Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 10 March 2021, 03:04   #1

Length: 4m +
Advice sought re: transom refurbishment 2000 4.2m Quicksilver/Mercury

Hi folks, I'm after some advice re: a 2000 model 4.2m Quicksilver/Mercury SIB purchased 3 years that is showing some transom wear. Overall the PVC seems like it is good nick and the boat has always been covered. Photos coming soon, but the plastic material wrapping the transom is split along the join on both the inside and outside of the transom and is showing signs of water ingress. In addition, one of the tubes is starting to separate from the transom so it seems like the original glue is reaching the end of its life.

I think I know what the answer is, my question nonetheless is would it be best this winter to remove the transom and dry it out (it seems sound but I would replace if showing signs of rot), clean up glue reside etc then reglue the wrapping material and all then reinstall the transom appropriately? Would I need to worry about the floor separating at this point, given the age of the vessel?

Any advice much appreciated - there is no huge hurry to perform the job but just planning what needs to be done this winter, cheers Dan
Old 10 March 2021, 03:11   #2

and the photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	136515   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	136516   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	136517   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	136519  
Old 12 March 2021, 03:14   #3

Town: Langkawi, Malaysia
Length: no boat
Hi Dan, as you mentioned in your post," it seems the original glue is reaching the end of its life". This will indicate that you may have the same issue at some other part of your SIB in the near future. It would be a good winter project to clean/replace the transom. Yes you have to be aware that the floor might separate form the tube. You could use marine plywood and apply 2-3 coats of resin and install it.
Old 12 March 2021, 03:57   #4

Cheers Eric, much appreciated!

Other advice I've received is to replace the transom (unless the old one is in A1 condition) and do away with the plastic wrap and simply epoxy the new one, clean up and reglue. I'll have a good look at the state of the floor and make a call as to whether this needs doing and if not keep an eye on it in future,

cheers

Dan
Old 12 March 2021, 19:10   #5

Town: Yorkshire
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Hi Dan, I went through part of this a few years ago when I noticed the glue failing on my aerotec ( http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...oor-77045.html )...hope that link works
Basically reglued the floor and transom although the floor was probably good for a little longer, it meant I had it all done and so not worrying about any imminent failure. Transom was fine on mine, so best bet would be to get it to pieces first and if it is rotten, use it as a template for a new one. Good luck with it.