Old 15 November 2009, 19:03   #1

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
303 Aerospace Protectant

Would like to know if you need to soap clean/rinse sibs used on sea waters before applying this aerospace brand UV protector, back instructions does not mentions anything related.

Just in case soaped washed, rinsed & dried my sib, sprayed protectant small amounts in small areas extending well the whitish liquid over fabric using a thick paint brush, bottle will last longer and will cover far more fabric with less unwanted spills.

The sib fabric color looks shinny new, will test this coming summer and see the real benefit of having a SPF 40" coating all the time. If solar products works fantastic on people, why not on sibs.

Happy Boating
Old 15 November 2009, 22:05   #2

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
I usually wash my inflatables before applying the 303, otherwise the dirt is still in contact with the fabric, which defeats the purpose of applying a protectant.

One caution with 303, it works great, but will make the surface very slippery. I use it on a whitewater raft I have, but I make sure to wipe down the inflatable floor to remove any excess 303. Even at that, it can be an adventure trying to move around in the boat.

One more thing, never ever use Armorall, the silicones in it will destroy the boat over time, and prevent any patches from adhering.
Old 16 November 2009, 17:02   #3

Hola Entropy,

One more issue about 303 protectant, when you have applied for first time and used the sib again on salt water, when washing with fresh water after use, you need just to rinse with a hose to take salt out, or with a towel dampened in fresh water and passed over fabric ? Asking this because will assume that passing a towel over fabric often will remove protector faster than just rinsing with a hose. What are your thoughts, ideas about it ?

The sib was correctly soaped washed, after application of product, was let stand for 15 minutes to penetrate well on fabric, no spills or excessive product on tubes with brush method, sib towel dried, now with slight slippery surface, will check this issue when on water, know must never use silicone products on sibs/ribs, very harmful, extremely slippery and difficult to wash out applied silicone.

Happy Boating
Old 16 November 2009, 20:04   #4

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Engine: Johnson 25
I cant provide much info as I have only limited experience with the product (haven’t even used my SIB yet) but from past experience with similar protectants, I have found that they tend to wash off far more readily that one would expect, and that frequent re-application is usually in order to maintain effectiveness….

On an unrelated topic… I plan to be in your area October of 2010 and will probably stay in Myraflores District near the Lacomar Mall again. Time permitting, I would like to have a meet and greet and buy you a beer or two, if you are interested! Will keep you posted as my plans come together.
Old 16 November 2009, 21:00   #5

Town: Connecticut
Make: Avon FRB380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6hp
Locozodiac,

My experience has only been on fresh water. But I usually hose the boat down after every use to get the sand and other debris off of it. The 303 persists reasonably well on the hypalon. I usually apply 2 times during the summer and once at the end of the season before putting the boat away for the winter. The summer applications are done sparingly, the winter application is more liberal.
Old 16 November 2009, 21:44   #6

Quote:
On an unrelated topic… I plan to be in your area October of 2010 and will probably stay in Myraflores District near the Lacomar Mall again. Time permitting, I would like to have a meet and greet and buy you a beer or two, if you are interested! Will keep you posted as my plans come together.
Thanks for your nice invitation, kindly accepted, we'll go for those cold beers and nice pisco sours drinks too, along sib/engines talk experiences. If with some free time, could go sibbing to Palomino nearby islets to have a bath with 2000 sea lions if that's not a scary issue for you, check the scenario. You are welcome to Lima.

Happy Sibbing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	47514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	47515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palomino-3.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	47516  
Old 16 November 2009, 21:57   #7

Town: Anchorage
Make: Zodiac MKIII GR
Engine: Johnson 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Thanks for your nice invitation, kindly accepted, we'll go for those cold beers and nice pisco sours drinks too, along sib/engines talk experiences. If with some free time, could go sibbing to Palomino nearby islets to have a bath with 2000 sea lions if that's not a scary issue for you, check the scenario. You are welcome to Lima.

Happy Sibbing
The chatting and SIBing part sounds great! But I will leave the swimming with sea lion’s to you and your brave girl! ;-)