Old 13 October 2020, 14:50   #1
A1o

Length: no boat
Advice please!!!

Hi All,

Hoping to tap Into you expertise and I guess get some recommendations...

Completed my RYA Powerboat Level 2 a couple of years back!! (Enjoyable, yet made me anything but an expert) plenty of learning left to do, fear not I know my limitations and wouldn’t put myself or others at risk at sea...

With that disclaimer out there!! I would like to purchase my first sib, I’d like to launch it myself with ease, tricky part I’m 6ft and nearly 20st so of large build... ideally I would of liked something in region of 2.5 meters yet people have smirked when I’ve suggested that stating far to small for someone of my build... eBay searches confuse me more!!!

The purpose of owning the boat would be for coastal fishing, absolute maximum of a mile of shore to start with but probably a lot closer in... I live of the North Essex coast.. so would be Mersea, Clacton, Walton, Frinton way...

What size boat would people recommend and outboard...

I’m often confused by outboards as a lot of smaller boats have small maximum outboard ratings of like 4-6hp yet I’ve read a lot of people use a minimum of 8hp..

I was even looking at 2-3.5hp as a smaller cheaper option will they operate safely at sea... Not looking to speed around anywhere, but spose it needs enough power to get me out of trouble..

Any recommendations, and advice greatly appreciated..

Thanks for taking time to read.

Al
Old 13 October 2020, 15:31   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Al and welcome to the forum.

2.5m, 20st, a mile offshore and perhaps 3.5hp or less is a bit of a scary combo. You would be way more comfortable in something like a lightish 3.2m Honwave air floor pushed along by 6/8hp min.

West Mersea is my go-to launch place on that part of the coast.
Old 13 October 2020, 16:01   #3

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Al

Remember Sib lengths are measure from tip to rear of the tubes (ie overall)

This means that a 2.5 m Sib is very small inside and simply would be too small for anything except a tender even for a small person.

At your size It would be way to small the tube sizes would be small also and I fear you would feel very vulnerable.

I think the absolute smallest you should go is 3.2 m and 9.8 (Say 10) hp for the outboard.

Have a look at the elling 350 and Honwaves above and including the 3.2 m mark.
Old 13 October 2020, 16:03   #4

Have a read of this thread

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/i-m-ne...ice-84874.html
Old 13 October 2020, 18:38   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Al and welcome. I'm 6' 1'' - 16 stone and I would find anything smaller than 3 mtrs too small just for me. Add another person and a bit of gear and I'd feel cramped in a 3 mtr SIB.
Have you seen a 2.5 mtr SIB in the flesh? If you haven't, try to see one as I'm sure you'll change your mind.
Old 13 October 2020, 20:16   #6

Town: CHELMSFORD
Boat name: Honwave
Make: Honwave
Engine: 9.8hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235923173
I was dithering between a T27 and T32 honwave. Following advice on here I got the T32 and am very glad I did. It is only 5kg heavier. Longer boats are supposed to plane easier and more buoyant so you stay drier. In terms of space when you add an external fuel tank, a bag, anchor, peli box etc it soon fills up even with 1 person.
Check out the weights of outboards. If you get a 4 stroke the 8hp is a lot heavier than 6hp but the 10hp is only slightly heaver than the 8hp.
Old 13 October 2020, 20:21   #7

Town: Cardiff
If your near Frinton check out gunfleet boat club excellent facilities and good group of guys. Might be a good place to start from. Im not a sibber but you need to understand there different markets and many of the smaller craft with small motors are design for 50-100 yard trips from sailing boats to shore and back not a mile off shore where wind and tide can mean needing to do 3-4 knotts to stay still. Ideally you want to have a motor big enough to get the boat running at its most efficient which may mean 8hp+ also the design "max imum capacity" is often based on 75kg people and no regard for comfort.....like a lift.....A HOnwave T32 and 10-115hp is as small as i would like to go have a look here

