Old 10 April 2015, 06:38   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Aerotec 380 oar length

Hi

I plan on fitting avon type rowlocks tight to the inside of the grab rail of my aerotec 380 and use wooden oars. Any idea of suitable oar length?

Thanks

Steve
Old 10 April 2015, 07:50   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
As long as possible that you can stow if you actually plan on rowing it regularly. I believe the ones for my Avon Redcrest are 7 feet long.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 08:07   #3

I plan to use for launching and landing in shallow areas and emergencies. I was thinking somewhere around 7 - 8ft but want to try and get it right first time. Can i ask what beam across the rowlocks the Redcrest is?
Thanks
Old 10 April 2015, 09:45   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
No idea, but the same or less than yours-they're only 9 feet long roundtails.Any decent size will work, but the bigger they are the easier it'll be to row.

Old 10 April 2015, 09:50   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>plan to use for launching and landing in shallow areas and emergencies

Yes I think that's all SIB owners need and for that long heavy wooden oars are overkill. I'm 5'9" and have never owned a SIB with oars as long as my height.

I rowed my 340 Acti-V for a way yesterday just for the experience and they are really hard work compared to a hard hull of "rowing" shape.

According to the "nerdy" table of comparative SIB sizes I've compiled over the years the Aerotec 380 is 5'5" overall width and my 340 is 5'6". My OE supplied Zodiac oars (the plastic blade/alloy handle two part type) measure 5'3" and suit fine.

I think the max overall internal length of the Aerotec is 8'2" so 7'-8' oars will probably only stow inboard down the centre of the floor where they've measured that max... they'd be a right pain so you'd need to make up/glue on some oar fittings on the top of the tube. I'd go for similar type/length to mine.

Don't Aerotec's come with paddles as standard... only any use when two up I guess.
Old 10 April 2015, 10:26   #6
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Fenlander's probably right. My response is exactly what I said-if you want to row it regularly. For what you say you want, a good pair of paddles will do.

Old 10 April 2015, 13:52   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Dont ask a petrol head if you want to know about oars Stevem.

I regularly row my SIBS and I enjoy the exercise on a good day. If you don’t have an aux engine as backup..be sure you can row your boat or you will need help from others if your engine breaks down.

Dont get paddles..they are as much use as rubber oars when there is only you in the boat and if there is an off shore wind.. you wont make headway back to land.

Get yourself a decent pair of wooden oars.. I find they are best. I don’t like the light weight aluminium oars that most sibs come with. My oars are 5.5 feet long. They split into two for storage. Because a SIB is quite low in the water compared to “normal” row boats..if your oars are too long..it will be hard to draw the oars forward in the air without skimming the water..so I would suggest 6ft max will be fine.

You don’t store oars in the bottom of a SIB either..not if you do it the way other SIBs do it. They are held in the rowlocks by an elastic loop. To stow them..you just lift to oar out the rowlock and the elastic holds the oars in place beside the rowlock. You can then slip the handle end into a rope loop to hold the oar parallel to the boat. Or you can get plastic fittings like on my seago..which the blades sit in.

I sometimes row as much as 5 - 10 miles if Im in the right mood and the weather and wind is fair. It is true that SIBs don’t row as well as traditional boats..becase they are light and the wind tends to skim them across the water..but you can certainly row them.

My avon redcrest 5.5ft wooden oars

My Seago came with 5.5ft aluminium oars which I dumped and use my Avon oars as I prefer a bit of weight in them.

Old 10 April 2015, 17:09   #8

Thanks for the replies.
Think that wooden oars is the way for me to go and will stow on the top tubes as The Gurnard.
Will try 7fters and see how i go. Can always shave a bit off if needed.
Cheers
Old 12 May 2015, 15:25   #9

Well i went for 1.95m oars in the end and they seem about right. I tied them onto the grab rail with a loop of rope to test and get the rowlock position right. They worked fine like this and would be good in an emergency but i wanted something that could take a bit more use (abuse).

I had to cut through the grab rail and remove a section of it as its positioned in the exact area i wanted to put the rowlock. It was a bit nerve racking taking a knife to the boat but the section came out fine.

Name:   ImageUploadedByRIB Net1431443011.539779.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  33.9 KB

When not in use the oars are stored on top of the tubes using shock cord to secure as the Gurnards. I had a blast around with them secured like this and they aint going anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1431443592.628728.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	105322

Just need the weather to start playing ball and i can use them in anger, thanks to all for your input.

Steve.