Old 25 July 2004, 22:19   #1

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Length: 5m +
Engine: 55hp yam
Advise please the use of a small inflatable as 1st boat

Hi all, advise please my mate wants to get into boating and is thinking of getting himself a new small inflatable around 8-10ft with maybe a 4-5hp outboard just to potter about in, I wonder if any of you folks that may have used this type of boat could give some advise about the use of this type, he plans to use it in sheltered water only around the isle of bute, but he tells me in the area he was thinking of the tide can run at up to 5knts, he would like to carry maybe 2 adults and 2 kids, what can he expect from it ect, I am only used to bigger power boats/RIBs ect so I cannot help him to much.

Regards Nick.
Old 25 July 2004, 22:26   #2

Length: no boat
A 4 hp engine can push 1 adult + 2 kids around at 5 knots max, in a maybe 6-8 foot Yam inflatible.

More engine power would definately be needed.

Dan
Old 25 July 2004, 22:29   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Buy a Quicksilver 270 with airdeck. It was my first inflatable and will plane with 2 adults and 2 kids. It'll take up to a 10hp engine, and is fairly friendly on the wallet, at around £700.
Old 25 July 2004, 23:39   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Some good advice above IMHO.

I used to have a 3.6m inflatable with 18hp which carried up to 4 adults reasonably comfortably in calm sheltered water.

The biggest problem was the weight as I had the aluminium floored model. I would definitely consider an "airdeck" model if I was buying again. Zodiacs, although pricey, have the advantage of being the lightest airdeck inflatable on the market.

My only concern would be the seakeeping qualities of a small craft in a strong tidal area. I think that a 3m+ would be appropriate, suitably powered in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation, probably in the region of 15hp. Also bear in mind that these craft, even when fitted with an inflatable keel, are essentially flat bottomed and do not have the same sea keeping qualities of a small fibreglass hulled rigid inflatable.

Edit - thinking back, the 18hp engine gave me 18kts+ which felt extremely fast on a little boat (too fast really - the craft was very twitchy and almost unstable at that speed). Get an inflatable just big enough so you can all sit in it rather than on the tubes.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2004, 09:00   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Even my Quicksilver was too heavy to carry with an engine on the back. I would recommend the use of a trailer; having to inflate a boat every time you want to use it is a real pain!
Old 26 July 2004, 09:35   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
If you're going to keep in on a trailer, then get a RIB not a SIB!

For an inflatable I would definitely suggest an inflatable floor. I have had inflatables with wooden and aluminium floors and now I wouldn't even contemplate anything other than an inflatable floor as it makes everything immeasurably easier.

Around the 3.5m mark would be a good size. Easy enough to carry and store, enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Zodiac have a number of options including:

- Cadet Fastroller 3.4m
- Classic Fastroller 3.5m
- Futura Fastroller 3.7m

These are listed in price and performance order, as well as size!

A 10hp motor will be enough to push you around, a 15 will give you a bit more fun but is heavier to carry. The bigger ones will take up to 25hp which will potentially be quite exciting, but is quite a lump to carry up and down the beach.

Whichever you go for then investing in an LVM Hi-Speed Inflator would be a good move. They're not cheap at about £70, but well worth it!

John
Old 26 July 2004, 10:04   #7
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
I have a 3.4m Zodiac Fastroller with a Mariner 15HP two stroke. This set up is about the limit for me with respect to what I can lift. With a set of launching wheels I can launch and recover single handed with ease.
Engine weighs in at 34KG which is the same as the 10HP.
As John said go for the LVM High speed inflator. You will need to finish off the air deck with a foot pump or a high pressure / low volume inflator.

The new Zodiac cadet fastroller range also has a high pressure keel in addition to the floor.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2004, 11:07   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
I have some experience with small inflatables as my parents have had several as yacht tenders.

The first was a Bombard AX2 with Honda 2HP 4 stroke. This was very light and packed up small, but only took two people. Did about 9 knots on gps one up. However, it soon become came known as the wet arse for obvious reasons as it was useless in any waves. The Honda drank very little fuel but was vey noisy (air cooled) and a pig to start. If you do get a small outboard (4-6HP) make sure it has an external tank or fit one! The Ax2 was only really suitable as a small tender.

