Old 18 May 2011, 08:10   #1

Town: Perth
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100 Yamaha 4-stroke
Advice needed

Hi, I have a Zodiac Pro 550 which is due for a "make-over". I think it is a 2000 model but not sure and the ID plate does not show year of manufacture. Any idea howe I can check this out to make sure?

I'm not 100% sure if the tubes are hypalon or PVC and hoping that this can be checked by the serial number ? Apart from a clean up, I'd like to remove "fittings" that have been glued onto the boat (see pic) which I think was to attach an awning (bimini cover) of sort. There's two on each side of the boat. The threaded inserts have rusted and they need to be replaced or simply removed. They will need to be unglued and that's where I'm looking for some advice. How?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 (Small).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	59446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	59447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	59450  
Old 18 May 2011, 11:59   #2

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
There are 3 or 4 types of thread insert that can be retro fitted from above.

Helicoil

Riv Nut

etc....
Old 18 May 2011, 12:16   #3

Thanks, I've also thought about drilling out the old threads and replacing with helicoil or even a stainless nut but I'm a little nervouse drilling just in case I go too far
Old 18 May 2011, 12:34   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Jack - try a some searches on here, I think back in the "early days" there was a thread about how to tell the difference between pvc and hypalon. As for getting those fittings off, I think the answer will involve very careful use of a heat gun - but you may find a colour difference under the fitting, you might be able to cover that with some "wear patches".
Old 18 May 2011, 13:04   #5

Thanks Polwart. I've been searching some older threads and there's lots of useful info and tips...thanks! If I remove those "round fittings" I'd like to replace with the same so hiding discoloured spots won't be an issue. I plan on mounting a bimini cover or awning of sort.
Old 18 May 2011, 14:25   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Thanks Polwart. I've been searching some older threads and there's lots of useful info and tips...thanks! If I remove those "round fittings" I'd like to replace with the same so hiding discoloured spots won't be an issue. I plan on mounting a bimini cover or awning of sort.
I'd almost certainly say it was PVC, as the majority of leisure Zodiacs in the Pro range are Strongan Duotex. The new Zodiac Pro range are available in PVC and hypalon (which is slightly more expensive).

There would have been a serial number (XDC) on the boat transom, however it's maybe been removed. Is there anything under the fold-forward console?

Regards the bimini attach points. If you were to remove, you could always add wear-patches, which ensure the area is completely covered.
Old 19 May 2011, 05:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'd almost certainly say it was PVC, as the majority of leisure Zodiacs in the Pro range are Strongan Duotex. The new Zodiac Pro range are available in PVC and hypalon (which is slightly more expensive).

There would have been a serial number (XDC) on the boat transom, however it's maybe been removed. Is there anything under the fold-forward console?

Regards the bimini attach points. If you were to remove, you could always add wear-patches, which ensure the area is completely covered.
Thanks spartacus. The serial number plate and details is still intact. I have just placed a call with the Zodiac Australia to see if they are able to give me details on my boat.....I now await there return call. I have read that one can place a small amount of acetone on an inconspicous area of the boat and if it gets tacky then its probably PVC,if not then its hypalon. Does that sound right?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

Spartacus, Thanks I emailed Zodiac with my XDC number and they replied within a day. It is indeed a PVC tube.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:56   #9

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I think the last 2 numbers are the year.
Old 26 May 2011, 01:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
I think the last 2 numbers are the year.
the last 3 digits of my XDCR number is "405" yet Zodiac tells me that it's a 2004 model. I'll ask them if there's anyway of reading the year of manufacture from the XDC number.