Old 18 July 2016, 19:55   #41

Town: Vancouver Island
Boat name: Umm....boat. :)
Make: Zodiac GR MKII
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 25 HP
I also use Z7098 and usually stress out when mixing it up. I mix up enough to use a whole glass bottle of activator (?) and go from there.

Can I mix less and reseal the glass bottle if I need a smaller amount?
Old 18 July 2016, 21:01   #42

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
I also use Z7098 and usually stress out when mixing it up. I mix up enough to use a whole glass bottle of activator (?) and go from there.

Can I mix less and reseal the glass bottle if I need a smaller amount?
Less than a full dose is okay. Add reactant at a ratio of 5%. I use disposable pipettes for that.

Recapped, the reactant is good for 30-45 days. If it starts to crystalize inside, it is bad.

As Z7098 gets older, you'll find the solids want to settle to the bottom. I like to give it a stir with a fresh tongue depressor to recombine it, or a shake.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 21:27   #43

Great, thanks.

I noticed that my used bottles tend to crystallize quite quickly when exposed to air. In fact everything happens quickly when mixed up...

Gluing up is truly an art. The more I do it, the more I realize how tricky it can be to get right.

Your advice is much appreciated Richard. If you ever make it out to BC, you have a place to stay and a tour guide at your disposal.
Old 08 September 2016, 04:10   #44

Town: campbell river
Make: Zodiac MK 2 GR
Nice looking GR...I just picked one up too...not sure of the year, the info plate was removed...it was owned by somebody who worked at the military base in comox...it needs a few patches...I've heard there is a guy in parksville who does a good job...I'll let the pros do it first and maybe I'll do the next bit of work if it proves necessary. Also I'm wondering if anyone might know off hand if the transom would fit a short or long shaft motor.

Anyway, thanks for the post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	115798  
Old 08 September 2016, 04:17   #45

Nice looking GR...I just picked one up too...not sure of the year, the info plate was removed...it was owned by somebody who worked at the military base in comox...it needs a few patches...I've heard there is a guy in parksville who does a good job...I'll let the pros do it first and maybe I'll do the next bit of work if it proves necessary. Also I'm wondering if anyone might know off hand if the transom would fit a short or long shaft motor.

Anyway, thanks for the post.
Old 08 September 2016, 05:06   #46

Nice boat, looks way newer than what I have. There is a guy in Qualicum Beach that does repairs but if its just a few patches you need you can easily do it yourself. I can give you a hand if you like.

I'm guessing its a short shaft that you have. I had to raise the transom on mine so my motor sits correctly. If you don't have an engine yet, there are a couple of good ones available on Craigslist.
Old 08 September 2016, 05:13   #47

Oops.. I may have spoken too soon. I had another look at your transom and you may just have a long shaft transom.

Ill measure mine tomorrow and give you the original short shaft height for comparison.
Old 08 September 2016, 12:38   #48

Nice one thanks for the reply and offer for the help...what size of motor would you recommend? I think it's rated for a 55, but that seems excessive. My uncle had the same size boat when I was a kid and he had a 40...what do you think?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08 September 2016, 16:32   #49

Well I measured up and the original transom height was 15". I raised it to accommodate a 25hp that I had prior to getting this boat.

As for motor selection, I guess it depends on what you plan to use the boat for.

If it will live on a trailer then I would get a bigger motor like your uncle. There is a nice Johnson 45hp commercial unit for sale on Craigslists right now that would make that boat fly. Although that is a lot of power it may be useful if you plan to use it to explore the Gulf islands and are crossing open water often.

Even with my 25hp motor, I can get to Lasqueti Island from Parksville in a reasonable amount of time but wouldn't mind some more power...
Old 18 April 2017, 11:47   #50

Town: Istanbul
Make: MKIII Zodiac GR 1986
Engine: Johnson 30hp 2/s
I have a similar model (MKII GR 1986) with you Micknair. The top of the transom is lover than tubes top line unlike with my boat. You can see how short ones look like in page 1 Bodge's photos.
So it seems to me long shaft. And it seems like you have a repaired or changed transom.
Old 18 April 2017, 11:49   #51

Town: Istanbul
Make: MKIII Zodiac GR 1986
Engine: Johnson 30hp 2/s
By the way Bodge i want to ask you something.

How is your transom supports, do you have any problem. I'm planning to do something similar with your transom support.