We have just replaced the Bombard with an Avon Rover 250 Air deck which came with a Yamaha Malta (2.9HP). The boat is very heavy but fantastic when inflated, it has oversized tubes so you can sit in it. It does 11.7 knots one up with the malta but it will take up to an 8HP.

IMHO I would recommend a 3- 3.5 M Quiksilver or similar with a 9.9. or 15.
Old 26 July 2004, 11:09   #9

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Take a look, too, at the recently launched range of Honda inflatables. Airdeck versions are available in 2.7 and 3.2m lengths and have some neat design touches such as buoyancy pads at the bottom of the transom to handle the heavier 4-stroke engines. They're very well put together and competitively priced. Available at a Honda marine dealer near you

http://www.honda.co.uk/inflatables/
Old 26 July 2004, 21:08   #10

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Bute

Took my Zodiac 3.2 with 6hp Suzuki around Bute a few weeks back. Quite slow and had to be careful with the rough bits. Took myself and 14 year old boy. No problems getting onto the plane with the fuel tank in the bow. Quite wet when tides worked the wrong way, a little scarey but never dangerous. AND I can lift the motor single handed and get it from a marina onto the transom without killing myself.

FYI took me about 2 hours from Rhu to Rothesay at WOT most of the way.

Cheers

Bruce
Old 27 July 2004, 21:30   #11

Town: cheshire
Boat name: Magpie
Engine: 55hp yam
Thank you all for the information, very useful.

Regards Nick.
Old 27 July 2004, 21:54   #12

Town: STOCKPORT
Boat name: Smurf (blame the wife)
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 85
inflatable

you defenatly need a larger engine than a 4hp iv'e got an old inflatable with awooden floor with a wooden strip that forms a keel only used it an a canal and it struggles at about 4 mph with 4 onboard yes the boat is heavy but more power would be needed in tidal waters even with one on board
Old 28 July 2004, 09:26   #13

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
If your friend is concerned about the weight of a bigger engine, then have a look at the Tohatsu 9.8hp 2-stroke which is based on their 8hp engine and weighs a paltry 27kgs. They do a 9.9 of course but that's the same weight as their 15.
Old 28 July 2004, 11:51   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
My first boat was a flat bottomed C-Craft, not sure how long. It had a 25HP engine ... I actually still have this boat. It is flat bottomed with inflatable keel and would pack away into a large bundle if required.

It was great. The boat would carry on a roof rack ready to go inflated. Engine in the boot of the car. Engine was ok to carry my hand. Whole lot was easily launchable with 2 adults. I could even body board off the back on a ski tow.

Was seaworthy and fast enough to be loads of fun. This was the boat in which I learnt most about boat handling and the sea and was the start of a great hobby.

My advice to your friend is .... get the largest boat/HP he can afford, ensuring he will be able to transport it and launch it with whatever resources he has. There is nothing worse than ending up with a boat thats too small for purpose and that's underpowered. It causes frustration and can be dangerous.

For example ... a small engine that pushes along at 8 knots, will be good in a 5 knots head on current!! .... maybe not, you may have a head wind. Also boat load will effect performance. Its not just people and petrol to worry about. Tool kits, ropes, anchors etc all weigh and make a difference in a small boat, as do wet towels and beach gear. Also if you take a wave over the tubes and swamp the boat, you may struggle to dump the water out of the back if you can not push the boat quick enough to allow it to self drain quickly. It's so much better to have more horsepower than only just enough, providing the boat is rated for it.

Use this forum for a guide, however go to a dealer and see the boats, get a feel for their size, see if all the people & kit he wishes to carry fit with space to spare. Pick up the outboard, see if its to heavy to manage. Get some hands on contact. Arrange a test ride!! There may be people on this forum who live local to you that can help in this area if the seller can't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	andyboat.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	7232  

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote