Old 18 February 2021, 12:55   #1

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Length: 3m +
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Advise on Anchor Set Up

I need some advise on the anchor set up that came with my boat when I bought it.

Photos are below shows the 1.6 kg anchor that is connected to 8mt length of rope and the other end has a Airhead Float 14cm L x 25cm Dia and quick connect clip, it also came with 30mts of 9mm rope.

I understand reading reviews you have a length of chain of 6mm around 2/3mts long to hold the anchor down.
The anchor rope being only 8mts long if the water is deeper how dos the Airhead Float work and what is its purpose.

The rope will be going threw the Borika Anchor Lock with Tilt

Can you advise me what set up I should have on my 3.5mt Sib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_114041.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	136331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_113453.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	136332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_143556 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	136333  
Old 18 February 2021, 13:43   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use these the fold up one you have will do just that. i have 6m of chain and 60m of rope with a buoy on the end so if i ditch it i can pick it up again.

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/...waAgqLEALw_wcB
Old 19 February 2021, 07:20   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i use these the fold up one you have will do just that. i have 6m of chain and 60m of rope with a buoy on the end so if i ditch it i can pick it up again.

https://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/...waAgqLEALw_wcB
Thanks for the advice
Old 19 February 2021, 08:02   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The type of anchor depends on where you are looking to hold - check the charts for where you boat.

Grapnels are not much loved really - good to stow but not for real holding - I use a 2kg Bruce type like many and made a folding one, 2m or so of chain is plenty on a SIB and 50m or so of 8mm rope is good.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/chain-...tml#post790126

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/anchor...tml#post769802
Old 19 February 2021, 08:37   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I’ve never seen that anchor cleat arrangement before. A quick Google suggests that although fairly commonly used with kayaks the company do promote it for use with inflatables too. I’m pretty surprised at this as an anchor line exerts considerable force when under load - the way it’s mounted seems to then apply that force through what is effective a lever onto the neck of the device and if that doesn’t break it will be putting quite an unpleasant load on the tubes.

I note that the company’s wording is quite specific “holds the anchor in a raised position”
Old 19 February 2021, 09:25   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The Elling KB350 is poorly set up for anchoring as it is missing the usually found external or internal bow area D-rings.

I too would not be keen on using that central bow mount as the anchoring point.

When my Elling arrives I will have a good look when inflated but consider gluing on D-rings where they are usually found then seeing if there is a fairlead in their mount range to fit on that bow mount. If I didn't want to glue anything to the boat then I'd consider a bridle arrangement to the grab straps low down on the tubes by the floor then the anchor rope running through that mount.
Old 19 February 2021, 09:34   #7

RIBase
Max
Thanks for the advice and the links very interesting read what others do, I have found a 2kg Bruce anchor on the web that i will be buying and will do a set up like you have done,
I have some 4mm chain would this be ok or best to buy some 6mm.

Poly
The Anchor Lock on the front I will be using this in calm conditions mostly on the river where I live, the reason for the advice is this year when possible I would like to fish the estuary and around the coast and want to be prepared being a new comer.

I have read about folding Bruce anchors (What is your opinions on these) or is the non folding one better
Old 19 February 2021, 10:00   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use 10mm chain just because i had some, the chain is the most important bit keeping the pull on the anchor low down & in line with the anchor. the chain lifting not the anchor with movement of the boat hence the longer the chain the better.
as fenlander says that point on the tube top is a bit of a no no i have three rings holding mine with a bow line through all three then shackled to the anchor rope.
have a look at my thread fitting out excel 435 from scratch
Old 19 February 2021, 10:02   #9

RIBase
Fenlander
Where would it be the best place to put the D-Ring/s I wouldn't be a problem putting them on as i have put 2 more Borika mounts to connect the Bimini cords too and 2 for Bimini frame.

Another question would it be advisable to put D-Rings ether side of the bow for anchoring, being towed and winching onto the trailer after I have pulled it so far onto the bunks.
Old 19 February 2021, 10:19   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I would be thinking of the outer position as on this Honwave then lead the anchor (or tow) bridle through the bow handle with a secondary short rope going to your mount so you can get a start pulling it aboard if that makes sense. Or two in similar to the inboard positions of the smaller D-rings on this Honwave then feed the bridle through a lower profile fairlead fitted to that bow mount.

