Old 09 March 2014, 08:38   #1

Length: 4m +
About to buy.. Dilemma 3.8m or 4.2m Zodiac

Hi all I posted something like this in the new member section but figured it would get read here more.

Hi name is Guy! I'm about to purchase a Zodiac Classic Alu MK2 (4.2m) or a Classic MK2C Alu (3.80m) .... Still undecided. In Germany I don't need a boating licence up to 15HP.. and can go free on most rivers etc no permits here. The Classic MK 2 costs 500€ more for 40cm of boat. Would this 40cm have much effect on the speed of the boat with a 15hp Suzuki outboard (new lean burn version). I read on the rental site Boats2go that as soon as a Parsun 15hp goes on to a 4.30m boat the speed drops by 5mph. Their Seapros are rather heavy though at 115kg. The extra 40cm is ideal for tank etc... I don't think I'll be going flat out all the time but I would like to pull rings etc when my child gets older ... 3 1/2 at present. So I'm after a stable boat... Without compromising too much on the fun factor. To go anything above a 15hp I would need to take a course and pass a test. I will be travelling to Cornwall, St Ives in August and would love someone to give me some tips advice of where to launch etc.

Any advice would be great! Off with wife to have a look this time. Quality of Zodiacs is amazing....
Old 09 March 2014, 08:42   #2

Length: 3m +
Whats required to have a licence... are you shooting yourself in the foot trying to avoid licencing?
Old 09 March 2014, 09:21   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I would try and by second hand and get out and have some funn, get a better idea of what you want/need doing this you should be able to sell on that you bought to get started for the same money!
To get the right boat first time is a very big ask and buying new you will loose money
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2014, 10:29   #4

I'm not trying to avoid a licence. Just the HP allowed without a licence went up from 6hp to 15hp... I can't see me buying a 40hp motor. From what I've read 15hp is more than adequate. My father had an Avon dinghy in the 70's we had great fun and that has only 3.5 or 5hp I think. I'm ex military so fairly sensible at the age if 49.9... I thought about it all a few years ago but decided I would be challenged to move along some of the rivers here. I may take a course just for fun anyway. I'm going to buy new as I have the gained the cash through a bit of stock market action ��... Plus new I KNOW how it has been treated... I live within about 35mins from the River Weser... Goes all the way to Bremen on the coast. I will be using boat in the sea as well so I want to buy something that has space in it too. My wife likes to travel in "comfort". So it's going to be new and either Mk2C or Mk2 Classic. Thanks for your replies.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:33   #5

I'm off to the shop on Tuesday so I will listen to the "experts" they have had shop since the 70's.. They also sell Ribeyes!
Old 10 March 2014, 16:56   #6

Shop tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacManiac View Post
I'm off to the shop on Tuesday so I will listen to the "experts" they have had shop since the 70's.. They also sell Ribeyes!
Just realised that my post may have come across a bit rude. Ask some more experts would have been better. Sorry if it DID sound a bit be-little ing.
Old 10 March 2014, 17:45   #7

Town: Big Bay, Awhitu
Make: Zodiac 3.8M. Mk2
Engine: 25N Yamaha
Longer boat petter in chops
Get the 4.2 and put a 30 horse on when you sort your licence..
Old 10 March 2014, 23:52   #8

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
A 380 sib with 15 HP engine is a perfect starter combo. 420 is huge and wont perform as well as a 380 with a 15 HP. Do you intend to inflate/deflate each time you want to use your combo, or will be kept inflated at all times ? A 380 requires less effort manhandling and launching if you don't have launching wheeels.

