Old 28 June 2013, 16:52   #1

Town: london
Boat name: gemna duck
Make: ceasar marine
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 petrols 225 eah
Trailers in Spain

Cant use my trailer to tow the boat in ibiza because the trailer isn't independently registered to the boat owner in the UK. They seem to require an independent registration and independent insurance for the trailer, whereas in most instances they are combined. Any ideas on how we get round this, as to register a trailer in Ibiza is a mission.
Old 28 June 2013, 17:45   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelliK2012 View Post
Cant use my trailer to tow the boat in ibiza because the trailer isn't independently registered to the boat owner in the UK. They seem to require an independent registration and independent insurance for the trailer, whereas in most instances they are combined. Any ideas on how we get round this, as to register a trailer in Ibiza is a mission.
Are you 100% sure. AFAIK if it's a British boat, towed by a British car, driven by a Brit, then you shouldn't have a problem. They have similar rules in France, i.e trailers have their own registration, mot, number plate, insurance etc. but we (Brits) are exempt.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2013, 18:15   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelliK2012 View Post
Only applies if you have a Spanish registered car, If you are using a Spanish car, buy a Spanish registered trailer, its easier in the long run.
Old 29 June 2013, 09:40   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Only applies if you have a Spanish registered car, If you are using a Spanish car, buy a Spanish registered trailer, its easier in the long run.
Correct. I tow through Spain on a regular basis with a British registered car and British trailer and have never had any problems. Just make sure you have all the documents for the car (V5, insurance, MOT), yourself (passport and both parts of licence) and boat (SSR, insurance, bill of sale and proof of VAT status). Be aware that some of the rules are different in Spain, such as the requirement to have wing mirror extensions fitted if the trailer is atall wider than the car (I got fined for this last year), a maximum width of 2.55m and a requirement for any rear overhang to be marked with a square red/white board.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote