Old 03 June 2015, 13:10   #1

Town: Altrincham
Length: no boat
Advice on a boat

Afternoon!
I am a newbie to RIBs/SIBs and have spent a bit of time looking over different posts/topics on this site. All very useful. I am now on the point of taking the plunge but want to make sure I am looking for the right set up for my needs. Here goes.
Boat will be based in Rhosneigr and used for bay hopping, towing donut, teaching my 2 girls to water ski and wakeboard and as a rescue boat while they are learning the ropes of sailing. They are 11 and 14 and pretty light weight. I'm c. 75kg. Not expecting a mastercraft tow just something up to the job that will be fun, without hassle and easy to get in and out.
I started off thinking about a RIB but now thinking of something a little simpler. Had a look at a SIB - Seapro 4.2HD with a 40hp Tohatsu 2 stroke with a couple of bench seats. Boat will stay on the trailer for spring/summer/early autumn.
Is this a good set up? Are Seapros any good? Will a smaller engine do the job? Realistically, will I be launching off the trailer or using launch wheels? Anyone got anything for sale. If this is the right set up, will post a thread in "wanted" section.
Thanks. Jim
Old 03 June 2015, 13:15   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Jim,

Welcome, TBH a SIB is not really up to that - they are OK for pulling the odd toy and maybe skiing with very small kids but for teens etc or wakeboarding it is not going to have the grunt or enough bite on the water and for UK seas you would really be looking at a small RIB with a proper 'V' hull as a better idea.

Plus once you get much above a 3.5m/3.8m with 15 to 25 engine you're dealing with a hefty old rig that really requires a trailer and then you're much better off going for a far more capable small RIB - say a SR4 or similar.
Old 03 June 2015, 13:21   #3

Town: Altrincham
Length: no boat
Thanks Max. There is a 4.2 seapro RIB with a 40hp for sale on Anglesey (Dulas). Is 40hp enough given the extra weight of a RIB over SIB? Excuse ignorance what make is a SR4?
Old 03 June 2015, 13:36   #4

Boat name: Son of a Beach
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
SR4 = Avon Searider 4m Hth.
Old 03 June 2015, 13:42   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimClarkson View Post
Thanks Max. There is a 4.2 seapro RIB with a 40hp for sale on Anglesey (Dulas). Is 40hp enough given the extra weight of a RIB over SIB? Excuse ignorance what make is a SR4?
As Tim says the Searider 4m - the defacto go to small RIB of choice on here.

I would have thought a 40 should be fine for lightweight young skiiers on two skis but obviously not for deep water starts on a mono, mind you I'm out of touch I have not skiied for more than 10 years and that was on the old man's hard boat with a 150. Even that did not exactly pop you up on one like a Mastercraft...

You'd be best asking the mods to shift this topic to the RIB section as many on there better to advise.
Old 03 June 2015, 13:50   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I used to ski behind my pal's bombard aerotec 380 with a 25 yam not the best ski in the world but I'm 6'4 & 13 stone it would do what you want & easy to launch & recover & store
Old 04 June 2015, 05:33   #7

Are they likely to get into sailing big time? I.e. doing traveller events? You may well want to take RIB with you. You'd want to think how you do that with their dinghy.

SR4 would be a good choice for sailing safety. It floods its hull under the deck when you stop making it very stable. When you drive off the hull drains.

For safety boat work 40 on an SR4 is fine. No ski experience.