Old 10 October 2016, 23:46   #1

Town: Sacramento
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
1988 Mark V HD

Recently bought this '88 Mark V Heavy Duty and have a few questions. Its in relatively good shape, holds air and all the seams look to be solid. It has no floor in it and also appears to not have an inflatable keel.

First off can I use my later model MK1 floor pieces and fab a few more to take up the extra floor space? Second is the performance going to suffer due to being essentially a flat bottom? Have a 50 HP 2 stroke to mount on it also.

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 11 October 2016, 00:34   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink916 View Post
Recently bought this '88 Mark V Heavy Duty and have a few questions. Its in relatively good shape, holds air and all the seams look to be solid. It has no floor in it and also appears to not have an inflatable keel.

First off can I use my later model MK1 floor pieces and fab a few more to take up the extra floor space? Second is the performance going to suffer due to being essentially a flat bottom? Have a 50 HP 2 stroke to mount on it also.

Thanks in advance for any input
The boat will not work properly without a keel.

The MK V has a very wide beam, I do not think your old floorboards will work.

You will need to fabricate a floor that is about 25mm longer than the measured distance to properly stretch the boat.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 01:05   #3

Town: Sacramento
Make: Zodiac
So did these early model use the floor pieces to create a keel? My later model had an inflatable piece running down the center that the floor essentially pushed down to make a keel.
Old 11 October 2016, 06:28   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
So did these early model use the floor pieces to create a keel? My later model had an inflatable piece running down the center that the floor essentially pushed down to make a keel.
It would have had an inflatable keel which has subsequently been removed. They can leak at the transom end where it's thermobonded, and can be repaired. Zodiac sell them as replacement units.
Old 11 October 2016, 10:20   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
I believe these had a "futura" hull.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:30   #6

Quote:
No, it had a keel, it was just probably removed by the Military before the unit was decommissioned.

You can fabricate a keel out of wood. Use the Bombard Commando for inspiration.
Old 11 October 2016, 21:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
No, it had a keel, it was just probably removed by the Military before the unit was decommissioned.

You can fabricate a keel out of wood. Use the Bombard Commando for inspiration.
In order to properly custom make a floorboard set for your boat, you will need to take some exact measurements of your particular boat.
  • Inflate the boat to 240 mb and leave to settle for 4 hr
  • Before measuring, check pressure and top off as ncessary
  • Measure between the rear of the fixed floorboard (the thrustboard in the bow) and the transom where the stern floorboard section rests against it

The floorboard should be made to be at LEAST 55mm oversized from the total length, optimum is 65mm oversize, 75mm maximum.

The idea is the extra length stretches the boat out and locks the floorboards in place.

You will need some stringers that lock the floor in place and lock them from flexing up and down. They are triangle shaped blocks that fit over the floorboard "joints", and fit snug in between the joint for the tube / bottom of the boat.