Old 23 June 2011, 00:55   #1

Town: Macclesfield
Length: 5m +
advice please re etech and medline

Hi Everyone

I originally posted this in th welcome section - but as I have only had one reply I have copied it here too!

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself and ask for any advice people want to give.

About me
I am in my late 40's and have lived around boats all my life, mainly the sailing variety and used small inflatables as tenders.

I have attended the 2 day power boat course on the river Mersey and have used the cert to hire boats abroad.

My wife and I live on a Narrowboat near Macclesfield and we have a 20ft day sailer on a resevoir in Derbyshire.

Whilst I am an experienced sailor/boater I know "not a lot" about RIBs and large outboards.

What I am about to buy....
We spend some time each year at lake Garda in Italy and have decided to buy a RIB to keep there - storage and mooring is sorted. The boat will be used for harbour hopping and as our own private beach afloat. We will only tow very occaisionally and then only a doughnut, we are talking maybe one day a year.

Because Garda is a sunny place we think a Zodiac Medline 550 (hepalon) will be a suitable boat - any comments/advice welcome - We also like the SACS S530 and have been told that the SACS is a much much better boat than the Zodiac - like comparing a Ford with a BMW??? We don't know - but as SACS is made in Milan maybe that would be a better choice.

I would welcome any comments or other sugestions of similar layout boats under 6m - we like the idea of 2 sunbed areas as she likes sun and I like shade under the bimini.

When it comes to engines I have probably decided on a 90hp - and I like the evinrude etec - mainly because of the technology allowing it to 'self winterise' and only requiring a service every 3 years or 300hrs. Remember we will be keeping it in Italy and I am sure the local 'costa mint' engineers won't use the same 'mates rates' I am used to in england with my lifelong contacts. Anything that keeps unnecessary expense down is good.

Any other engine suggestions are also welcome. Is a 90 the right choice or do I need to go to the Boat Max of 115?

All help is welcome

Cheers

Roy