Old 26 July 2010, 11:43   #1
Jam

Town: Gloucester
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Advice Please Valves/Guage/Pumps

Hi, I'm completely neew to the world of SIBs - I've just picked up a zodiac 3.8m SIB.

It has recessed valves - can anyone give me advice on a good compatible pump (that won't take all day) also a pressure gauge. I don't ask much

Thanks
Old 26 July 2010, 15:03   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Little more info may help:

If it's a new Zodiac, you've probably got the "New Short" halkey Roberts valves. As opposed to the old short H-R valves, or the old H-R valves.

If you want a manual pump, the standard is the Bravo line of footpumps (most SIBs come with one, I think); the Model 2 (basic), or the Model 10 (I think it was) which had a sort of pressure guage built-in, plus a high pressure stage.

There are also a wide range of handpumps (think "bicycle pump on steroids"), but I don't know anything about them. Might take a look at some river rafting suppliers for info on them.

For electric, again there's a pretty wide array of choices, but most will require you to bulk-inflate, then top off with a manual pump. The exceptions are the Bravo 12 (both standard and the BST), which will pump beyond what your tubes require (you'll pay for that convenience, though.)

Don't know about pressure gauges.

jky
Old 29 July 2010, 17:57   #3

Town: Pasadena
Boat name: El Barco Más Rudo
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 40HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
Hi, I'm completely neew to the world of SIBs - I've just picked up a zodiac 3.8m SIB.

It has recessed valves - can anyone give me advice on a good compatible pump (that won't take all day) also a pressure gauge. I don't ask much

Thanks
My boat came with the venerable Avon foot pump but I find it's easier to fill by hand so I got one of the "double action" hand pumps for about US$10. I modified with a longer hose so I can use it when the boat's on the trailer without getting in the boat. It takes about 15 minutes to fill the boat from empty and the workout is free

As for a gauge, I have the one that's listed on this page and it works well:

http://www.henshaw.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.7
Old 14 September 2010, 20:36   #4

Town: mexico
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15 hp mariner 2 s
Hello

I got both air pumps and use the bravo to inflate the complete boat this pump it´s a high volume pump and you can get 3.5 lbs presure, the double hang pump i use only to get more presure at the keel, this pump is a high presure you can get 12 lbs (not recomended)