Old 11 February 2005, 01:05   #1

Town: Des Moines, Iowa
Boat name: Perfecto
Make: Merc
Length: 4m +
2 days until my new boat.

Hi everyone, Ive been saving my money for the past year and finally have enough for my first rib/sib. Im a student in Vancouver BC and cant wait to have my first boat. Ive been working my ass off as a cook for the last year.
Now onto the business. The Boat show is on Saturday.
Im probably going to get the Mercury Airdeck 340 with a Merc 25 2 stroke.
What do you guys think about this combination for a first boat going to be used in calm ocean bays and rivers? Thanks! Look forward to getting one!
Old 11 February 2005, 02:23   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I am not famiar with mercury airdeck can you post a link.!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2005, 02:52   #3

oops, ur probably familiar with quicksilver sorry

Its the quicksilver airdeck 340. In north america they are marketed under mercury. Ill fix my original post.
Old 11 February 2005, 08:02   #4

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Hi Sirus and........

...welcome to the Forum.

I recall the feeling of having to save ones hard earnt cash in order to purchase your first boat, it's a great feeling.

Anyway..... A 340 with a 25 on the tail is going to fly like the wind, in fact if I were honest, I'd question why you are going for this combination. I used to have a 380 with a 15hp 2 stroke on the tail, it would easily plane and cruise all day at a very respectable speed with 3 big blokes aboard. Further, it would easily pull a 9 stone skier, in fact my pals and I taught all our kids and the dragaons how to ski behind her.

Anyway, the point is, if you opt for the 380 and a 15hp I THINK - only THINK - that you'll end up spending the same money. In return you'll get a far more seaworthy SIB which, will push you along just as well if not better if and when you decide to venture out into something other than calm lakes and rivers. Further, the 380 gives a better ride, enables you to pack more gear and take more friends.

The 15hp is one hell of a lot easier to man handle than the 25hp - I'd advise you to think about that one - furthermore, the difference between pack size between the two inflatables is neglegible.

Anyway mate, just my humble opinion, go for what makes you happy. Keep us informed, post some pics and above all be safe and have fun.

Graeme
Old 11 February 2005, 08:15   #5

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Yep.

I really agree with MEME.

Dan.
Old 11 February 2005, 10:29   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
IT kinda hurts me to say this....but so do I ! urghh!

We had a 15 hp on a 3.4 and it was plenty
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2005, 11:04   #7

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Just had a look at the Quicksilver catalogue and the max HP for the 340 Airdeck is 15HP

max engine weight 50kg
max persons 5

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with the 340
Old 11 February 2005, 13:36   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hi Sirius,

Always great to see other Canadians on Rib.net. I had seen the quicksilver RIBs/SIBs at a boat show here in Winnipeg. What I would suggest is, if you haven't committed to the quicksilver yet, that you check out 2 other places close to you in Vancouver. These are www.polarisboats.com based in Langley, and www.racing-inflatables.com in Parkersville B.C.

I had visited the polaris plant about a year ago and the quality and value of these boats is amazing. Guy, one of the 2 owners, took alot of time showing me around the plant, I was totally impressed.

As for the outfit in Parkersville, they distribute the Gemini Surf 380/420 tunnel hull SIBs which I have heard great things about as well. They are available with either hypalon or PVC tubes. DO NOT go with the PVC tubes even if they cost a little less than hypalon!

Good Luck

Mark
Old 11 February 2005, 14:11   #9

Town: friesland
Boat name: smokkelaer
Make: revenger
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber
Hi Sirius,

Always great to see other Canadians on Rib.net. I had seen the quicksilver RIBs/SIBs at a boat show here in Winnipeg. What I would suggest is, if you haven't committed to the quicksilver yet, that you check out 2 other places close to you in Vancouver. These are www.polarisboats.com based in Langley, and www.racing-inflatables.com in Parkersville B.C.

I had visited the polaris plant about a year ago and the quality and value of these boats is amazing. Guy, one of the 2 owners, took alot of time showing me around the plant, I was totally impressed.

As for the outfit in Parkersville, they distribute the Gemini Surf 380/420 tunnel hull SIBs which I have heard great things about as well. They are available with either hypalon or PVC tubes. DO NOT go with the PVC tubes even if they cost a little less than hypalon!