Re towing in my limited experience better to tow from the outer D-ring position as any tow arrangement with a rope over the bow can pull your bow down into waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honwave D rings.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	136339  
Old 19 February 2021, 11:43   #11

Make: Elling kB 350
I’m keeping an eye on this thread to see what you and fenlander decide to do before I do anything to mine when I get it lol.
I think I’ll be using one of those parachute anchor things mainly for when I’m fishing. It’s supposed to help stop drifting too much in the wind and they are only about £20 to buy.
Old 19 February 2021, 13:01   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I use a Cooper anchor & a 30m leaded line with a couple of metres of stainless 8mm chain. The leaded line is more SIB friendly as is the Cooper anchor. The chain is to stop chafing at the pointy end. The whole lot fits in a soft bag not much bigger than a couple of bags of flour. I have a small multi use fender that I can clip on the end if I have to ditch the lot.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 15:27   #13

Please forgive me, but, why would you need to ditch the anchor?
Old 19 February 2021, 16:05   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
Please forgive me, but, why would you need to ditch the anchor?

Let’s say you’re anchored up in a bay for lunch. You want to go ashore/fishing/for a swim, rather than haul in the anchor you can leave it where it is with a float on the end, do what you have to do & come back & hook on later.
That’s just one scenario, there are others.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 16:16   #15

Thanks for the explanation, I still can’t quite see why you’d leave the anchor out, but, maybe when I get my own boat I’ll understand it better. I’ll be getting the same set up as you pikey Dave and also one of those bungee ropes. I’m sure once I start boating I’ll understand a lot of things much better. I know I’ll make mistakes, hopefully I’ll learn from them.
Old 19 February 2021, 16:35   #16

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Imagine you are happily fishing away on a lovely calm day. You are anchored .. hopefully from the bow and not the stern as some fools do.

Suddeny a fast fishing boat or ferry passed by at speed..kicking up a 2 meter wake behind them....and if you think that wont happen you are mistaken.

A 2m high wall of water wake is now heading for your wee boat. Thats when you will wish you had a float on your anchor warp and you can quickly untie and throw it over ..hopefully your boat will bob over the wake if its not shacked to the ground.

Hope the answers your question ..or at least give you an idea why its not wise to anchor from the stern especially..I have seen small boats completely swamped because the wake came straight over the transom
Old 19 February 2021, 16:51   #17

Ahhhhh got it now. Hopefully that’ll never happen to me but it’s always best to know what to do before it happens.
Old 19 February 2021, 16:52   #18

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
You are in denial if you think it wont happen to you

If you cant imagine it..here is a still from one of last years videos I made. I was happily anchored ..fishing away when this boat passed withing 100m of me. I has just enough time to realise what was going to happen so unclipped the anchor rope and my boat bobbed over the wake although some water came over the tube side as I was side and slightly rearward to the wake.

Hope that now illustrates why its wise to have a buoy..if not..and you throw the anchor warp clear..you have lost it

Old 19 February 2021, 16:55   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Advise on Anchor Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post

Poly

The Anchor Lock on the front I will be using this in calm conditions mostly on the river where I live, the reason for the advice is this year when possible I would like to fish the estuary and around the coast and want to be prepared being a new comer.
Mmm... whilst the waves in the river might be smaller the current may not be. I’d guess the loads are still quite high, especially when bedding it in.

Quote:
I have read about folding Bruce anchors (What is your opinions on these) or is the non folding one better

I’m not familiar with a folding bruce - but really for a sib you want to keep things simple, folding/moving parts are just another thing to jam/tangle need TLC - really a bog standard bruce will do the job.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:00   #20

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
My favorite reason for a float on the end of the anchor rode is when you sitting fishing on the edge of a shipping lane and you see a ship seemingly heading right for your tiny sib, you watch it get closer and realise they cant or haven't seen you & you no longer have time to pull all that rope up to get out the way quickly. Just unclip the rode dump it over the side and motor away until he is past, danger over, recover anchor which is on the end of the float.