Old 12 March 2017, 19:13   #61

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ash you did so well to get that engine upgrade deal to 25hp. When I bought my Suizuki 20hp there was a similar problem getting one but I just had to wait a bit longer. That offer was never made to me and it would have tied me in knots as I just couldn't lift the 25 about with a daily inflate/carry in car use... but I'd have been torn to get that 3cyl engine for if I ever went back to trailing something!

I've read the pilot notes on a couple of sites re the Teign estuary mouth and I just hope the weather gives us a few decent days in July.

Think I'll start a Teignmouth thread so you and others can anser a few questions I have.
Old 12 March 2017, 21:39   #62

Town: Exeter
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwatkins View Post
John Bridger were doing a good package as well, with a Honda or Mercury engine. I went to Ash Marine as they're a Suzuki main dealer, and I wanted a 4 stroke fuel injected engine. I was lucky as I ordered a 20hp, but there was a long delay. Suzuki gave me the 25hp for just the extra £50 postage.

The good thing about Bridgers is that they've got the full range set uo in the show room. They difference in sizes is really noticable when they're side by side. I went for the T40 because of the extra beam size and the tubes are much bigger as well.

The T40 us a great bit of kit. You're more than welcome to pop over to see my set up. If the weathers OK we could get her on the water.

Ash
Superb thanks, I ll have a look in Exeter this week. I may just take you up on that offer of a look if thats ok.
Old 12 March 2017, 21:41   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Having owned a 3.5m version of the alloy floor Honwave in the past I'd go for one without hesitation for the use you describe. Setting up at home the night before onto a trailer you keep on edge against the wall would be loads easier than the faff of a daily setup adj the slip.

Alloy floors can be a pig to get together when folks are watching!

We were 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog in our 3.5... very roomy and stable for its size... the 4.0 can only be better.
Thanks for that, I've seen this one which looks good,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ler/1219538762
Old 12 March 2017, 22:31   #64

That Gumtree outfit is... to my mind... far too expensive.

You could get the boat/OB as a brand new package for that and when buying a 5yr old used package you would expect to get far more than the trailer in for free.

Look at this outfit that made £1600 a month ago... the 4.0m plus same OB just 2yrs older on a launch trailer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honwave-4m...YAAOSwTuJYpb7o
Old 13 March 2017, 07:29   #65

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonpirate View Post
Thanks Cliff, I may go for the smaller T35, I'm undecided.
If you're used to the SR which is a phenomenally capable boat then a 3.5m will feel very small even without the console. And if you're going to set up at home and trailer anyway then really no reason to go for the 3.5m. The 4m will be advantageous in every way.
Old 13 March 2017, 10:53   #66

Town: Benfleet
Make: Honda Honwave T40
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18 4 stroke
I agree with Fenlander completely on the price. I paid £923 for my T40-AE2 (brand new), £1100 for my Tohatsu 18MFS 2013, £150 for a second hand trailer and I've spent £300 on launch wheels, bow bag, seat bag and cover. (All genuine Honda Honwave accessories and new)

As Max says if you're gonna tow from home the T40 is the way to go. I'm really pleased with mine.

Cliff
Old 13 March 2017, 11:40   #67

Thanks for all the advice, T40 is looking good, I'm missing the SR already !
Old 13 March 2017, 12:22   #68

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I know the feeling, I still miss my SR 4.7. Fantastic boats but SIB's are a lot of fun too. Be sure to get the biggest engine it will take too.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:17   #69

https://www.gumtree.com/reply/1219563893

Any comments on the above especially outboard size of 8hp. Will this struggle with two adults and 2 teenagers ?

Regards

Steve
Old 18 March 2017, 15:26   #70

Hi Toonpirate.
I've got a Honwave 3.5ae.
My tohatsu 15hp planed with 2 adults and 2 kids and loads of gear - it did take a little bit of time to get up tho. I changed the carb to uprate it to 20hp and the difference was very apparent - it jumps onto the plane straight off now
I think your going to struggle with 8 hp on tap to get that set up to plane with the pay load you mentioned.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:31   #71

It'll push you all along but it's not gonna set your world alight Steve!
Old 18 March 2017, 17:32   #72

Further to my last i think the 8hp will plane one up with a light load onboard. Any more weight and your gonna be restricted to displacement speeds only😞.
Old 18 March 2017, 17:38   #73

Yep last few posts spot on. My Honwave 3.5AE was used with a 15hp 2-stroke and was only ever lively if we reduced to 1 adult and 2 light teens. Adding the extra adult plus dog and kit really bogged it down.

