Or is it stability of the person inside the boat is better due to being flat?

Which boat is more stable, not for the person moving but for the boats movement in water / waves or being driven.

Post talk of added weight in floored ones.
What’s the problem? Carrying in car? Time of assembly?

How much extra time?

Thanks
Old 15 August 2020, 13:10   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
When you say slatted I assume you mean a sectional alloy floor with low pressure keel under??

If so yes they do feel a little more planted in the water but on the other hand I've never felt unstable with an air floor.

Alloy floor downsides... yes they are heavy... often 30+kg more than an air floor in the 3.5m or so sizes.

Assembly will take longer and sometimes involve frustration getting the sections in and side stringers on. If for example I was setting up and taking down each day on two weeks holiday it would be air floor every time. If I kept the SIB near the water set up all the while then not such a problem.
Old 15 August 2020, 13:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
When you say slatted I assume you mean a sectional alloy floor with low pressure keel under??

If so yes they do feel a little more planted in the water but on the other hand I've never felt unstable with an air floor.

Alloy floor downsides... yes they are heavy... often 30+kg more than an air floor in the 3.5m or so sizes.

Assembly will take longer and sometimes involve frustration getting the sections in and side stringers on. If for example I was setting up and taking down each day on two weeks holiday it would be air floor every time. If I kept the SIB near the water set up all the while then not such a problem.
I’m thinking Around 3.5m. Air floor no problem with someone’s weight? Not bow or buckle? Then again I guess you are on a seat 99% of time
Old 15 August 2020, 18:42   #4

Town: W Midlands
Make: C-Fury Patrol
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notebook View Post
I’m thinking Around 3.5m. Air floor no problem with someone’s weight? Not bow or buckle? Then again I guess you are on a seat 99% of time
Recently I bought 3.8M SIB (Honwave T38) with an air deck and as long as you inflate the floor to the recommended pressure you'll have no worries about it bending or buckling, my experience is of being able to walk / stand in it and it feels solid underfoot on the water.

I also bought a slightly larger 4M Honwave T40, which has the aluminium deck, to compare them and I sold it almost immediately because it was very heavy in comparison and took up twice the space for storage and transportation than T38 so didn't meet my requirements.

Both types have their positives and negatives which are related to your own requirements and circumstances rather than to the boats as they can both do the job well.

My crew (kids) sat on the floor 99% of the time rather than on the seats as they felt more comfortable, shouldn't have forked out for the extra seat before seeing whether it was necessary.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.
Old 15 August 2020, 18:53   #5

You recommend a hi wave?
Old 15 August 2020, 18:59   #6

Quote:
You recommend a hi wave?
Recommendations abound on the site which you'll find through reading/searching the SIB section, I can't make a recommendation as I have only owned the two Honwaves and so far only for a very short time, they both seem great to me but it's not an objective observation.

If you know what your criteria are for the boat in terms of use and list them on the forum I imagine you'll get some great advice from experienced SIBers, which i'm not.
Old 15 August 2020, 19:00   #7

Thanks
Old 15 August 2020, 19:14   #8

No worries.

If it's of any use to know, I'm very happy so far with the T38.

It's light enough to carry between two of us and can be packed, along with all of the other bits, in to the boot of my campervan.

It is quick to set up using a 12V pump, feels safe for my young kids to travel in so far (my inexperience is the biggest risk to them and to me in the boat) and fits two adults and two kids comfortably with all of the other kit for a few hours on the water.

Packing it away again is also straightforward even when we still have the kids to keep an eye on.

You mentioned being heavy, unless you're talking Guinness World Record Heavy plus some, I don't think you need worry, the T38 has a limit of 950KG I believe.

Do you have an outboard already?
Old 15 August 2020, 23:37   #9

Never had a boat. Always wanted one from time to time and after paying off mortgage etc have cash to enjoy myself ��
Old 16 August 2020, 08:39   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Have you read the ‘Which SIB‘ sticky?
Old 16 August 2020, 09:21   #11

Yes. The main boat is not made anymore. The post is 6 years old, but got some info from it.
Thanks
Old 16 August 2020, 09:23   #12

What is the replacement for the aero tech?
Old 16 August 2020, 11:16   #13

There isn't one sadly.
Old 16 August 2020, 11:40   #14

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I believe that "slatted" usually refers to a series of planks going across the boat, joined by webbing or similar, and only suitable for small low speed tenders. A boat with a slatted floor may tend to "caterpillar" over the waves.

All 3 of the SIBs I've had have had sectional plywood floors. Typically, that means 5 sections of plywood which completely fill the floor space with joins but no gaps. being sectional, it allows for the shape of the bow to rise slightly. With an inflated keel beneath the floor, with the main tubes inflated properly, and with a pair of "stringers" (side pieces that lock 3 of the boards into place) a sectional plywood floor provides a firm and stable surface to stand on. Also, it is easy, should you wish, to add permanent anchor points for safety gear, fuel tank, etc. It is also reasonably easy to replace or repair a damaged board.

I have never owned a boat with an aluminium floor, but I have used one. My understanding is that they have the advantages of plywood, plus they don't rot or delaminate, although they can be difficult to fit/dismantle, and if they are damaged it is more of a problem.

As for air floors, I know many people use them happily. Personally, I like the solidity of wood. I spend a lot of time chugging on rivers and backwaters and like to stand and steer for periods.
Old 16 August 2020, 12:23   #15

I wonder if anyone still puts in wooden floors these days? I know Zodiac were still doing so around 5yrs ago but not sure now.

Must admit like Mike if a hard floor was needed I liked wood for similar reasons... easy to fix to... easy to trim or repair/replace etc... in my experience never quite as difficult as some alloy floors can be to fit.
Old 16 August 2020, 13:04   #16

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Yes. The main boat is not made anymore. The post is 6 years old, but got some info from it.
Thanks
Nothing has really changed regarding air floor vs hard, size of boat/engine etc. Exactly the same choices and arguments hold true. The Aerotec is not available new but there are plenty of other great SIBs around new.

And as ever lots of superb outfits secondhand- the Aerotec and Yam 15 linked last night in the eBay SIB topic was a killer deal for someone. Engine alone was worth most of that £1500.