Old 19 July 2022, 01:30   #1

Town: Elleker
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
2014 FC470 with 15” Transom

G’day All

I’ve recently purchased a FC470 with a 15” transom. I’m currently looking for a motor and have read on the forum of some owners experiencing splash back from the outboard.

Purchasing a new motor is obviously a fairly expensive exercise so I’m keen to try avoid any major issues.

I’d appreciate it if anyone with experience with the issue or has the same boat could offer some advice on whether the splash back is due to engine size or type. I’m looking to buy a 40hp Yamaha short shaft or Tohatsu 50hp as these are the only 15” 40/50hp options in Australia. I’ve also heard adapter plates can be fabricated to convert the transom to a 20”. I’d be keen to hear any feedback on the option too

Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Photos-export-07-07-2022-152754.pdf (517.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 13 October 2022, 20:13   #2

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: FC470
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 55hp
Hey mate, have a look on Boatsales, there is a guy selling his milpro and he has lifted it in the images. Not the nearest job but take a look. I think I’m gonna end up in the same position as you and work out if a jacking plate will work if a transom build up. Let me know how u go
Old 14 October 2022, 02:32   #3

Have a look at the below CMK plate, also see words below from another thread where this seems to have had the same issue we are running into, seems the plate was a fix.

I have emailed CMK for costings.

I purchased a 55hp SeaPro from the auctions so I want to make it work.

Can u measure the bottom of the V to the top of the transoms highest point (run a straight edge over the steps downs so you can measure from the centre), does it hit 20” or close ?

Have a look at these words from another thread;

“Previously I have run AML35 short shaft motor on the older notched transom "short shaft" F470s as well as various long-shaft outboards on the same "short shaft" F470s in combination with the CMK Transom Cap which essentially turns the "short shaft" transom to a "long shaft" one and never had these problems”.

http://www.pumpjet.com/uploads/4/4/1/1/44113113/cmk.pdf
Old 14 October 2022, 11:34   #4

Gday mate. Coincidentally I just picked up my boat after getting a Tohatsu 50 short fitted.
I thought long and hard about a 20” adapter plate and decided to keep it stock and go short shaft. The measurement from top to bottom in the centre of the transom on my boat is 15.5 inches. It’s a 2014 build. It appears the transoms differ between countries/years.
My main concern was sealing the top edge of the transom with the plate adapter. The bolt holes obviously would also need to be sealed as it’s a timer transom.
The fitting of the Tohatsu wasn’t straight forward as the motor mounting plate blocks the bottom scupper so after some head scratching we went for a 50mm poly spacer. Time will tell on how it works out but the outboard dealer tested the boat yesterday, adjusted the motor height, changed prop and gave it a good run. Big plus is there no water coming forward off the leg and into the boat which some report as a issue. It looks like the transoms/scuppers are set for 2 stroke donks.
Considering you’ve got a motor and it’s in good nick I def think it’s worth pursuing the 20” leg option.
Old 14 October 2022, 11:56   #5

I head off to NSW on Monday to collect the motor and boat isn’t strange that we (Aust Army) used a long with a short. I got the 55 sea pro cheap from Pickles as well, it’s brand new.

Worst case I’ll sell it to fund a short shaft, see what CMK say. I’d assume we all have the same transoms, let’s see what’s in the box.

Really curious to see how yours goes !, I’d rather no water splashing over to be honest.

Getting hard to find a nice short shaft these days ! 70CES would be sweet !

Did u get a trailer ? Next on my list.
Old 14 October 2022, 12:09   #6

Nice one! Bring on Monday hey it’ll be interesting to see what you’ve got. The motor sounds like a major score [emoji1303]

I’ll take some video when I give her a run. It cracked 30kts on the test which is plenty. I really just want the extra grunt if needed. I’m on the SW coast of WA so there’s lots of big waves and bombies.

Yeah everything is in short supply. I got the last Tohatsu in Oz for a few months. Trailer was the same. Got lucky and found a 2022 trailer and did some mods to get the pontoon platforms sorted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	141692
Old 14 October 2022, 12:11   #7

Mines got a 118kg 65hp limit on the transom so all of the 60hp I looked at were over that weight. Another reason I went short Tohatsu at 95kgs
Old 14 October 2022, 12:58   #8

Awesome love it, yeah I am originally from Bassendean (Perth) so I know what your in for. CMK just wrote back saying that the reason they made the capping piece was because of the issue we are having and the USMC needed a higher transom.

If I were to draw an imaginary line across the top of the transom, like there was no set down, how night would it be 18-20” ?
Old 14 October 2022, 13:07   #9

Argh Righto sandgroper too [emoji1303]

It measures 18.3 inches flush from the top to the bottom of the V
Old 15 October 2022, 05:03   #10

Grab us a picture of how the motor looks on the boat if u can love the see a few images of the back end.

Man you can get some grunt out of those Tohatsu’s.

I’m still going to keep an eye out.

So if your running a short shaft I assume that’ll fix the spill over issue ?
Old 15 October 2022, 13:29   #11

Yeah no worries I’ve got a nasty lurgy at the moment driving me nuts not being able to take the boat on her maiden voyage but I’ll get to it as soon as I’m better.

Regarding the splash back I can only go on what the engine dealer said after a good test run and that there was no water coming in the back of the boat off the leg. Got lucky it seems which I’m bloody happy about. That would have shat me to tears.
Old 15 October 2022, 21:12   #12

Arhhh mend up !

Yeah my concern is if I go to the effort of install the CMK transom cap and it still happens (spill over).

The cap makes the transom 18.5”, which to me seems still 1.5”-2.0” to low. So do I then mig/tig weld on another piece of square hollow section on top of the CMK cap to gain that bit more motor height, at a cross roads lol.

So I wonder if I sell the sea pro to find a Tohatsu / Yamaha. The only engines I can see appear to be all the thundercat guys, god knows what life they’ve had, but they are easy to fix.

I’m glad I got a nice boat, just need to work this part out.

Can I ask;

where you got the trailer, I think I should sort that out now so I can at least work on the boat. Mackay want 6k in gst for a trailer to suit the FC.

What did you use to pump it up.
Old 16 October 2022, 03:10   #13

Cheers cobber. I’ve pm’d you [emoji1303]