Good Luck

Mark
Yep, have to agree to this too. Definitly buy hypalon and no pvc. I have had some pvc boats and they don't last long in the combination sunlight and cleaning.
But then hypalon is most likely more expensive then pvc. As you said this is the first time for you buying a rib. When you will buy a pvc boat, remember not to place it in the sun for a long period (weeks) and try to use a quality suitable wax to keep the boat clean as simple as only have to use water and bits of soft soap.

Good luck !

Dan.
Old 11 February 2005, 14:54   #10

Quote:

Parkersville

Mark
Nice name for a town , sounds familiar
I like it already
Old 11 February 2005, 22:21   #11

ya lol i meant 15 hp 2 stroke

Ya the max hp is 15 hp. My mistake. Anyways I was considering both the Quicksilver 340 airdeck and the Quicksilver 430 Heavy Duty. But I kind of think the 430 ruins the purpose of a sib. The 340 is much more portable. The 430 would need 3-4 men to carry with the engine. The main reason for the 340 is that I dont want to have to buy a trailer. Though I might end up getting one. For now the 340 seems the best choice. Ill let you guys know which one I buy and post lotsa pictures from British Columbia. Thanks for those links. I love polaris boats but they are out of my price range at the moment. Hopefully if im able to afford a 15 ft rib in the next 5 years or so ill go for a polaris.
Old 11 February 2005, 22:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Nice name for a town , sounds familiar
I like it already
Yeah, its all about you.

Old 11 February 2005, 22:48   #13

Oops!!! I just rechecked that website and it's actually Parksville, B.C. (not Parkersville). So it really isn't about you at all - Sorry Andre
Old 12 February 2005, 08:28   #14

Quote:
Oops!!! I just rechecked that website and it's actually Parksville, B.C. (not Parkersville). So it really isn't about you at all - Sorry Andre
Well there are enough Parkers anyway
Old 12 February 2005, 08:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Bane
Ya the max hp is 15 hp. My mistake. Anyways I was considering both the Quicksilver 340 airdeck and the Quicksilver 430 Heavy Duty. But I kind of think the 430 ruins the purpose of a sib. The 340 is much more portable. The 430 would need 3-4 men to carry with the engine. The main reason for the 340 is that I dont want to have to buy a trailer. Though I might end up getting one. For now the 340 seems the best choice. Ill let you guys know which one I buy and post lotsa pictures from British Columbia. Thanks for those links. I love polaris boats but they are out of my price range at the moment. Hopefully if im able to afford a 15 ft rib in the next 5 years or so ill go for a polaris.
And since it is your BIRTHDAY many happy returns of the day
Old 13 February 2005, 17:43   #16

I bought my first boat!

Yesterday I bought it! Its a Quicksilver 430 Heavy Duty with 25 Horse Merc 2 stroke! I got them both as a package and got an excellent deal! Im getting it delivered within 2 weeks so I shall post many pictures here of my first outing! I opted for the 430 becuase it is a lot more boat than the 340 but isnt that much more expensive. I am now part of the rib/sib community!
Old 13 February 2005, 18:37   #17

Congratulations, definitely post up some pictures once you have them. I think you'll find the 430 HD a much more versatile boat than the 340 airdeck. With the 430 you'll easily be able to fit 2 adults plus camping/fishing/hunting gear for a few days. That would have been very difficult with the 340. Also the hard floor will be much more durable than the airdeck, especially for carrying gear. The boat and motor are still a manageble weight for 1 person to set up & take down with the use of launching wheels.

QS 430 HD specs

One more thought, if you are taking a trip with another adult and yourself along with a fair bit of gear (including extra gas tanks), you'll be glad that you didn't go any less than 25 HP.
Old 13 February 2005, 21:02   #18

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Great purchase; I started with a Quicksilver 270ad and 6hp engine!!!

Worked my arse off walking dogs for that one.
Old 14 February 2005, 07:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Bane
Yesterday I bought it! Its a Quicksilver 430 Heavy Duty with 25 Horse Merc 2 stroke! I got them both as a package and got an excellent deal! Im getting it delivered within 2 weeks so I shall post many pictures here of my first outing! I opted for the 430 becuase it is a lot more boat than the 340 but isnt that much more expensive. I am now part of the rib/sib community!
Well done