Old 29 August 2022, 10:06   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec 420
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 20hp EFI
Aerotec 420 Transom cut for Suzuki DF 20

I just bought an old Aerotec 420 - which makes me very happy as I've been hunting for this boat for a long time but there are hardly any out there anymore. Transom and floor have already been professionally reglued, the floor will need a small patch but otherwise, it looks good, the tubes look mint, with no patches on them.
However, I'm planning to use it with a short shaft Suzuki DF 20. I wonder if there's any downside to modifying the transom for a short shaft, to look like that of the 380? I'm not sure if there was a good reason for Bombard to make this boat a high transom/ long shaft outboard one, other than it was simpler for them to produce as they didn't have to cut the transom.
If it's ok to cut it down to work with a short shaft, how much should I cut? Any recommendations?
Old 29 August 2022, 11:21   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
In my opinion cutting the transom to get what you want on an old SIB is no problem. Just bear in mind many of us have added to the transom on the 380 to stop excessive splash over the transom. So it's not a simple case of trimming off the difference between the short and long shaft lengths. I'd perhaps go about half way and then trial it.
Old 29 August 2022, 11:31   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
This thread may be of interest where there is loads of discussion and photos of folks mods on their 380 transoms. Mine mod is post 69 and a few following. I ended with a 45mm lift over standard which has proved ideal for three different outboards so far. From the images you will see we are all ending up with the OB's AV plate about level with the lower-most part of the transom in the middle.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerote...e-71528-3.html
Old 29 August 2022, 12:02   #4

Make: Bombard Aerotec 420
Engine: Suzuki 20hp EFI
Thank you Fenlander! Yep I'm aware of the mods, I've been lurking the Aerotec mod threads for over a year while trying to find one for myself. I'm planning to do the mod posted by someone who had the splash issue fixed by the Bombard factory, with a wedge installed on the bottom of the V of the transom, that looks like a neat and elegant mod and apparently a factory-recommended fix. Hopefully that will resolve the splash issues, so my transom height mod is more about making sure it performs as best as possible with a short shaft OB. I will go for the AV plate being level with the bottom of the transom then, hopefully that will work well for the 420 as well.

Tags
suzuki