Old 20 March 2017, 21:58   #81

Town: Exeter
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff B View Post
Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you're gonna love it mate.

As for engine, it's a tough one. I had exactly the same dilemma. I only had £1100 to spend, horses v age basically. I went for four stroke and 2013, yeah the extra 7 'stated' horse power on the side of the old high hours 1996 Yam 2 stroke would have been a bonus but the smooth quiet efficient 18 Tohatsu horses and low running hours leave me feeling confident and still with a smile on my face. Getting the T40 up on top of the water two up is effortless. Fuel economy is fantastic, but it's a bit of a lump. I wouldn't want to carry it too far.

Keep us posted on the next leg of your journey and show us some pictures ��
I certainly will keep you updated. I think I just need to be patient. Hopefuly something will come in thats local to me before the summer.
Old 20 March 2017, 22:00   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Just my opinion but...

I've owned a large selection of sub 25hp 2-stroke outboards over the past 20yrs. Late 70s Suzukis & Yamaha, mid 80s Mariners, late 90s Mercury, early-mid 2000s Tohatsu, Mariner & Mercury. Sizes including 2/3.5/4/8/9.8/9.9/15/20/25hp. About a dozen outboards in all.

All bar two have been bought privately, half of them with no demo before buying, and they have been between 6 and 25yrs old at time of ownership.

Not one has suffered any issues related to engine condition, just routine service work and the odd carb gasket kit, perished hose, seized tilt lock etc.

It's my opinion that in general smaller leisure use outboards get very little use so suffer minimal wear.

To me the dogs and dodgy history claims are fairly easy to weed out.... just ask loads of questions of the seller and if anything doesn't add up walk away.
Thanks for the advice, I guess the question is whether I spend a premium at a dealer or take a chance privately. Hopefully something soon will come up. The ones I've seen are all too far away.
Old 20 March 2017, 22:41   #83

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> spend a premium at a dealer or take a chance privately.

Ah now this is where I have the reverse thoughts to most folks.

Private purchase meet or speak to the guy who's been using it for the last X years and find out what he can tell you about the service regime and use history. Get a good feel for the OB and what it's been used for. You might get to see what they swapped it for and hear why... see the boat it was used on. Check out their gaff, car and the like... not for being posh... just being cared for. All helps form a picture.

Dealer. Perhaps just had it traded in with no real proof of its past. Ok they will give you a receipt and a warranty in writing... but that's no use if it cags out in the rough and you need the paddles.

So the advantages of each seller type are not so clear.
Old 20 March 2017, 23:03   #84

Cracking advice there Fenlander. Same advice goes for buying cars motorbikes etc privately.
Im not one for dealing with dealers who are only there to give a what your trading in a quick polish and a price hike for the newbie buyer.
The adverts fo We Buy Any Car really wind me up - I hate James Corden to boot!
Good luck Toonpirate you won't go far wrong listening to Fenlanders advice.
Old 21 March 2017, 08:33   #85

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.outboardmarine.co.uk/6_suzuki

come across this site seem cheep
Old 21 March 2017, 08:40   #86
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
https://www.outboardmarine.co.uk/6_suzuki

come across this site seem cheep
Mentioned a few days ago. Conclusion is it has all the hallmarks of a Scam. Address is a towerblock. Selling engines cheaper than trade price. Says "find it cheaper in Australia...". Claims to have been around since 2001, but nobody here knows them.
Old 21 March 2017, 08:57   #87

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Mentioned a few days ago. Conclusion is it has all the hallmarks of a Scam. Address is a towerblock. Selling engines cheaper than trade price. Says "find it cheaper in Australia...". Claims to have been around since 2001, but nobody here knows them.
yep tried contacting them no joy
Old 21 March 2017, 09:01   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It certainly looks that way. Thanks for looking though and the advice on the dealer / private seller. Some good points that I do use when buying a car so you are correct it should translate to engine buying
Old 21 March 2017, 09:14   #89

RIBase
BRAND NEW 20 hp Parsun outboard 4 stroke short shaft, tiller control boat engine | eBay

dont know how you feel about parsun worth looking at the secondhand stuff too
Old 21 March 2017, 09:29   #90

Not too keen on the Parsun from what I have read. I've seen this Mercury which looks perfect and nicely priced, however it is a little far away. Outboard couriers seem to be in short supply I guess due to hazardous transport regs etc.
Mercury - 20hp four stroke (F20M) Boat Engines for sale in Hampshire, South East | Boats and Outboards
Old 21 March 2017, 09:46   #91

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
TP probably the most important thing re engine choice is to assess just what you can lift in comfort with the way you operate and store your SIB. It's not about the ability to lift the weight as such... more handling that weight in a top heavy slippery thing with sharp bits that dig in you... possibly over sand/rocks or on a greasy slip.

