Old 19 February 2021, 17:08   #21

Make: Elling kB 350
Length: 3m +
I really appreciate the knowledge on here. I now know what to expect and how to deal with it if it happens. I don’t think I’m likely to be at anchor much but situations change constantly and out on the water I doubt if any 2 days are the same maybe even 2 hours. It’s the knowledge and experience on here that gives me the confidence to start up boating.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:15   #22

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel1965 View Post
Please forgive me, but, why would you need to ditch the anchor?

A few reasons including the ones PD highlighted.

Not quite the same but when we’re out all day in the bay wakeboarding, kneeboarding, donoughting etc. etc. with the kids often convenient to leave the toys clipped to a spare anchor/float in chest deep water. Too many toys to carry aboard so cool to form a floating corral/pontoon clear of the surf zone. We can also moor the boat to this using an anchor buddy, for lunch stops or the like.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:16   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
I really appreciate the knowledge on here. I now know what to expect and how to deal with it if it happens. I don’t think I’m likely to be at anchor much but situations change constantly and out on the water I doubt if any 2 days are the same maybe even 2 hours. It’s the knowledge and experience on here that gives me the confidence to start up boating.

It’s good practice to leave the “bitter end” of the anchor warp, either attached to the boat or a float. Then when you chuck the hook over the side, you don’t see the end disappear into the depths.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 17:19   #24

I’m glad I asked the question. Maybe the advice given will help more than just me.
Old 19 February 2021, 17:36   #25

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
I’m glad I asked the question. Maybe the advice given will help more than just me.
Yes.. Im sure others will learn as I have seen some terrible bad habits when folk try to anchor .. leaning over the front to tie onto a D Ring below the tubes etc.

Its the lazy line or painter that is tied to the D Rings. You drop anchor and feed out the warp. The warp does not need tied to the boat at all. Once you have enough warp out ..tie a knot like an alpine butterfly knot in the warp (Its basically a fancy loop that can be untied easily. ) Now take a shackle and join the end of the lazy line to the knot on the warp. Obviously keep the unused length of warp in the boat..and when its time toi up anchor ..pull it in and this brings the shackle back to you..unclip and continue pulling in the warp.Simple when you know the recommended techniques

Re stern anchoring ..Its the same reason that when you land on a beach and there are wave breaking on it. Jump out and instantly turn the bow round to face into the waves then haul the boat out backwards. If you dont the waves hit the flat wall of the transom and fill the boat within seconds.

There is an art to boating.. and not all forum advice is good advice ..so research or take official training and learn the ropes properly
Old 19 February 2021, 18:30   #26

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
If you read build threads on here you get not just how to but why as well. there’s lots of different ways to do stuff that suits different folk just pick the bits that suit you there’s plenty of good books out there too. And more of less most stuff on YouTube.
Old 19 February 2021, 20:07   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
If you read build threads on here you get not just how to but why as well. there’s lots of different ways to do stuff that suits different folk just pick the bits that suit you there’s plenty of good books out there too. And more of less most stuff on YouTube.

Just to expand on what Jeff says, in boating, as in many other things in life, there’s rarely a right or wrong way to do something. There are too many variables to consider (a bit like wave height & length of boat[emoji6]) to have a hard & fast rule book.
There’s more than one way to skin a cat..
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 07:20   #28

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Thanks for the feedbacks and advice.

I will be setting it up as recommended with a 2kg Bruce anchor, 3m 6mm chain & 30m of rope, for safety will carry another 20/30m for back up if not sure of the depth.

I have put a photo below of the bow with the rope going threw the Anchor Lock that is tilted down then through the bow grab handle,
The Elling KB350 hasn't got any D-Rings fitted at the bow, is recommended fitting them if so where is the best place to put them, D-Rings being ether side of the bow how would I connect the anchor rope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210219_194755_BURST001_COVER.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	136355  
Old 20 February 2021, 09:43   #29

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Advise on Anchor Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks and advice.

I will be setting it up as recommended with a 2kg Bruce anchor, 3m 6mm chain & 30m of rope, for safety will carry another 20/30m for back up if not sure of the depth.

I have put a photo below of the bow with the rope going threw the Anchor Lock that is tilted down then through the bow grab handle,

The Elling KB350 hasn't got any D-Rings fitted at the bow, is recommended fitting them if so where is the best place to put them, D-Rings being ether side of the bow how would I connect the anchor rope.

I wouldn’t run the anchor rope down through the front grab handle.

You want to be able to haul the anchor back into the boat. I don’t have a fixed roller or anything on my Excel 330, I tie off to the 2x D rings port and starboard at the bow, they’re inside the tubes near the floor.

