Old 11 July 2016, 10:43   #1

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Trailering and Loading

Hi All, thanks to everyone for their assistance on towing security. Now that my big trip is getting near I am trying to figure out what can be left in the boat or trailed in the boat and what needs to go in the car. Right now the only thing in the boat is the empty spare fuel tank (will fill it and main tank at destination in Ireland), everything else has been removed. The Question is to alleviate overloading in the car and having stuff literally stuffed around the kids, I would like to put as much as I can into the boat. Clearly I cannot have anything on deck, but there is room in the hatches which can be locked shut etc. It is a 500mile drive though, including a ferry crossing and some small bumpy roads, so I dont want to damage the boat enroute. Is the general rule - take everything out - or is it OK for example to put my semi cushioned grab bag in the boat (contains flares, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, torches, mirrors, etc etc) - probably weighs around 10kg. I assume anchor and chain MUST go in the car, but what about spare oars and fishing rods etc which can fit under the deck? what about lines, fenders etc (stuff that is soft etc) - I appreciate this is all obvious stuff for most, but I dont want to do anything silly and damage the boat. Your guidance, experience and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks Jonathan
Old 11 July 2016, 11:21   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I trailer with all the boat stuff in the boat (e.g. lines, flares, fenders etc.) but haven't been on a journey where the boat is left unattended. My only concern would be stuff being stolen, unless you are really on the edge of your trailer limit. I have trailered short distances with limited dive kit in the boat, but not more than a few miles.

Phil M
Old 11 July 2016, 12:02   #3

Town: Cork Ireland
Boat name: Rambler
Make: Valiant PT
Engine: Suzuki Df 60 a
Hello Jturner
I hope you have a wonderful holiday over here in Ireland .If there is anything I can help out with dont hesitate to get in touch . Im living in Cork so if your down this way and you have any questions just give me a buzz 00353 87 7596417

Slán go feoil
Colin
Old 11 July 2016, 12:09   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
all my boat related stuff in the boat + the dogs bed and with the cover on what the eyes dont see!
Old 11 July 2016, 12:43   #5

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
I trail my boat to Spain each year, everything stays in the boat, I do move the anchor, and lines to a cupboard further back, I also try to tow with an empty fuel tank, but that is all. its as it goes on the water.

Have a great trip !!
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 14:13   #6

Town: Donegal Bay
Make: ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 200hp
hi
The fact that you are travelling with very little or no fuel should allow you to put most things on the boat and not add any more additional weight than would normally be there.
Old 11 July 2016, 17:34   #7

Thanks all, greatly appreciated. I will load all the softish stuff into the boat and keep all the hard stuff for the car, thanks for everyones input and kind wishes. This will at least save the boys having to sit with fenders on their laps! Best and thanks, Jonathan
Old 11 July 2016, 17:58   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I assume this is a rib not a sib? I tow mine with all the boat gear (including anchors in their normal place) and even some extra gear tied onto the deck. In fact I used to put bikes inside it at one point too. If you are worried about analysing hard damaging the boat put a soft layer like kids play flooring (or I think it's sold in black for garage use?) under it.
Old 11 July 2016, 18:37   #9

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I leave the anchor fire fighting equipment ect where it normally lives I also load kayaks bbq gas bottles all the camping gear tent ect fishing gear and bags/boxes food and drink all in the boat then I put a cargo net over and secure it never had a problem or caused any damage even a 9 hour tow from Teesside to clachtol the only thing that got damaged was a box of beer burst open when it rained (but all the bottles were fine)
Old 11 July 2016, 19:02   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I just leave mine as it goes in the water full of fuel etc
Old 11 July 2016, 20:08   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We will soon be setting off on our annual pilgrimage to France, the boat will be loaded with:-
180l of fuel
6 berth frame tent
Bike
Bbq
Chairs
Tables
Gas bottle
Jerry cans (empty)
+ all the boat gear, anchor, ropes, fenders, fishing rods etc.
On a "normal" trip, the boat leaves home in a ready to launch state, get all the farting about done at home instead of on the slip (you know who you are&#128527. Roll up to the slip, straps off & in. Same for the recovery, do the prep whilst you're hanging off shore waiting for the clueless numpty to reverse his trailer (he can't btw) & then bugger about on the slip sorting his gear out, perfectly oblivious that there's a queue waiting to get out😡

