Old 17 August 2021, 07:21   #1

Town: Lancaster
Length: under 3m
3.3hp speed/trim

I've got a 3m air vee floor and put on a 3.3 hp 2 stroke.
I'm not after high speed but..... when I open the throttle to about a third revs the bow lifts slightly and get about 5mph.
At WOT the bow lifts up a lot more, I gain less than 1mph extra but the outboard is noisy as if it's not being run in the water even though the tell tale is running well.
Is it just because 3.3 is too small or a trim issue.
The engine leg is set parallel to the transom.
There is no damage at all to the prop either.
Someone suggested a metal prop instead of the factory fitted plastic one. Is one available for these small outboards? Would it make a difference?
Old 17 August 2021, 07:28   #2

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard 6hp
3.3hp likely won't be able to get a 3m boat on plane so you're just burning more fuel for no increase in speed.
Stick to 1/3 throttle or get a bigger motor.
Old 17 August 2021, 07:35   #3

I have a 4 on an old Avon Redcrest. All that happens with that as you open the throttle beyond a certain point, when you have a couple of people onboard or not using the boards is that the engine gets noisier and noisier, the bow gets higher as it is pushed more onto the bow wave, the wash gets larger and you go no quicker at all.

To get it on the plane when on my own, one has to take a leap of faith with a well tightened outboard and let go of it so as to move all one's weight forward and it hops straight onto the plane allowing you to move back within arms reach of the tiller. If you don't move to the front then it'll just sit higher and higher on the bow wave as the engine and my own weight pushes the bow higher.

A plastic prop may be deforming, 3.3 may just be enough to plane (triple blade prop or double?) but have you moved your weight forward yet once the boat is being pushed onto its bow wave?
Old 17 August 2021, 07:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
I have a 4 on an old Avon Redcrest. All that happens with that as you open the throttle beyond a certain point, when you have a couple of people onboard or not using the boards is that the engine gets noisier and noisier, the bow gets higher as it is pushed more onto the bow wave, the wash gets larger and you go no quicker at all.

To get it on the plane when on my own, one has to take a leap of faith with a well tightened outboard and let go of it so as to move all one's weight forward and it hops straight onto the plane allowing you to move back within arms reach of the tiller. If you don't move to the front then it'll just sit higher and higher on the bow wave as the engine and my own weight pushes the bow higher.

A plastic prop may be deforming, 3.3 may just be enough to plane (triple blade prop or double?) but have you moved your weight forward yet once the boat is being pushed onto its bow wave?
Yeah moving myself forward creates a cleaner wash.
Old 17 August 2021, 15:36   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Yep engine not big enough to push the boat over the bow wave caused by the displacement of the boat
Old 25 August 2021, 08:42   #6

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:

Not a good idea.
Get yourself a tiller extension.
I've got one of the clamp on extending variety.
Old 25 August 2021, 17:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Not a good idea.
Get yourself a tiller extension.
I've got one of the clamp on extending variety.
You're not wrong. It's not a good idea. When younger the top half of the aluminium oar would fit tightly over the tiller.
Old 25 August 2021, 18:38   #8

Quote:
You're not wrong. It's not a good idea. When younger the top half of the aluminium oar would fit tightly over the tiller.
Yeah I have a retractable paddle (as well as the oars), I can take the blade off the paddle and fits snugs as on the tiller
Old 25 August 2021, 20:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy c View Post
Yeah I have a retractable paddle (as well as the oars), I can take the blade off the paddle and fits snugs as on the tiller
Yup. Better to use a proper extension of this is how you'll be using the boat.

When I was a child we didn't have the boards for the dinghy as it was just stowed away as a tender for when away from the mooring and I would wedge the oars under the inflatable seat against the stern and it gave enough rigidity to get on the plane but it meant going forward momentarily to hop on the plane.