I’ll plop the anchor over the bow but hauling back in I do over the side of the boat as it feels much safer and I can see the line and anchor coming back to me through the water before it hits the boat, and I don’t have to lean out at all.

IMHO that plastic anchor roller is a bit of a gimmick to me, my anchor is going straight into a bag or bucket when it’s covered in mud and salt. I wouldn’t want it hanging off the front of the boat dribbling down the front, and going through the grab handle means your anchor is either dragging under the boat as you go along, or becoming detached and ruining your prop, or you’re leaning out way to far to have to untie it anyway at which point, why go through the bow grab handle?

Rambling, sorry. In short:

Have anchor
Tie to D rings inside boat
Plop over the side
Kick back and relax
Old 20 February 2021, 11:52   #30

RIBase
pumpkinking

You have not rambled on at all & thanks for the advice and explanation on how you use a anchor.
If you tie off to the 2x D rings port and starboard at the bow inside the tubes, How do you tie up so the rope hangs over the centre of the bow.

The plastic anchor roller came with the boat I can see what you all mean and wont be using it.

If I was to put a cleat into the Borika mount on the bow and tie a cleat hitch knot on the anchor rope would that be good

The D-Rings as I have not got them on my KB350 is recommended to buy 2 and glue them to the inside like pumpkinking has said or outside like on the Honwave.

If so any recommendation where to buy the D-Rings.
Old 20 February 2021, 12:48   #31

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Advise on Anchor Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
pumpkinking

You have not rambled on at all & thanks for the advice and explanation on how you use a anchor.

If you tie off to the 2x D rings port and starboard at the bow inside the tubes, How do you tie up so the rope hangs over the centre of the bow.

The plastic anchor roller came with the boat I can see what you all mean and wont be using it.

If I was to put a cleat into the Borika mount on the bow and tie a cleat hitch knot on the anchor rope would that be good

The D-Rings as I have not got them on my KB350 is recommended to buy 2 and glue them to the inside like pumpkinking has said or outside like on the Honwave.

If so any recommendation where to buy the D-Rings.

Ah great, internet can be an ambiguous place and I always worry I’m coming off as obnoxious!

I tie the end of the anchor rope to one D ring and the slack to the other, once the anchor is on the sea bed.

Tbh I don’t worry about it going dead straight over the centre of the bow. The wind will straighten out the boat or spin it around a bit anyway. But, I don’t have any kind of bow runner/roller/cleat. Others will make a bridle between the two D Rings (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread?) so that the anchor line comes off the centre line of the boat.

If there is a good cleat option for that front Borika mount on yours that sounds like good tidy option to me if you want to fix the line coming dead off the bow. I’m picturing a clear would be a lot lower down and closer to the tube so less lever force to worry about.

But I’d just use the cleat to guide the rope and keep it tidy. I’d definitely still tie the anchor rope off to a nice secure D ring inside the boat

If I had a choice I’d put 3 D rings in the bow, inside the tubes, a few inches above the floor, on either side and one dead centre. Always useful to tie stuff down! I might even think about adding an extra one to my Excel...

I should say, I don’t fish - when I anchor it’s to take photographs, make audio recordings (I’m a theatre sound engineer) or just relax.

Others who do fish might have specific suggestions for anchoring that I don’t know about.
Old 20 February 2021, 13:18   #32

Sibfisher. I was looking at the borika fittings and was thinking would it be an idea to buy 3 off of the borika rings and fit them either side in the first 2 borika mounts and the 3rd one in the front borika mount then maybe tie a length of rope through them and attache the anchor to that rope. It’s just an idea as some on here have said about using a rope through the D rings.
Borika seem to do a lot of fittings for their mounts do it might be worth having a look at what they do before going to the hassle of glueing things onto the boat.
In reading this thread I know now how to tie an alpine butterfly knot so I’ve been practising. Practice makes perfect lol.
Old 21 February 2021, 16:47   #33

RIBase
With all the advice that you all have given I have now some idea what direction to go, below is a setup that I put together to start with, but has mentioned depending on different places and circumstances things can change.
I have used the borika mounts with 2 borika cleats.

I will be using 2kg Bruce anchor on a 6mm x 2.5mt chain shackled to 30mts of rope.

The photo shows the rope from the anchor going to the centre bow borika mount with borika cleat in it, I have tied the rope around the cleat using a cleat hitch knot, Last year I put 2 more borike mounts either side of the bow for tying the bimini front cords too this I have put another cleat in this and shackled the spare rope to it between this I have the floating ball

What do think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210221_141307 (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	136368