maybe a 2.7 with 8-10hp but not alot of room once fishing
Old 13 October 2020, 20:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
If your near Frinton check out gunfleet boat club excellent facilities and good group of guys. Might be a good place to start from. Im not a sibber but you need to understand there different markets and many of the smaller craft with small motors are design for 50-100 yard trips from sailing boats to shore and back not a mile off shore where wind and tide can mean needing to do 3-4 knotts to stay still. Ideally you want to have a motor big enough to get the boat running at its most efficient which may mean 8hp+ also the design "max imum capacity" is often based on 75kg people and no regard for comfort.....like a lift.....A HOnwave T32 and 10-115hp is as small as i would like to go have a look here

maybe a 2.7 with 8-10hp but not alot of room once fishing
A 115 HP on a T32 would shift !
Old 13 October 2020, 20:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
A 115 HP on a T32 would shift !
It would
Old 14 October 2020, 02:30   #10
A1o

Thank you all for the advice provided!! Not sure if there is a way to like individual posts but the feedback has been quality and not judgemental and dismissive which is appreciated!!

Consensus being 3M at an absolute minimum, with 6-8HP again at an absolute minimum..

Fair to say anything smaller in terms of boat length and outboard size is more design for short distance tender, than fishing??

Could someone clarify what would happen at sea with a smaller outboard, would it just not perform be slow, or would it struggle against currents etc and Effectively not power the boat

Thanks again Al
Old 14 October 2020, 05:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post
Thank you all for the advice provided!! Not sure if there is a way to like individual posts but the feedback has been quality and not judgemental and dismissive which is appreciated!!

Consensus being 3M at an absolute minimum, with 6-8HP again at an absolute minimum..

Fair to say anything smaller in terms of boat length and outboard size is more design for short distance tender, than fishing??

Could someone clarify what would happen at sea with a smaller outboard, would it just not perform be slow, or would it struggle against currents etc and Effectively not power the boat

Thanks again Al
The smaller outboard would not get the boat on the plane and you would be limited to displacement speeds of max 4-5 Knots. If the tide, current and wind or any one of these were all against your direction of travel you could find your self making very slow speed over the ground. It is possible with strong tides that you will actually go backwards.
Old 14 October 2020, 05:14   #12

Also be aware that the T32 Honwave has smaller tube diameter than the T38.

Tube diameter is quite important as the larger it is the more safe the boat is and indeed feels. A small increase in diameter is significant in this regard
Old 14 October 2020, 09:35   #13

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1o View Post

Thanks again Al
Many years ago Coverack had a number of 12' clinker built open boats owned by a local which were hired to visitors.
These had a Seagull outboard - can't remember the size.
Being displacement hulls their speed is limited by hull length. (Simple calculation gives less than 5 knots regardless of engine size) https://www.easycalculation.com/phys...calculator.php
Hirers were told not to go beyond Black Head towards Kennack Sands. There is a nice secluded beach - Lankidden - on the wrong side of this feature.
Occasionally come evening with an outgoing tide one would be missing.
Usually found off Black Head flat out and going nowhere needing to be towed back.
If you can't get on the plane you will have the same problem in tidal flows.
Old 14 October 2020, 09:43   #14

>>>T32 Honwave has smaller tube diameter than the T38. Tube diameter is quite important as the larger it is the more safe the boat is and indeed feels.

That's a fair point SR but we mustn't push the mission creep too far. A T32 with 6hp+ will be way better than a 2.5m/2hp combo!

Al wants an easy to handle outfit solo and a T32 with an OB up to 27kg is about as much as I'd want to move about and launch by myself.
Old 14 October 2020, 11:46   #15
A1o

Again thank you all, I’m genuinely grateful for time taken to read and respond, I’m sure these questions have been asked a million times... I’m much more informed than I was prior to posting.

I think Fenlander has hit the nail on the head I need something that I can carry and launch myself with relative ease..

On my powerboat course I was advised not to touch a second hand outboard from likes of eBay/gumtree with a barge pole.. as they were normally uncared for and were ready for the dump...

What’s the general consensus on this...

At this stage of my life I’m not looking to buy a new set up, ideally I’m looking to spend around the £750-1000 Mark is that realistic for a starter set up? Or massively ambitious...

Are second hand outboards reliable... I know that’s a open question... and near impossible to answer yet any direction or thoughts on this would be appreciated...

I think given all the advice so far I’m now looking for a Sib of around 3.2 with a 6hp so that will be focus from now!

