Old 01 November 2017, 11:54   #1

Town: Kent
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: 5hp 2 stroke
5hp enough?

Honwave T32, calm sea, 2 up, will my 5hp 2 stroke be sufficient?

I'm not looking to race around, just cruise the coast line in view of land (all safety equipment on board).

What do you think?
Old 01 November 2017, 12:35   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You probably know you will be limited to displacement speed (up to about 6kts) but a 5hp will push you to the maximum displacement speed for that SIB. As long as you plan the weather, sea state and tides to account for this and you have some experience to make a judgement then you should be OK.

Personally I'm not keen on being at sea in a SIB without the ability to plane and for that you would need 10hp min, 15hp better.
Old 01 November 2017, 14:31   #3

Town: Godalming
Boat name: Bumblebee
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: yamaha 40hp 2stroke
I've managed to get a yam 300s (with a hole in it) on the plane with a 4hp engine with my brother and i in it (total payload of about 110kg). But if you have the option i'd go for a bit more power, maybe 8hp upwards for a much more sensible ride further out, though in the summer my 10y/o brother took that yam on daily 6nmi trips in pretty nasty conditions, but he did have better boats keeping an eye on him if something went wrong
Old 01 November 2017, 16:56   #4

Town: Near Exeter Devon
Boat name: Paparna
Engine: Mercury 9.9 4stroke
I just got a T32 last week, had a 6hp 4 stroke, after 3 outings I just got a 9.9hp, the 6 was ok but not enough for me! here is a video showing the 6hp which will be almost the same as a 5 hope it helps

Old 01 November 2017, 17:17   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Basically, yes. I had a bigger SIB with a smaller engine and had a lot of fun on it including many diving trips wth heavy kit. If you're happy not planing, and don't try to fight fast tides, you'll be more than fine.
Old 02 November 2017, 08:44   #6

Town: Kent
Engine: 5hp 2 stroke
Looks like I'll be ok then, thanks for the help. I currently only potter around slowly on rivers but would like to know that if I felt like it, the little engine could push me along the Kent coast. I'm not interested in speed or planing and would only plop out at Herne Bay on a calm day, close to shore.
Old 03 November 2017, 06:06   #7

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Planing is fun, and it is nice to be able to get to the "pottering zone" quickly for more time pottering, or to be able to get back to the slipway/beach quickly when you're cold or tired or the weather is deteriorating. However, you can always plan your trip according to the engine you have available.

Also, if the sea gets choppy, planing in a small SIB can be very tiring as they don't carve through the water like a deep V RIB, but slam and splash - exhilarating but hard work.

Thinking back over my ownership of various SIBs and outboards over 25 or more years, the percentage of the time I've spent planing has been tiny. I go at immersed speeds (low revs, chugging and pottering) most of the time on rivers,anywhere there are swimmers or other small boats, whenever I'm exploring between rocks close inshore, or looking at the scenery or birdlife, or when the sea is rough... When I've used a smaller engine, I've always appreciated the easy of carrying, launching, and recovery, and the extra space in the boat.

You'll have fun. It isn't all about wazzing about at high speed.
Old 10 November 2017, 20:46   #8

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
Honwave T32, calm sea, 2 up, will my 5hp 2 stroke be sufficient?

I'm not looking to race around, just cruise the coast line in view of land (all safety equipment on board).

What do you think?

I would suggest getting the 5hp as a starter and if you want to plane and take people out i would suggest to get a second engine and I would say get a 15hp. The 5hp will always be a back up to use if your main engine lets you down and there is nothing more disappointing that setting your boat up for the day and your engine letting you down, I've had many a day where a little 3.3hp or 5hp has saved the day rather than packing up and going home when my main engine had a turn lol. The 5hp will be ok to poodle about (get a two stroke 5hp) and no doubt get you hooked lol, but take some advise from my costly past! If you do want a bigger engine go straight to a 15hp don't bother with an 8 or 10 as you WILL end up going to the 15 anyway

5hp 15hp 25hp

As for Kent coast I speak from experience and with more than one person and kit etc you will get out with the tide or current behind you ok but against the tide or current you could find your self only making 1-2 knots back and that could mean hours, with a small outboard. On any ocean voyages even coastal always carry 2 x 5 litre cans if its an internal outboard tank I once took 4 plus hours to get back 1 mile along the Kent coast!
Old 10 November 2017, 20:55   #9

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHook View Post
I just got a T32 last week, had a 6hp 4 stroke, after 3 outings I just got a 9.9hp, the 6 was ok but not enough for me! here is a video showing the 6hp which will be almost the same as a 5 hope it helps

Get a 15hp on there
Old 13 November 2017, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
Get a 15hp on there
I got this on it now and more than happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171102_105311.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	122727  
Old 13 November 2017, 10:05   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
That's a nice balanced outfit JTH assuming from the setup you are usually solo or solo +1 for fishing trips.

The need for any given level of power is so much down to the weight carried in people and kit. The fact that we are usually two "not that lightweight" adults plus teen plus dog plus loads of fuel plus loads of kit means we need at least 5hp more for the same performance than a more minimal load. In fact our on the plane brisk cruising speed is only about the same as Gurnard with his Frib and 6hp one up plus kit for a day out.

***Planing is fun, and it is nice to be able to get to the "pottering zone" quickly for more time pottering, or to be able to get back to the slipway/beach quickly... I go at immersed speeds (low revs, chugging and pottering)... anywhere there are swimmers or other small boats, whenever I'm exploring between rocks close inshore, or looking at the scenery or birdlife... You'll have fun. It isn't all about wazzing about at high speed***

I've picked out Mike's coments that mirror mine so there is a lot of agreement in there with our use. We do not spend our time on the plane going round in circles or whizzing just outside the bathing zone but just use speed as a way of extending range regarding where we can visit.

For example in Scotland we've had some brilliant holidays on sea lochs where it might be 10Nm from launch point to open sea. At displacement speeds just to get to open sea and back is a 4hr round trip leaving little time to explore further. Whereas our 2018 hols launch point has interesting beaches/eateries etc just 2 or 3Nm away so displacement speeds would be no problem.

So it's all about horses and courses.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:53   #12

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHook View Post
I got this on it now and more than happy
Can I ask where that slip is it looks a lovely slipway

Dennis
Old 21 November 2017, 08:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Can I ask where that slip is it looks a lovely slipway

Dennis
Hi Dennis

Its a public slipway in Plymouth at the Mountbatten center, and yes its a great slipway with ample room shame its a 60 mile drive for me, but worth it!!

Jim.