But if you keep to the plan of using a trailer with minimal handling at home when it's stored then I guess you'll be OK with any used OB up to 25hp (up to 56kg or so).

Noticed this which sold the other day... looked very clean and great value....

yamaha 20hp tiller outboard | eBay

Thats the sort of thing I'd be looking out for.
Old 21 March 2017, 09:50   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
TP probably the most important thing re engine choice is to assess just what you can lift in comfort with the way you operate and store your SIB. It's not about the ability to lift the weight as such... more handling that weight in a top heavy slippery thing with sharp bits that dig in you... possibly over sand/rocks or on a greasy slip.

But if you keep to the plan of using a trailer with minimal handling at home when it's stored then I guess you'll be OK with any used OB up to 25hp (up to 56kg or so).

Noticed this which sold the other day... looked very clean and great value....

yamaha 20hp tiller outboard | eBay

Thats the sort of thing I'd be looking out for.
Now that looks perfect for my use. I think I am going to have to be patient which isn't one of my virtues !
Old 21 March 2017, 09:55   #93

RIBase
that merc looks tidy 270 hours ish max in good nick for a 2009 bit far as you say but you could barter to pay for your fuel when you get there, for me i always have a look and feel with engines not knocking anyone that dosnt, i just like to hear them running OMO
Old 21 March 2017, 10:42   #94

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Try this lot for a quote https://www.anyvan.com not sure about outboards but don't ask don't get. I got my 3.2 HW plus box of stuff Yorkshire to London for £50 ish
Old 21 March 2017, 18:30   #95

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
I've got a 20hp Mariner 4 stroke for the back of my T40 and it's about as heavy as I'd want to carry that's for sure.
Old 21 March 2017, 19:09   #96

Yup agreed Duggy. I've got your Mariners stablemate in a Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke. It's an awkward heavy brute to lift. I have 2 sibs I use it on.
1 HONWAVE 3.5AE on a trailer.
2 HONWAVE T3.8 air floor on transom wheels.

I carry the engine in the car boot to launch point. I always move the transom of each sib as close to the car boot as i can get it each time I lift and mount the engine. I wouldn't want to carry it any distance especially over slippery stones or uneven terrain.
The Honwave 4.0ae is a massive heavy brute of a Sib as well.
For most places that I use my Honwave 3.5ae I use a 4x4 with the Sib trailererd and a set of launch wheels as well.
The trailer doesn't get wet.
I didn't enjoy the pack, blow up, build, deflate, pack, unpack, wash and repack routine.
It actually put me off using it on many occasions - hence the trailer.
The T3.8 is much quicker to set up and slightly easier to man handle

[ATTACH]118591[/ATTACHClick image for larger version

Name:	1490123239776.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	118593].Click image for larger version

Name:	1490122795859.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	118588Click image for larger version

Name:	1490122867677.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	118589Click image for larger version

Name:	1490122912184.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	118590
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1490123089511.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	118591  
Old 22 March 2017, 07:31   #97

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
Maybe pop along to your nearest outboard dealer and ask if you can have a lift of a few engines to give you a feel of what we're all talking about. The numbers we're quoting 52kg, 56kg etc don't sound a lot, but they really are an awkward shape to lift. Just a suggestion mate, but it might help you make a your mind up. As mentioned above my transom is about as close to the car as possible moving my Tohatsu 18 from car to boat.
Old 23 March 2017, 19:36   #98

Thanks for the replies. I have an eye on a Tohatsu, but then I found these engine transit frames. A quick weld of some wheels on to the frame, and adaptions then wheel out the back of my van and fit onto the SIB.
Old 24 March 2017, 09:59   #99

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Grey Reef
Make: Smartwave
Engine: Tohatsu MFS20E EPTL
When I bought my engine the guy included an engine stand with it which I thought was a rather ingenious idea - basically, one of the bag stands from a Royal Mail sorting office. It's got wheels on it, isn't heavy but is strong and works a treat!

Essentially the same as this but with the 2 top spars lopped off and a nice thick wooden batten in place to hang the motor off...

Old 24 March 2017, 14:41   #100

A great idea. I ll probably do something very similar.