Views:	406
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	92202

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140316_111651.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	92203

Had my maiden trip out this morning to practice various things like launching, getting wheels on and off, trim positions, seating position etc.

1st time I opened the throttle I got a waterfall over the transom so back to dry land and found a bit of wood to jack the engine up. Back out again and still waterfall. This time I played around with trim position and found having it trimmed all the way out sorted it...almost. I still get a little bit over but I ran it with bungs out and it was bearable.

Next job is to sort something a bit more permanent. I've read old posts and this seems very common so why hasn't bombard addressed the problem? Other than this issue I loved the boat and am so glad I went down the aerotec route. Seemed to handle the chop so well and I had confidence almost straight away. I'm just slightly let down that I have to modify a boat that many say is the best in class.
Old 16 March 2014, 14:08   #2

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Well done at last.

I've read a lot of people have had trouble with water over the back. I set my Mercury on the 2nd trim position and didn't have any problems, I wonder if it's different engines?

Are the launch wheels the correct ones for the Bombard? and like the Zodiac ones are they a pain to get on and off?
Old 16 March 2014, 14:32   #3

Hi stray

The wheels are the original ones and yes they are a pain to get on and off. I've sussed it but my way you have to get one hand low down near the wheel to stop it floating under the boat. Water was freezing lol.

Not sure about engine trim position but the transom slopes out quite a bit and I needed the engine trimmed right out to compensate.

All in all though a great thing to own and now I've been out once I can't wait to go again. Next time I'll take an anchor and a couple of rods with me. I'm going to fit a couple of rod holders to the seat board I think.
Old 17 March 2014, 00:52   #4

Town: Seattle, Washington, USA
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk IIC
Engine: Honda 20hp 4-stroke
Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. I don't read so much, but I do like the pictures.

I've got a a similar boat and engine and I don't have too much of a problem with spray coming over the transom, although I will try to raise it a few cm next time I go out.
Old 17 March 2014, 06:44   #5

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
Try adjusting your position it we behave better if your more up front witha tiller exstension
Old 17 March 2014, 12:49   #6

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Suprised it is doing that for such an expensive boat. Do you mean water is coming in when going along? Or when you slow down quickly?
Old 17 March 2014, 12:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bass Stalker View Post
Suprised it is doing that for such an expensive boat. Do you mean water is coming in when going along? Or when you slow down quickly?
The faster you go, the more water comes into the boat over the transom
Old 17 March 2014, 12:59   #8

Town: Essex
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp
Thats really odd. Are the pressures definitely right? I'm on my third quicksilver pressure guage and they have all been rubbish. Luckily my sib doesn't seem to be fussy with pressure so I just guess now if they ever need any air or if I take apart. Is it coming in both sides? The only time I had it was when my bit of wood with transducer on it was flush with bottom, so shortening half inch sorted it. I think I noticed your tube with it on?
Old 17 March 2014, 18:37   #9

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
The Aerotech is one of the best sibs out there and it gets a lot of its performance from its unique transom design. Unfortunately Im sure its the transom shape that gives so many problems with the water splashing, boatdesigners must make compromises, and with the 380 this is one of them.

Different engines do have more or less splashing, but playing with the saddle height will definately help.
Old 19 March 2014, 19:37   #10

Am I doing the right thing by leaving the bungs out all the time to drain out any that does come over the transom?
Old 20 March 2014, 14:18   #11

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooty78 View Post
Am I doing the right thing by leaving the bungs out all the time to drain out any that does come over the transom?
I tend to leave them out all the time as it clears any water very quickly & I leave mine on the water for up to 3 weeks at times!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2014, 21:37   #12

Engine: 300HP Yam
Sorry to but in, but I was thinking about this the other day and will try it the next time I go out. My rib has a normal drain plug in the transom like you find in a sib, which I only ever undo when washing my rib on land, but it occurs to me I can undo it when at sea whilst planing and it should removing any water from inside the boat correct? Though when I slow right down it will let water in I assume?! I remember once when I put my rib into the water I suddenly saw water coming from it and realised I hadn't put the bung in! D'oh! lol

So do you guys often pull the drain plug whilst planing to remove excess water from within?

Cheers.
Old 20 March 2014, 22:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
Sorry to but in, but I was thinking about this the other day and will try it the next time I go out. My rib has a normal drain plug in the transom like you find in a sib, which I only ever undo when washing my rib on land, but it occurs to me I can undo it when at sea whilst planing and it should removing any water from inside the boat correct? Though when I slow right down it will let water in I assume?! I remember once when I put my rib into the water I suddenly saw water coming from it and realised I hadn't put the bung in! D'oh! lol

So do you guys often pull the drain plug whilst planing to remove excess water from within?

Cheers.
Hi mate, the bungs on the aerotec have a rubber one way valve in them. I was dubious at first but it works! Bungs are push in not screw in like a normal boat.
Old 20 March 2014, 22:30   #14

Engine: 300HP Yam
Yeah my drain plug also has a one way valve inside, its like a black rubber diaphragm and it's also a push in plug not a screw in one, so sounds the same as yours!
Old 21 March 2014, 02:41   #15

Town: Wirral
Boat name: Tigger
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
I had an Aerotec 380/Yam 15hp until last year. Great package to learn with and so much fun.
A tip that I learnt is that if when at full tilt you find some water coming over the transom in to the boat through vigorous splashing, insert a block of wood about two inches thick between the transom and the two engine clamps. This will allow the engine to sit fully clamped but two inches away from the transom, therefore getting rid of any splashing.

It worked with mine

Good luck!
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Time is precious, waste it wisely!
Deekus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 14:08   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekus View Post
I had an Aerotec 380/Yam 15hp until last year. Great package to learn with and so much fun.
A tip that I learnt is that if when at full tilt you find some water coming over the transom in to the boat through vigorous splashing, insert a block of wood about two inches thick between the transom and the two engine clamps. This will allow the engine to sit fully clamped but two inches away from the transom, therefore getting rid of any splashing.

It worked with mine

Good luck!