Old 13 March 2008, 14:22   #1

Town: Fort Erie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: merc
1986 zodiac

I'm just looking for a little bit of help and info. I just got a 1986 zodiac . the model number says 143. Any info on this type of boat would be great. The boat is NOS but the transom let go from age. I have heard this was a problem but I'm looking for the best way to fix it. I'm not sure what the boat is made of and what type of glue would work best. I would take it to get fixed but there is no one close by that wants to do it.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 13 March 2008, 14:41   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiagaraDiver View Post
I'm just looking for a little bit of help and info. I just got a 1986 zodiac . the model number says 143. Any info on this type of boat would be great. The boat is NOS but the transom let go from age. I have heard this was a problem but I'm looking for the best way to fix it. I'm not sure what the boat is made of and what type of glue would work best. I would take it to get fixed but there is no one close by that wants to do it.

Thanks

Ryan

The inside transom must have a information plate, send sib lenght and post some pics so to look. If it`s not a military big one must be Strongan, a fancy French name for PVC
Old 13 March 2008, 15:44   #3

Town: Oakland CA
I don't think Zodiac went to PVC until 1996.

jky
Old 13 March 2008, 17:41   #4

on the tag it says model 143??? no name... just a number. I will post some pics.
Old 13 March 2008, 23:44   #5

pics

pictures of the boat and plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00503.JPG
Views:	1385
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	33454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00505.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	33455  
Old 14 March 2008, 04:39   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Can you post some close up pictures of where the transom separation is occurring? Is the transom wood separating from the rubber yoke, or is the rubber yoke separating from the tubes? Is the rubber yoke itself tearing?

Also, could you post a detailed picture of some tube seams? The tubes probably are hypalon, but if you contact your local zodiac dealer (or even the Canadian headquarters in Mississauga) and explain that you have a 3.1 m boat built in 1986, they should be able to confirm the tube material for you have. For any structural repairs you will need to use a 2 part glue.
Old 14 March 2008, 10:56   #7

It is in a wood transom and it is coming out of the yoke and it is seperated from both tubes.

Here is a seam pic as well

thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00506.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	33459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00507.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	33460  
Old 14 March 2008, 13:04   #8

Town: Toronto
That's a PVC tube. You will need to remove the transom from the black PVC yoke and remove the yokes from the tube. The fabric floor will also likely have to be pulled away from the tube about 4 to 6 inches forward from the transom. After taking everything apart, remove the old glue with lots of rags and MEK. Once you have removed the old glue and have clean PVC and wood you can put it back together. Use 2 part polyurethane based adhesive to reassemble. We can supply the adhesive and solvents. PM me if you would like more information.
Old 14 March 2008, 14:47   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berry View Post
That's a PVC tube. You will need to remove the transom from the black PVC yoke and remove the yokes from the tube. The fabric floor will also likely have to be pulled away from the tube about 4 to 6 inches forward from the transom. After taking everything apart, remove the old glue with lots of rags and MEK. Once you have removed the old glue and have clean PVC and wood you can put it back together. Use 2 part polyurethane based adhesive to reassemble. We can supply the adhesive and solvents. PM me if you would like more information.

If you already have transom/tubes separation time problems, maybe you should re glue the whole floor fabric as well, would be a pity to fix transom/tubes and in a short time experiment water filtrations throught the floor lateral seams.

My advise would be : If you have no experience gluing sibs, better perform the job with someone that has the skill to do it like Dave, this work can take lots of time, patience, special required tools and will need to glue in a control temperature environmet for the glue to solder well if you want a excelent long lasting work done.

Happy Boating
Old 15 March 2008, 01:01   #10

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Given your proximity to Dave (1 1/2 hrs max?) I'd bring it to him to him and get a quote. Experience goes a long, long ways to successful repairs on structural items.