Happy Boating
Old 11 March 2014, 00:18   #9

Hhhhm 4.2m is only 40cm bigger than 3.8m. 10kg more. Yes we will be deflating/inflating.. Basically driving to sea or river for day and launching. Sometimes we will seek a specific campsite with a slip, where we may be able to leave it up for the time we are there. Yes I will be buying launching wheels and an electric pump. Does that extra 40cm make so much of a difference in handling?? You look very experienced from the amount of posts and years you've been on this forum. Looking forward to my visit to shop today! It's a hell of a lot of money to shell out but I'm sure we will have a lot of fun once we get to grips with it all. Thanks for your posts.
Old 11 March 2014, 04:20   #10

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
With a 15HP motor, I would be looking at the smaller boat with an air deck, for weight, and ease of storage. The Beachmaster launching wheels works awesome and it would be a nice setup.

As soon as going to a 4.2m boat anything less than a 30HP would not be much fun, and I much prefer my 40HP.
Old 11 March 2014, 07:05   #11

Well I think we will buy the Classic Mk2C 3.8m with the Aluminium flooring. The air floor comes with Futura models... I think the aluminium would be much better for sea trips too. Plus manoeuvring will be easier... Can't wait for my son to grow a few muscles! We are taking my son with us to check his reactions... Hopefully he will get excited. Thanks again for taking the time to reply... It's very much appreciated and has helped me make my decision.
Old 11 March 2014, 09:24   #12

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodiacManiac View Post
Well I think we will buy the Classic Mk2C 3.8m with the Aluminium flooring. The air floor comes with Futura models... I think the aluminium would be much better for sea trips too. Plus manoeuvring will be easier... Can't wait for my son to grow a few muscles! We are taking my son with us to check his reactions... Hopefully he will get excited. Thanks again for taking the time to reply... It's very much appreciated and has helped me make my decision.
I had the exact same sib, great set up with a 25hp 2 stroke.
Old 11 March 2014, 17:00   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Zodiac Maniac,

A 420 is not only 40 cm longer, it's about 30-35 cm wider, has wider diam tubes, bulkier when inflated or deflated at storage and heavier to move around.

If you won't use a 420 with full mate capacity and full recommended max engine, don't go for it. Have been through this 420 upgrade sib process myself and switched back again to a 380 with same Tohatsu 18 HP next day. A 380 will suit you well.

Happy Boating
Old 11 March 2014, 18:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Zodiac Maniac,

A 420 is not only 40 cm longer, it's about 30-35 cm wider, has wider diam tubes, bulkier when inflated or deflated at storage and heavier to move around.

If you won't use a 420 with full mate capacity and full recommended max engine, don't go for it. Have been through this 420 upgrade sib process myself and switched back again to a 380 with same Tohatsu 18 HP next day. A 380 will suit you well.

Happy Boating
Thanks for the advice. The Classic 4.2 and 3.8 are actually the same width in tubes and overall width according to specs... It's JUST longer. Anyway I bought the 3.8m Alu today and got good advice from the owner of the shop. He didn't try to rip me off and actually said "don't really need that take this..." He also said 3.8 was good for 15hp. He also recommended a cheaper life vest for wife and a non-automatic vest for our son 3 1/2. Also said electric start wasn't necessary as the Suzukis start really easy plus I won't have to look after a battery. He will also register boat for me and when it arrives we will both build it together where he can give me tips that aren't written down anywhere. So in the end I saved about 1200€ on Simpler engine.. Cheaper life jackets etc. still ended up forking out around 6700€ for full outfit. Locks.. Boat hook .. Anchor and the likes. Went into shop thinking it was going to be 8100€. Should have it available for collection before Easter. Thanks again all posters who contributed to my decision.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:39   #15

About to buy.. Dilemma 3.8m or 4.2m Zodiac

Well nearly three years on and I made the right decision with your help.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	118480
Old 14 March 2017, 15:56   #16

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Good to hear the feedback and see you enjoying it! Has the Suzuki been reliable for you... I'm now a year into ownership of the 20hp version and it's been good so far.
Old 14 March 2017, 16:07   #17

Yes very reliable ... very happy with it... only 91 hours on the clock but starts every time. €140 to get it serviced every year... but it gives me an air of confidence. I've used on Sea and Rivers...