Like Kaman I'd say the 8hp would be fine to plane 1 up with min kit on flat water and just possible with 2 up if lightish folks. But your load will pull you down to making minimal progress against the outgoing tide somewhere like Teignmouth (for example).
Old 20 March 2017, 16:41   #74

Purchased a Honwave T40 AE, now I just need to find an good second hand engine around the 20hp range as I want to be able to lift it !
Old 20 March 2017, 16:51   #75

Good stuff Toonpirate.
A 15 - 20 hp will move the Honwave along nicely. Personally I'd go for the 20hp first off. Wish I had done so rather than making a carb upgrade.
There's the usual quandary - 4 stroke vs 2 stroke.
The newer merc mariner tohatsu 4 strokes 15 / 20hp are all the same engine, and weigh around 51 kg - which is about as much as you want to lift. The new Suzuki 20hp are a bit lighter. Probably get an older 2 stroke 25hp mariner yamaha etc that weighs around 52 kg.
Happy hunting.
Old 20 March 2017, 16:58   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Good stuff Toonpirate.
A 15 - 20 hp will move the Honwave along nicely. Personally I'd go for the 20hp first off. Wish I had done so rather than making a carb upgrade.
There's the usual quandary - 4 stroke vs 2 stroke.
The newer merc mariner tohatsu 4 strokes 15 / 20hp are all the same engine, and weigh around 51 kg - which is about as much as you want to lift. The new Suzuki 20hp are a bit lighter. Probably get an older 2 stroke 25hp mariner yamaha etc that weighs around 52 kg.
Happy hunting.
Many thanks, yes the engine choice is going to be a bit of a dilemma when my budget is restricted ! I'm leaning towards a merc/mariner/tohatsu thats fairly newish. I'm a bit unsure of whether an older engine is false economy.
Old 20 March 2017, 17:32   #77

They're some good 2nd hand engines to be had out there. Unfortunately there's a few bad ones too.
What kinda budget have you got to play with?
Old 20 March 2017, 18:23   #78

It is spotting the good from the bad in an advert that is difficult. I have around £1400 maximum but would prefer to spend less than a £1000.
Old 20 March 2017, 21:14   #79

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you're gonna love it mate.

As for engine, it's a tough one. I had exactly the same dilemma. I only had £1100 to spend, horses v age basically. I went for four stroke and 2013, yeah the extra 7 'stated' horse power on the side of the old high hours 1996 Yam 2 stroke would have been a bonus but the smooth quiet efficient 18 Tohatsu horses and low running hours leave me feeling confident and still with a smile on my face. Getting the T40 up on top of the water two up is effortless. Fuel economy is fantastic, but it's a bit of a lump. I wouldn't want to carry it too far.

Keep us posted on the next leg of your journey and show us some pictures ��
Old 20 March 2017, 21:29   #80

Just my opinion but...

I've owned a large selection of sub 25hp 2-stroke outboards over the past 20yrs. Late 70s Suzukis & Yamaha, mid 80s Mariners, late 90s Mercury, early-mid 2000s Tohatsu, Mariner & Mercury. Sizes including 2/3.5/4/8/9.8/9.9/15/20/25hp. About a dozen outboards in all.

All bar two have been bought privately, half of them with no demo before buying, and they have been between 6 and 25yrs old at time of ownership.

Not one has suffered any issues related to engine condition, just routine service work and the odd carb gasket kit, perished hose, seized tilt lock etc.

It's my opinion that in general smaller leisure use outboards get very little use so suffer minimal wear.

To me the dogs and dodgy history claims are fairly easy to weed out.... just ask loads of questions of the seller and if anything doesn't add up walk away.