Cheers all

Al
Old 14 October 2020, 13:16   #16

how mechanically inclined are you? an old 2 stroke outboard is an old 2 stroke outboard, aka triggers broom they are simple machines with decent parts back up and plenty of helpful people to assit.

However dont buy one and think "wahey off to the beach" off to the workshop for a complete stripdown is more like it.... trouble is the saving vs a warranted outboard from a dealer is often not a lot once you consider time and parts.

There are some great units out there and some dogs and many are the same unit in different colours Yam/Mariner/merc small outboards are often the same unit but not always so takes some research, also leisure outboards will have suffered more from neglect than use, bad fuel and "carb adjustment" get the blame for a lot of things i would be wary of an engine being sold as "running but needing carbs setting up" as that is rarely the case.

Example here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honwave-T...-/293733018775

New rig hopefully under warranty for a few years, you would save £500-800 buying a 10+year old engine vs brand new £1200 new, £4-600 used running.
Old 14 October 2020, 13:55   #17

>>> I was advised not to touch a second hand outboard from likes of eBay/gumtree with a barge pole.. as they were normally uncared for and were ready for the dump...

Would absolutely disagree... they range from low price obvious wrecks through the average perhaps needing a service to absolute minters.

I have a slightly more positive view than HDAV but of course have been careful to make sure I see loads of photos and ask probing questions of the seller before buying to rule out the obvious lemons.

I've owned ten used 2-stroke outboards 25hp and under over the past decade bought from Gumtree/Ebay/word of mouth etc. All have been in the 10-20yr old range at the time of owning and all at least average condition with several almost as new minters.

I know what HDAV is getting at with the trigger's broom thought but in my experience the only parts usually needed are spark plugs, fuel filters, water pump impellors, anodes, gearbox oil... all routine items. The powerhead, leg, gearbox etc are often still in great condition at 20yrs old.

The only problem I've seen several times... and one HDAV mentions... is either carbs needing a clean and new gasket set... or a carb that's been badly cleaned needing re-doing properly.

I totally agree re... avoid the "just needs a service" so called bargains... as they might be hiding the rare but possible worn engines or obscure ignition faults etc.
Old 14 October 2020, 14:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

I totally agree re... avoid the "just needs a service" so called bargains... as they might be hiding the rare but possible worn engines or obscure ignition faults etc.
Depends how mechanically inclined and how much time you have, they are very simple machines and mostly easily fixed if you have the space and time/knowledge. I would say rebuilding yourself is far better than buying if you can, but i know what the instructors are getting at how many "cheap" boats or motors have been bought only to need assistance with 30 minutes of launching I have seen it many times self, guess it depends what you want your new hobby to be? Fixing old outboards or boating?
Old 14 October 2020, 20:34   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
If you can't get on the plane you will have the same problem in tidal flows.
Still scarred from a pre-teen experience with a Sportyak and 3.5hp Evinrude taking me out to sea at Great Yarmouth.

Last year at Mudeford Quay was actually on the plane going against the flow yet not exceeding the 4 knot speed limit. Means I needed 6+ knots to go nowhere!
Old 15 October 2020, 05:12   #20

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
My 3.1 Zodiac fits easily in the back of my Honda Civic. With a small engine, I can get it all in the boot. With the 9,9 and remote tank, I need part of the split rear seat folded down but there is still room for 1 rear passenger.

Using a foot pump, I can get the boat on the water, working solo, quickly and easily.

I would not go with a smaller hull unless I had a specific need to go smaller.

A bigger hull rides more comfortably, has more space for gear, and doesn't take up much extra space compared to 1 size smaller.

As for engine size, if I had my choice again, I would choose the biggest engine that has an integral fuel tank. Not sure if that's a 6 or 8. At the moment I have a 9.9 with remote tank, and a 3hp 2 stroke with internal tank. Certainly the 9.9 is faster, but the 3hp is way lighter and less bulky.

For me, Sibbing is all about ease and convenience. A small cramped space in the hull, or an engine that is unwieldy and heavy to carry, transport or store, works against that,

However, there are others who do serious coastal passages in 270s, and most people seem to prefer as much power as the boat will take.