Old 30 March 2016, 17:44   #1

Town: Coventry
Make: Seago
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Advice required please.

Hi, I'm sure I may know the answer to my first question on the forum....however! I bought a Seago 260 last Dec and thanks go to The Gurnard for his pm advice. The boat was initially bought as a rescue craft for my RC Yacht (yes really!) but my wife says she fancies getting out and about with me now too, so...... this will really be too small for both of us & 3 wire haired dachsies! I'm thinking of a 3.5 Honwave Ali floor but, and this is the but, I only have a Yamaha 2.5. I am only looking at pottering about so have no illusions of getting this on the plane!!. Will obviously look at upgrading the motor but as funds are somewhat constricted just wondered whether this would be possible for this season and to get the wife on the water. I'm not looking at open seas and I'm only considering flat calm outings obviously. Thoughts please. Ta
Old 30 March 2016, 17:59   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi mate
Don't know your budget but might be worth an eBay visit you could get an up grade plus motor for a reasonable price but a 2.5 will push you about in sheltered areas if you go boat only.

Cheers
Old 30 March 2016, 19:34   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've owned the 3.5m Honwave with alloy floor. Great quality, keen price, lovely strong flat floor, very stable and roomy.

But... it's very heavy and took more pushing by its outboard than any other SIB I've owned. Also quite time consuming to assemble if you are doing a daily setup.

Why not look at a smaller air floor like the 3.2m Honwave or a Zodiac 3.4m Acti-V??
Old 30 March 2016, 19:42   #4

Town: evesham
Boat name: philipe
Make: zodiac
my first sib was an old Zodiac wooden floor. Changed to a Zodiac 3.4 airfloor. With a Bravo pump the airfloor is a pleasure to use. Would never say that about the hard floor.
Old 30 March 2016, 20:33   #5

Advice??

Thanks for the replies. Did wonder about the weight issue. How sturdy is the airfloor on the Honwaves? Just thinking about dogs claws etc. Assembly time isn't an issue as it will be inflated for our holidays rather than on a daily basis.
Old 30 March 2016, 21:16   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
If you're looking for a solo boat, the Zodiac Fastroller 340 is the way to go. It's good size for me to roll up and carry under one arm.

It's almost an entirely welded PVC construction too. In the UK, it'll last you an eternity.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2016, 21:22   #7

Hi Brabii.
I own a Honwave 3.5ae.
I can only echo what others have said.
Heavy, roomy, sturdy and time consuming to assemble.
I often use it with a Suzuki 2.5hp 4 stroke for fishing and pottering around the coast.
I wouldn't venture much more than a mile off shore with it.
Having said that it has always pushed through chop and tidal flows all be it very slowly at times.
It has always got me where I've wanted to get to.
It is very flat bottomed and does have a fair bit of drag but I've never had any issues pushing it with along with 2.5hp.
Mostly use it on my own with the 2.5hp for fishing but often have my mate or dad aboard.
In short as a tender to a larger vessel (1 or 2 up) it will do the job.
Old 30 March 2016, 22:36   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> Assembly time isn't an issue as it will be inflated for our holidays rather than on a daily basis.

If you never use it for a daily inflate but just set up for 7-14 days periods it does make an alloy floor less of an issue.

I've had loads of air floors and always take the dog... never a problem. After all they are just as likely to damage a tube standing up to look out.
Old 31 March 2016, 19:20   #9

Many thanks for all your replies. It seems that it may be a possibility as does the 3.2 airfloor. I will ponder over this one for a while I am sure but really grateful for all your advice. Will let you know the outcome in due course. Cheers.