Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 January 2014, 09:25   #1

Town: Madrid (Spain)
Boat name: MAGO DE ONS
Make: ZAR 53
Length: 5m +
Engine: SUZUKI DF140
Which ALKO break system is fitted on my trailer?

Greetings from Spain!

My trailer:

Brand: Satellite
Model: M151S
Version: RX (previously called RE)

This trailer has a flushing system, ALKO sealed bearings and spring/shock absorber suspension type.

Despite of this equipment, the owners manual clearly states that the breaks and the hubs cannot be submerged...

I'm not an intensive user, I only use my boat during the summer holidays and in which I put the boat in the water and take it out twice. This means that the breaks and hubs are submersed a total of 4 times per year.

I never carry this operations after a large towing so the hubs are always at a low/proper temperature when they are submersed. Also, I immediately flush the breaks and wash the trailer after I used it. The rest of the year, the trailer and the boat are stored indoors.

Nevertheless I own it for almost 2 years now and I think it is time to do a service or at least to carry a quick check and confirm that everything is in due order.

I've made some research over the internet and mainly in this forum and I learned that:

The ALKO water proof hub caps are difficult to remove and it is recommended to have a former tool.

The waterproof sealed hub caps of my trailer are the following:

ALKO ref.: 1313924

The recommended former tool is the following:

AL KO ref.: 603751

up to here everything is clear, but the problem is that I need to buy the sealed bearing replacement kit (with circlip and one shot nut) but I don't know which is version of AL KO brakes that my trailer has fitted.

I suspect it is the 2051 version but I'm not sure. Perhaps you can identify them from the bellow pictures or you can tell me where to look for a hard stamped number/ref.?

I cannot find the part nr. on the manufacturer's part list because they use their own internal number even for the 3rd maker's parts.

Thank you for your help and regards!
Old 16 January 2014, 18:59   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Hola

Make sure you read

http://www.rib.net/forum/f49/changin...ngs-46903.html

Courtesy of Trailer Guy

I have Alko 2051 hubs on my Rapide trailer . I can tell you that each bearing is approx 71.5mm OD , 42mm ID X 36mm Wide . If you need them , I can get more accurate dimensions in work tomorrow .

This may help to confirm or rule out the 2051 .

These bearings are NOT ( as far as most folk are concerned ) salt-water proof as far as any immersion goes . They may be fresh water splash proof !

I believe the flush system is mainly intended to reduce corrosion on the brake system . Once any corrosion sets in on the bearings , things can only get worse ( normally rapidly )

Please do a search . You will probably find you can jack up each wheel in turn , release the hand brake and rack the wheel forwards and backwards and check for any grinding or wiggle .

I believe you can only use this sort of a check to confirm you have a problem ! There is no substitute for knowing that you have regularly maintained your hubs & brakes , and replaced as necessary .

I change my bearings every year ! ( Some of my very experienced engineering colleagues in work tell me I am mad , replacing perfectly decent bearings ) . However having had one expensive trailer disaster , I would rather change 'em than risk it . ( I do drive hundreds of miles on motorways at 60 mph though )

If you want to inspect the brakes , you will need to remove the hubs anyway ( so you also need something like a 32 mm socket with a solid drive........mine is 1 " , cos they are bloody tight to undo )

I believe you are supposed to replace bearings perhaps 4 times or so before you need a new hub , but I worry a lot let about this than I do about a bearing giving out .

Can you get the replacement kits easily out there ?

If not , contact Trailer Guy

Regards

Bern
Old 17 January 2014, 12:43   #3

Tks for your reply.

I've read that thread and I've also watched the following video:

Both are excellent!

Now I need to confirm which ALKO brake type I have installed in my trailer and which is the correct bearing size.

I suspect that the brake type is the 2051, nevertheless there are 4 different models of it: Aa, Ab, Ac and Ad.

Also there are 2 bearing sizes for these brakes:
  • 39x72x37mm
  • 34x64x37mm
What a mess
Old 20 January 2014, 07:42   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
This may help:

Your trailer model: Remorques SATELLITE : mise à l'eau multirouleaux

maybe this:

www.rsa-fr.fr/RSA_France/SAV_remorques/Pieces_ Remorques/E51_Essieux.htm - Translator

and this too:

www.rsa-fr.fr/RSA_France/SAV_remorques/Pieces_ Remorques/E70_Essieux.htm - Translator

The last two are translated in to English, via Bing, as my French is ok - but definitely not up to technical jargon (and I speak 'trailer' fluently!), I trust you don't mind.

