Old 08 August 2013, 05:20   #1

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
VIN help

My trailer does not have a VIN - it has a serial number only on the plate. I am now in DK and they want a VIN to register it. Any suggestions?
Old 09 August 2013, 17:52   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Assuming it's a UK trailer that you've imported to DK I think your best bet is to get the DK authorities to issue you with a VIN if possible, UK trailers don't generally have them. There must be a mechanism to import a non-VIN trailer from another EU country into DK, surely.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2013, 18:02   #3

Thanks a lot for the advice - I'll try that. I also wrote to VOSA for advice and will post what they answer! All other ideas welcomed...
Old 09 August 2013, 21:51   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Have a search on here, I'm fairly confident this has been delved into before, it may help point you in the right direction.

IIRC the other poster/postee had to obtain some paperwork from the uk manufacturer stating it was type approved etc.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 07:04   #5

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
UK trailer might be a challenge to register In Sweden and Finland, regarding DK, don't know.

Main challenge is maybe not the missing serial but CE and other technical documentation that can be hard to obtain, depends also on the component used by the manufacturer.

I was allowed to stamp the serial from the plate to the frame and got is sorted.

Good luck!
Old 10 August 2013, 07:25   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
If your trailer meets EU type approval, then you should have a VIN number and registering it should be simple. This should be the case for any trailer built since 29th October 2012. There are however some manufacturers still selling trailers without type approval, claiming they have an exemption, but recent VOSA guidance clearly shows there is no exemption available. If your trailer does not meet type approval, registering it will be much more complicated, as you will have to produce paperwork to show that all the components are CE compliant and add side marker lights and outline markers which are required in most other EU countries.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 07:29   #7

Thanks for all the help . So far they told me I can't have the serial number stamped, it must be the VIN. UK trailers, I think I learnt, don't have a VIN. I have got a data verification form filled out by mersea (who bought bramber who made my trailer) this form can be used in lieu of a UK registration document .... but .... Seems still the problem is they want a VIN stamped in the trailer for a visual inspection and don't accept that UK trailers don't have one . Nightmare!
Old 10 August 2013, 07:31   #8

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
If your trailer meets EU type approval, then you should have a VIN number and registering it should be simple. This should be the case for any trailer built since 29th October 2012. There are however some manufacturers still selling trailers without type approval, claiming they have an exemption, but recent VOSA guidance clearly shows there is no exemption available. If your trailer does not meet type approval, registering it will be much more complicated, as you will have to produce paperwork to show that all the components are CE compliant and add side marker lights and outline markers which are required in most other EU countries.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2013, 08:14   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW RIB Charter View Post
Mersea bought bramber in 2010 so this trailer seems to predate the new rules.

Moore, do people build kit cars (or modify customer vehicles) or make DIY trailers in Denmark at all? In the UK an individual vehicle (including a trailer) can be assessed for compliance with UK legislation by taking it for an "Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA)". This is a bit like a very detailed MOT test on that specific vehicle.

My understanding is that kit car builders in the UK would do this by:

- getting the vehicle assessed
- applying for the vin number
- getting the vin number stamped on the vehicle.
- once the vin number is stamped then for vehicles requiring a log book the dvla will issue the log book!

A similar process is used for imported vehicles that are not EU type approved. They will usually already have some sort of VIN number on them - and DVLA are likely to use the same number. If you can understand that Danish process for imports / kit cars it will probably help with the trailer process.

If its like the UK, the whole process is likely to cost quite a bit - and involve running around a lot - depending on the age and condition of the trailer it may be better/easier to sell the trailer as a "yard" trailer (not for road use) and replace it.
Old 10 August 2013, 08:16   #10

Thanks for that - my trailer is older than you mention which I guess is why it idea not have that VIN. I know it is complicated but I guess as UK and DK are both in EU there must be a way!
Old 10 August 2013, 08:24   #11

And thanks poly. I will ask about kit cars. I actually took the trailer already to an import inspection. As mentioned earlier by others it need new lights and some other small jobs for EU compliance. About 300 squid worth. As the trailer is mint I was planning to do that . Stuff is expensive in DK I guess the cheapest OK second hand Danish trailer I could get would be 1500 quid. But you may be right , it may be the only way... Think I will actually ask the bridge consulate in denmark first. Here is what DVLA wrote me for those with an interest in this topic, interesting but not quite answering my question about VINs !

