Old 12 February 2010, 09:49   #1

Town: Aberdeen
Boat name: Extravagance
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150
What can I tow?

I am considering changing to a 4x4, which is much heavier than my current car, however as a diabetic I have a restricted categories that I am permitted to drive.

My category entitlements are B, BE, valid from 1991.

My question is whether my licence entitles me to drive a car and trailer (c/w boat) with the following combined weight

Car – 2600kg + Trailer and Boat – 1360kg + Passengers – 200kg = 4160kg

I believe the answer is yes because BE entitlement allows you to drive a car and heavier trailer combination?

Anyone in the know?

Thanks
Old 12 February 2010, 09:54   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I am considering changing to a 4x4, which is much heavier than my current car, however as a diabetic I have a restricted categories that I am permitted to drive.

My category entitlements are B, BE, valid from 1991.

My question is whether my licence entitles me to drive a car and trailer (c/w boat) with the following combined weight

Car – 2600kg + Trailer and Boat – 1360kg + Passengers – 200kg = 4160kg

I believe the answer is yes because BE entitlement allows you to drive a car and heavier trailer combination?

Anyone in the know?

Thanks
Have a look here it may help

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.htm
Old 12 February 2010, 13:28   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
It all depends when you passed your test (as opposed to what your current licensse issue says) amongst other things- there are "grandfather rights" for those of us who didn't need to do the current trailer test originally for towing "big" stuff, otherwise you're same as anyone else who would sit their test now. I forget the cut- off date.

One thing to watch is that if your "train" is 4.1 tonnes, you may be illegal as I THINK the B / BE is for 3.5T GTW. I used to be legal to drive 7.5tonnes (and did), but lost that 3 or 4 re-issues ago......

There's a few pages on the DVLA website if you can get your head round the legal speak.
Old 12 February 2010, 17:15   #4

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Car licences held before 1 January 1997

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.
Old 12 February 2010, 19:46   #5

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
As long as you avoid vehicles with a gross weight of less than 3500kg and don't start towing something ridiculous like a 7.5m RIB you should be fine.
I looked into this years ago for the same reason when the new restrictions were introduced and for normal recreational use it wasn't a problem.
It is also possible to replate vehicles which ARE over the 3500kg like LD 110's to 3499kg and make them legal to use on a normal licence.
Old 12 February 2010, 22:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
It is also possible to replate vehicles which ARE over the 3500kg like LD 110's to 3499kg and make them legal to use on a normal licence.
Why would you need to replate a 110? The MAM of a Standard Land Rover Defender 110 is 3050kg, and even the heavy duty version is only 3500kg which means they can both be driven on a normal Category B licence.

And then as long as you have category B+E, you can tow a trailer up to 3050kg (Std) or 3500kg (HD) {provided it's breaked of course)
Old 12 February 2010, 22:59   #7

I don't know about the latest version but about 10 years ago 110's were plated as a gross vehicle weight of something like 3510kg, just over the 3500kg limit on that licence.
I looked into it at the time as I was considering buying one as a replacement for the 90 I had. I found it was possible to have one replated as 3499kg and consequently drive it, no vehicle changes other than having it reclassified.
Old 12 February 2010, 23:17   #8

strange. Ive got a 1996 and a 1999 owners manual here, and they both say either 3050kg or 3500kg.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:19   #9

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
strange. Ive got a 1996 and a 1999 owners manual here, and they both say either 3050kg or 3500kg.
Hasn't this caused the 110's to end up needing a different MOT if plated over 3500kg?
Old 13 February 2010, 10:39   #10

All I remember is that 10 years ago when I looked at it it was an issue for my licence and replating was the fix, don't remember exactly the details as I only looked at it when I was considering selling my 90 and upsizing to a 110.
The idea was dropped as I eventually got fed up sitting by the side of the road with bits that had fell off the 90 and I bought a Jeep.
Old 13 February 2010, 15:54   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/motclass.htm
Old 13 February 2010, 16:03   #12

Town: Chania
Boat name: Patricia
Make: Ribtic
Engine: Outboard Petrol 135
What can i Tow ?

Hi with your licence yes you can

steve myatt
Old 15 February 2010, 11:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
until their licence expires.
There is a small print thing with "medical short period" licences where technically your bit of paper becomes invalid, but as long as you renew it & the quacks are happy when you do, you keep your "grandfather rights".

Once again I refer tyou to the DVLA for the "legal wording".......
Old 16 February 2010, 14:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Once again I refer tyou to the DVLA for the "legal wording".......
My post was quoted from the DVLA website word for word
Old 16 February 2010, 15:17   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
One thing to watch is that if your "train" is 4.1 tonnes, you may be illegal as I THINK the B / BE is for 3.5T GTW. I used to be legal to drive 7.5tonnes (and did), but lost that 3 or 4 re-issues ago......
no the 3.5 tonne limit is the MAM of the car not the train weight. So B+E will be fine. You know you could ask for your cat C1 entitlement back if you can be bothered jumping through hoops every year and forking out for a medical every year?
Old 16 February 2010, 15:36   #16

I had mine removed at my first short term renewal and, at the time, was told I couldn't have it back under any circumstances unless I was actually using it for work. If this was the case I needed proof of this and a yearly medical.
Has this relaxed again?
Old 16 February 2010, 15:58   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I had mine removed at my first short term renewal and, at the time, was told I couldn't have it back under any circumstances unless I was actually using it for work. If this was the case I needed proof of this and a yearly medical.
Has this relaxed again?
Bruce, I think it has been relaxed since then. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents...0to%20know.doc

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get c1 added back on just with a medical/paper chase or if they would expect you to take the test as you've been without the category (rather than an existing C1 holder who is diagnosed today and so is losing the cat for the first time).
Old 17 February 2010, 09:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
no the 3.5 tonne limit is the MAM of the car not the train weight. So B+E will be fine.
Dont you love the DVLA website? Having had another look, I find
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073
Shock horror - plain(ish) English!!!

Looks like my original understanding was wrong!

Quote:
You know you could ask for your cat C1 entitlement back if you can be bothered jumping through hoops every year and forking out for a medical every year?
Yeah, with an annual (expensive) medical, but gave up after seeing what the annual cost was going to be for my likely use of it.

Quote:
I'm not sure how easy it would be to get c1 added back on just with a medical/paper chase or if they would expect you to take the test as you've been without the category (rather than an existing C1 holder who is diagnosed today and so is losing the cat for the first time).
The ironic thing is I'll have driven a 7.5 tonner a lot more recently than my mum who could legally jump into & drive one right now, having never so much as sat in the cab of anything that big!

I guess my original doubt has sparked a useful discussion, and I now know I can get round my 3.5T "glass ceiling" with careful choice of tow vehicle & trailer!
The slightly ironic bit of that is that the main reason I usually hired 7.5 tonners wasn't for the weight capacity, but for the volume of the box behind the cab........
Old 17 February 2010, 10:17   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
The ironic thing is I'll have driven a 7.5 tonner a lot more recently than my mum who could legally jump into & drive one right now, having never so much as sat in the cab of anything that big!
indeed and so can my mother who has not even driven a car for over ten years! She can also drive a minibus commercially if she wants - whereas you can't - but I think you can still drive a minibus for a charity... ...because obviously you are safer when its not your livlihood at stake!
Old 17 February 2010, 13:38   #20

Town: Aberdeen
Boat name: Extravagance
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Thanks all.

I did contact the DVLA, but to be honest they confused me even more. I also suspect the person I spoke to did not really have much of a clue. Reading this from the direct.gov website, then I am fine with my B+E entitlement. (LR Discovery + Boat and Trailer)

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.