If you can't make head nor tail of the above, try their dealers (three listed in Spain):

RSA : Assistance en Europe

All the best, Ben
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2014, 08:25   #5

Tks Ben, I had already seen those, but suspect that their diagrams do not match with the reality.

It shows 2 bearings, does not show a one shot nut but a nut with a pin as in tapper bearings, it shows washers, 4 PCD mine has 5 screws, etc..

What is your opinion?

Also the part nrs. shown in their diagrams seem to be internal and they are useless if you want to buy it elsewhere.

Nevertheless I asked my brother to take the wheel out this weekend and to take pictures of all references that he could find:

(will resume in the following post)
Old 20 January 2014, 08:26   #6

On the breaking plate it is hard stamped the following:

Typ 2051 Ausf A Zul. Bremsl. 650Kg/750kg
EG.Pr.Nr.36105686
Typgodkannande 068Ps 069Ps 070Ps 084Ps

On the break drum it is hard stamped:

4 5 (on the bottom)

I will investigate these references.
Old 20 January 2014, 09:41   #7

Well, after a quick investigation of the drum casting number I've found that the brake type is one of the followings:

2051 Ab EURO PLUS
2051 Ab EURO COMPACT

I guess I will have to disassemble it to check which one it is because the bearing size is different.

Old 20 January 2014, 09:48   #8

at a guess I'd said you had 1637 drum (you're correct with shoes) with 5 x M14 bolts on a 140mm PCD

Shoes will be 2051
Bearings will be inner diameter 34mm, outer diameter 64mm, 37mm width

That's a guess to be honest.

If your brother's going to the effort of removing the drum, then get him to measure the bearings and the PCD, whilst it's off.

Also, the red brake cables will have a length printed on them, in yellow; something like '1130' or similar. Get him to write that down too.

So, I would:

1. Remove the wheel and drum and measure the bearing size and drum PCD.

2. Write down the cable length

3. Write down your tyre size and recommended pressure

You'll then be sorted for any future spares you may require.

All the best
Old 20 January 2014, 09:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR2ENG View Post
Well, after a quick investigation of the drum casting number I've found that the brake type is one of the followings:

2051 Ab EURO PLUS
2051 Ab EURO COMPACT

I guess I will have to disassemble it to check which one it is because the bearing size is different.

Sorry, our posts must have crossed. Yes, I agree, better to be safe than sorry and measure it all up.
Old 20 January 2014, 10:21   #10

Tks Ben. will definitely follow your advice and record all references for future spares.

Will revert with further info once available!
Old 20 January 2014, 10:57   #11

I guess the bearing size will be 39 x 72 x 37 mm.

My guesses are based on the following:

With the casting number mentioned in the drums of my trailer (564829) I've found 2 possible references refs. in AL KO's catalogue (pictures in post #7):

EURO PLUS DRUM 578528 140x5/M14x1.5 TYPE 2051Ab CASTING NR. 564829 ETI NR. 811158
EURO COMPACT DRUM 578825 140x5/M14x1.5 TYPE 2051Ab CASTING NR. 564829 ETI NR. 811268

I don't know what is the ETI nr. or what it means, but while checking the 2 only bearings available and compatible with the 2051 brake type:

34x64x37 ROULEMENT CARTOUCHE 34 X 64 X 37 - www.pieces-alko.fr
39x72x37: ROULEMENT CARTOUCHE 39 X 72 X 37 - www.pieces-alko.fr

I found that the bearing 39x72x37 is compatible with both of the above ETI nrs. wilts the 34x64x37 is compatible with one of them only:

ETI NRS. COMPATIBLE WITH 39x72x37 BEARING:

ETI NRS. COMPATIBLE WITH 34x64x37 BEARING:

Nevertheless, before ordering the parts I will ask my brother to disassemble the drum and reconfirm which one is it.
Old 20 January 2014, 11:46   #12

welcome to my world....