------

All vehicle registration and licensing in the UK is governed in accordance with the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994. This Act only requires the United Kingdom to register mechanically propelled vehicles. As trailers are not mechanically propelled the legislation does not require trailers to be registered or for them to be issued with registration certificates. However, for use on UK roads trailers are required to display the registration number of the towing vehicle.

Article 3 of Council Directive 1999/37/EC on the registration documents for vehicles, requires Member States to issue a registration certificate for vehicles, which are subject to national legislation. Trailers are not mechanically propelled, therefore UK domestic legislation prevents DVLA from having to register, or, issue registration certificates for trailers.

However, trailers with an unladen weight of over 1,020 kgs (with power brakes) or a gross weight of more than 3,500kgs are required to be tested on the first anniversary of their use in service and are issued with a Trailer Identification Mark by the Vehicle and Operator Service Agency (VOSA) who hold the technical records.

From October 2010 new ‘type’ trailers will be required to meet the strict safety requirements of European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) before they enter in to service and by 2014 all trailers and caravans will be included in the ECWVTA requirements.

If you require any further information on the records held for trailers I can only suggest you contact the Vehicle & Operator Service Agency (VOSA).

---------
Old 10 August 2013, 08:26   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore288 View Post
I know it is complicated but I guess as UK and DK are both in EU there must be a way!
No I think this is the common misunderstanding that people have in your position (and part of the reason the rules changed). If that trailer was never intended to be sold outside the UK then no other EU country is required to recognise the reduced standards it would be built to. The UK trailer rules have been (and still are!) somewhat lax by the standards across much of europe.

EU trade rules are meant to stop countries from imposing local laws that prevent other countries from supplying goods by using a harmonised standard - but they generally don't stop a country like the UK from relaxing a standard in their local market, but that doesn't mean other EU countries have to accept imports that don't conform to the tougher EU standard.
Old 10 August 2013, 08:35   #13

Thanks Poly. I should clarify my remarks more. I recognise what you say. Danish authorities inspect vehicles on arrival and they do not have to accept them on their roads. In Denmark you have basically two weeks before foreign vehicles are required for inspection and registration (there are some extended exemptions) . My trailer has been inspected and has passed the inspection subject to some minor modifications. But, and here is my single and specific problem in this case, they won't accept the trailer without a VIN number! Damn pain. So the trailer fails the registration test not because of any non conformity of production , but solely because it does not have a VIN. It only has a serial number... (In fact my trailer design is often seen on the roads here with a different manufactures brand!!!)
Old 10 August 2013, 09:07   #14

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
If its only the VIN, i think You have hope. Authorities, especially on the lower rank, often choose the easy way and its much easier to sa No than Yes....

Similar way as You can aftermark a boat imported outside EU and get a new serial number, there is possible a way to create retroactively a VIN to a trailer. You just have to find the right person/authorities.

Is there any chance that Mersea would give You a VIN that You can stamp on? That should not be a big problem for them to do as there is already a serial on the plate they can link to their own product.
Old 10 August 2013, 10:10   #15

Thanks c-numb. That could be a plan. I guess the unique number is the serial number so if they added some other letters and numbers like the maker, year etc to make it 17 long and wrote me telling me it was that- that letter might work? I think vins are always 17 characters - at least on cars ???
Old 15 September 2013, 17:18   #16

Just to finnish this thread off in case it helps anyone importing a trailer to EU. The serial number did, on the end, get accepted as the VID but only when Ribeye who sold the trailer wrote formally saying it was the vehicle ID. After that a service of the brakes and new side lights fitted, the trailer passed its inspection . So here is the tip if you import a trailer to EU. And it's rather obvious. Find a good local trailer maker or agent in your area of import, they will sort it all out and make the modifications and get the 'mot' paper work. For a few hundred euro, if your trailer is basically ok, it is with it. On my own I was getting really stuck! The modifications are easy, the paperwork is a nightmare! Thanks to Ribeye and Mersea trailers for all their help. Great service from both.