Old 13 September 2010, 13:04   #1

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
10 metre tides (30 feet )

I fancied a trip to the Menai again on Sunday and noticed the tide times as normal and the range 10 metres this weekend)...

The yam360s and 20hp yamaha outboard were fuel up and set off half way up the menia straight, I spent around 4.5 hours without stopping going out to sea on the south west end with newborough beach in sight. A bit too rough for me really, I was out of my comfort zone a few times. (I was on my own so no little son to worry about)...

I spent an hour or so messing about there. Then headed to puffin Island on the far north east end of the straights. Passed an inboard engined speed boat in trouble holding onto a large marker buoy, asked if he needed help, but he said he did not yet.. (holding a broken rubber belt in his hand???) I tried to head clockwise around puffin island passed a large bouy, but the waves and swell were massive, utterly out of my comfort zone again. I could not plane as I would of been thrown out so had to slow right down and stand in the middle of the boat and chickened out and headed for the lea of the island were there were loads of fishing boats with lines out almost parallel to the earth. I almost hit one line when I nosed out on to the north end of the island and got a blast from the turning tide and wind.. Saw a great big black seal in the water next to my boat, which is all I really wanted.. So headed back home with tide in full flow .

Used WOT most of the way back, and found the Menai very dangerous with walls of water, it was funny to see water with such different levels like water hills coming out of the sea. I have seen these before and gone over them on my jet skies, but still a bit out of my c.z. again ... My motor is set correctly and never normally cavitates, but a couple of time running over the large wirl pools and angry water the prop lost drive completely for a few seconds, just when you want everything to be perfect. Out of c.z once more when this happened... How your thought process changed when you have very young children, was loads of fun but I am not that experienced with power boats yet, and see all this as a challenge.....
Old 13 September 2010, 13:22   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Glad you had fun, we did the reverse on Friday, though the sand bar at Abermenai was fairly fun! then we headed back up to puffin but it was calm up there as it was a SW.

Have fun, but beware on the straits, you can head one way when wind is with tide, turn round and head back through either Caernarvon bar or "the sound" at puffin island and you will hit wind over tide

BTW the red bouy at puffin is perch rock. Don't go inside after half tide as it marks the reef from the tip of puffin.

Your engine may have cavitated between the bridges when hitting disturbed water from whirlpool etc by the rocks, you get air pockets, worrying, but not too bad. Especially on a 7.6 metre tide with 6mph running speed showing on the GPS when we drifted by Swelly rock and prices point

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
I fancied a trip to the Menai again on Sunday and noticed the tide times as normal and the range 10 metres this weekend)...

The yam360s and 20hp yamaha outboard were fuel up and set off half way up the menia straight, I spent around 4.5 hours without stopping going out to sea on the south west end with newborough beach in sight. A bit too rough for me really, I was out of my comfort zone a few times. (I was on my own so no little son to worry about)...

I spent an hour or so messing about there. Then headed to puffin Island on the far north east end of the straights. Passed an inboard engined speed boat in trouble holding onto a large marker buoy, asked if he needed help, but he said he did not yet.. (holding a broken rubber belt in his hand???) I tried to head clockwise around puffin island passed a large bouy, but the waves and swell were massive, utterly out of my comfort zone again. I could not plane as I would of been thrown out so had to slow right down and stand in the middle of the boat and chickened out and headed for the lea of the island were there were loads of fishing boats with lines out almost parallel to the earth. I almost hit one line when I nosed out on to the north end of the island and got a blast from the turning tide and wind.. Saw a great big black seal in the water next to my boat, which is all I really wanted.. So headed back home with tide in full flow .

Used WOT most of the way back, and found the Menai very dangerous with walls of water, it was funny to see water with such different levels like water hills coming out of the sea. I have seen these before and gone over them on my jet skies, but still a bit out of my c.z. again ... My motor is set correctly and never normally cavitates, but a couple of time running over the large wirl pools and angry water the prop lost drive completely for a few seconds, just when you want everything to be perfect. Out of c.z once more when this happened... How your thought process changed when you have very young children, was loads of fun but I am not that experienced with power boats yet, and see all this as a challenge.....