Old 20 March 2017, 14:59   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep in truth we all have to weigh up our own abilities firstly with the boat and then in the water if dunked. Also up to each to decide on the level of acceptable risk bearing in mind operating area, other crew member's abilities and any further safety equipment carried in boat/on person.

For me that equation's answer falls in the 70-100N range. Still undecided on brand/model but this 70N Palm Hydro Red | Buoyancy Aid / PFD - Canoe and Kayak Store is still the frontrunner... crotch straps will be added.

Anyway if I think I might fall out I'll blow up the beach landing rollers Gurnard tempted me into buying last year... 135lbs positive buoyancy under each arm!
Old 24 March 2017, 12:29   #22

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And useful to try climbing back in with all that gubbins... You might find it impedes you (or you rip the pockets off - oops!)
Agreed. I assisted a kayak fisherman last year who fell off his kayak and couldn't get back on and it looked like he was wearing quite a bulky PFD with full pockets which were restricting him climbing back on. I had to hold his kayak steady while he got back on as his body kept pushing it away from him.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:38   #23

Town: London
Length: 6m +
Haha yes - would be quite perverse if you had to remove your PFD in order to get back on board....
Old 24 March 2017, 12:50   #24

Yep that's why I'm not going for some of the extreme shaped kayak biased PFDs with huge front/side pockets like full hamster cheeks!

It's taken a week to decide on a torch... so the PFD will be a while longer.

BTW this lady appears to be wearing her PFD and she has no trouble getting back in the SIB!

Old 24 March 2017, 18:57   #25

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Not the silicon ones you see
Old 24 March 2017, 19:44   #26

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Typical. Just called Decathlon in MK to check the availability and colour choice of the
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ba500-70...d_8166146.html intending to order 2,..only to be told it's been withdrawn nationally because of a safety concern...and even if you have ordered one on the website, the warehouse won't be able to despatch it.
Old 24 March 2017, 20:22   #27

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Typical. Just called Decathlon in MK to check the availability and colour choice of the
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ba500-70...d_8166146.html intending to order 2,..only to be told it's been withdrawn nationally because of a safety concern...and even if you have ordered one on the website, the warehouse won't be able to despatch it.
Old 24 March 2017, 20:23   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Since I have gone back to sibing getting back in the boat is an issue not just with kit on but not getting any younger I have a method sorted and going to try this week but the guy who bought my boat has a set of sea steps around £39 and swears by them worth thinking about I certainly will if my set up doesn't work
Old 24 March 2017, 23:00   #29

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Looked great value but better to find out something's wrong this way
Old 05 April 2017, 18:31   #30

Well I said the decision (dithering?) might take a while... almost 3wks actually.

Went for the Palm Hydro in the end from Palm Hydro PFD - Red - With free Hydration Bladder! - Marine Warehouse Ltd from Marine Warehouse who were offering it at £79-99 inc a free £13 hydration bladder.

I should have been a M/L but sixth sense made me order that and an XL/XXL which was the next size up. Only stood to lose the postage when returning the one that didn't fit for a refund.

Despite me taking 42-44 jackets which should have brought me into the 43" capacity of the M/L I did need the larger size.

Each jacket has a certificate with its individual buoyancy rating marked and mine is a 79N. In a crisis the free 1.5l hydration bladder which fits into the back pouch can of course be used in reverse by inflating to gain an extra 9N... in theory!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palm PFD.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	118837  
Old 05 June 2017, 14:29   #31

Just an update... the dithering time was worth it as I've ended up with 100% what I needed. For anyone with similar requirements to mine I'd say this is an excellent PFD.

Brilliant having pockets for the first time... just carrying radio, backup GPS & penknife in them.

It didn't have a crotch strap but after testing it and seeing how essential one was like Gurnard a few posts above I added a strap. Not quite as neat as his stitching I'm sure but strong enough. I made the slot with a hot knife for the strap loop to go through over the existing reinforcing webbing before stitching to it.

The strap came from these folks and I chose them as they supplied it in a red option.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Life-Jacke...3D182544807616
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palm BA kit.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	119834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Palm BA strap.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	119835