By 'eck! I feel better now👍

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 21:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We will soon be setting off on our annual pilgrimage to France, the boat will be loaded with:-
180l of fuel
6 berth frame tent
Bike
Bbq
Chairs
Tables
Gas bottle
Jerry cans (empty)
On a "normal" trip, the boat leaves home in a ready to launch state, get all the farting about done at home instead of on the slip (you know who you are&#128527. Roll up to the slip, straps off & in. Same for the recovery, do the prep whilst you're hanging off shore waiting for the clueless numpty to reverse his trailer (he can't btw) & then bugger about on the slip sorting his gear out, perfectly oblivious that there's a queue waiting to get out😡

Lions led by donkeys

Err Bike don't tell me I've to dig one out
Old 11 July 2016, 21:23   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Err Bike don't tell me I've to dig one out

Nah, we only take one to run down to the village.

Don't panic! don't panic!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 21:35   #14
RIBnet Supporter

How's your reversing Mick?
Old 11 July 2016, 21:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
180l of fuel
6 berth frame tent
Bike
Bbq
Chairs
Tables
Gas bottle
Jerry cans (empty)

Lions led by donkeys
My word Pikey Dave - you have everything in there. But then you have a pretty solid hull - not sure the Zodiac is built to quite the same standard. and I do need to bring a bike over but I am thinking I may leave that for another trip when I am going over without the boat. But good thinking on the tent and perhaps sleeping bags etc, if I can find a way to ensure they wont stink of fuel when they are in close to the fuel tank for the journey. I will also have a hunt around for some small thin foam mats as they will work a treat to cushion everything and as someone suggested could allow me to leave the anchor where it is. Thanks again J
Old 11 July 2016, 22:02   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
How's your reversing Mick?

Bang on at the mo 😁😁
Old 11 July 2016, 22:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
My word Pikey Dave - you have everything in there. But then you have a pretty solid hull - not sure the Zodiac is built to quite the same standard. and I do need to bring a bike over but I am thinking I may leave that for another trip when I am going over without the boat. But good thinking on the tent and perhaps sleeping bags etc, if I can find a way to ensure they wont stink of fuel when they are in close to the fuel tank for the journey. I will also have a hunt around for some small thin foam mats as they will work a treat to cushion everything and as someone suggested could allow me to leave the anchor where it is. Thanks again J

Cheap dry bags or plastic drum with a sealing lid if you can get hold of a couple
Old 11 July 2016, 22:12   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1468275150.637297.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	114351
Old 11 July 2016, 23:33   #19

Town: Scottish Borders
Boat name: Alchemy3
Make: SR4M
Engine: YAM 40
I trailer fully loaded and ready to launch.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'll also be taking the rib over to Ireland next month on the ferry. Is there anything you need to do other than booking as normal? I travel a lot on the Cairnryan-Larne route (with my car only) and last time I asked a purser about taking my rib with fuel tanks and he said to phone in advance and they would put the car&trailer outside? Although I asked the same question to security and they said absolutely no way can I carry ANY fuel tanks at all, though I'm pretty sure I asked a clueless one - they are usually very good but 1% of the time you meet a jobsworth and I think this was one of them.

Whats the general policy from those who take their ribs on ferrys? I'll probably definitely have fuel in the tanks.
Old 12 July 2016, 05:37   #20

Length: 3m +
The movement on the road and ferry will be less than on a bouncy day at sea. So if it's gear that goes on when afloat it should be fine stowed as per your boating.

Wouldn't put flares in my car. Possibly irrational as plenty boats have in cabin and don't hear of many spontaneously combusting.