Old 30 March 2014, 15:12   #1

Town: Kent
Make: Yamaha 280 sti
Length: under 3m
A few questions about my new SIB

Picked it up yesterday, brought it home, gave it a good clean (That was such hard work! Not cleaned in years) and went out on the canal, good day! Couple of questions though... Whats that back square bit of plastic flapping around on the boat for used for? (Pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140329_131010_resized.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	92828

Would it be safe to fish in my boat even with a inflatable bottom? Also easiest way to attach a Rod holder to the boat and where? (for some reason ours didn't come with a seat)

Also when we were pumping up the boat as soon as we removed the pump it instantly started to deflate, so we had to be really quick and screw the caps back on... Is this meant to happen? As there were two valves that didn't let any air out once it was pumped up? There were some spring like things in the valve but we didn't really know what they were for ?

What paint to use? i presume i can't use normal paint in the sea!!

Best way to transport boat? I think we underestimated the weight of these boats haha, we literally carried it for 5 mins to the canal and were shattered >_>, seems like a bit of a pain to keep inflating and defalting, wont fit on my car but could tie it to the roof?

Sorry for all the noobish questions, first boat ever owned haha.

Bonus picsClick image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	92829Click image for larger version

Name:	20140329_150403.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	92830
Old 30 March 2014, 16:16   #2
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
She looks in good condition

Ok to fish from inflatables with sensible precautions, fabrics are pretty tough but flat tipped knife is recommended

You can affix rod holders to your tubes, e.g. Oar holder patches for inflatables

I suspect that your valves are in the locked open position, just need to depress the diaphragm and twist to put into the closed position.

Paint? I presume you aren't referring to flexi antifoul, so what do you intend to paint?

Plenty of dinghy wheels available that can be affixed to transom to make it easier to move her when inflated. For faster inflation then best to buy a 2 speed inflator (manual or electric available) with high speed/lower pressure setting for tube and lower speed but higher pressure for the air deck.

Check out our e-library for care & repair advice

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutorious View Post
Picked it up yesterday, brought it home, gave it a good clean (That was such hard work! Not cleaned in years) and went out on the canal, good day! Couple of questions though... Whats that back square bit of plastic flapping around on the boat for used for? (Pic)

Attachment 92828

Would it be safe to fish in my boat even with a inflatable bottom? Also easiest way to attach a Rod holder to the boat and where? (for some reason ours didn't come with a seat)

Also when we were pumping up the boat as soon as we removed the pump it instantly started to deflate, so we had to be really quick and screw the caps back on... Is this meant to happen? As there were two valves that didn't let any air out once it was pumped up? There were some spring like things in the valve but we didn't really know what they were for ?

What paint to use? i presume i can't use normal paint in the sea!!

Best way to transport boat? I think we underestimated the weight of these boats haha, we literally carried it for 5 mins to the canal and were shattered >_>, seems like a bit of a pain to keep inflating and defalting, wont fit on my car but could tie it to the roof?

Sorry for all the noobish questions, first boat ever owned haha.

Bonus picsAttachment 92829Attachment 92830
Old 30 March 2014, 19:50   #3

Town: Kent
Make: Yamaha 280 sti
Length: under 3m
Thanks for that.

Will invest in a couple of them rod attachments

Regarding the electric pump with the air pressure could u link me to one of those please . My boat says 0.2bar I presume that is everywhere?

Also, I know that my 2.8 isn't the biggest and it won't exactly be roomy with me and my mate fishing in it, but in everyone's experience has it all gone ok? Any pointers?