Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Trailer Towing Lessons / Test

can anyone recommend a good driving school to take my trailer towing test?

anyone done the test? im i going to need to drive with hands at 10 to 2 and not feed the steering wheel or is it not like that???

thanks
Old 24 October 2010, 16:03   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
can anyone recommend a good driving school to take my trailer towing test?

anyone done the test? im i going to need to drive with hands at 10 to 2 and not feed the steering wheel or is it not like that???

thanks
Mate, if it's just to move your boat around to get the bits done on it you want I am more than happy to tow it for you, no probs just shout!
Old 24 October 2010, 16:42   #3

Town: Torrance
When my ex looked at doing in a couple of years ago so she could tow the horse box she was told her actual driving had to be of the same standard as to pass the car test as well as passing the trailer towing bit.

Shame she never took it 'cos she was sh1t hot at reversing it!

SDG
Old 24 October 2010, 18:17   #4

Town: Staffordshire
Boat name: Pacific 9134
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
MMSI: 232043887
BOBS Trailer Training

Hi, I did mine with this guy last year:-

http://www.trailer-training-services.co.uk/

Intensive course starting 8am doing reversing, hooking up etc on an empty carpark first, followed by another couple of hours on the road, all in Bobs vehicle and with his trailer. The Test was arranged for tha afternoon - 20 minutes manouvering and then nearly an hour on the road.
Pleased to say I passed.:
Old 24 October 2010, 18:42   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
This must be one of the few benifits of being an old bugger and having taken my test before this came into force.

Nasher.
Old 24 October 2010, 19:27   #6

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Did mine last year so I could tow the larger boats/trailers.

As said above, really good course, had a day's training, then a bit before the test the next day.

Thankfully, I found the reversing bit the easy bit (as Ive maneovered trailers for years), just found the 'test standard' driving the hardest to get back into - damn bad habits

Test is basically:

At test station:
15 min (or so) reversing exercise - basically big rectangle - start in bottom right, unhitch, pull forward, reverse & rehitch, then pull forward into top right corder, then reverse trailer to bottom left corner (pretend garage) without crossing the lines marking the outside of the box - must stop rear of trailer within a 6 inch variance (i.e. wall) and be straight in 'garage' - you can have two shunts (pull forwards) during the exercise and you can only get out once to see how close you are to the 6 inch variance
Emergency stop at test station

On the road:
30-40 min driving punctuated by a couple of 'please pull in at the earliest opportunity' and a hill start.

Just remember to check the cyclist you passed is still alive after you have passed him - I kept on forgetting
Old 05 November 2010, 17:55   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
This must be one of the few benifits of being an old bugger and having taken my test before this came into force.

Nasher.
I'll agree with that .
Old 05 November 2010, 18:36   #8

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Mate, if it's just to move your boat around to get the bits done on it you want I am more than happy to tow it for you, no probs just shout!
old git
Old 05 November 2010, 20:40   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
old git
You are not funny, I would point out you too have a trailer licence!! OLD GIT
Old 22 February 2011, 18:12   #10
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
I have now passed my B and E with K & W Training, Essex. Did the test today in Ipswich, they have changed the test now since last summer. You no longer do an emergency breaking at 20 mph, instead you do an "independant drive" for 5 minutes or so.
Old 23 February 2011, 10:27   #11

Town: canterbury
Boat name: TT dougal
Make: valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
before panicing about the towing test please read about it and research lots before doing the towing test as most of us youngsters get caught in the trap.

basically without the towing test we are restricted to towing a max of i think 650kgs un braked or max gross weight of 3500kgs braked.
the confusion is that we cannot tow more than the car hand book states or more than the car weight, which ever is less

i.e my car is 1250 kgs which should leave me to be able to tow 2250kgs but because my car is only capable of 1250kgs my max gross is 2500kgs

or if your lucky enough to drive a 4x4 of some kind that for example weighs in at a possible 2800kgs then you can only tow 700kgs = total 3500kgs,,

this is where the towing test come in because like a 4x4 that weighs 2800kgs its hand book might rate the towing weight to 25000kgs. which would obviously put u above the 3500kgs max gross limit at 5300 kgs this is where your towing test comes in and is required...

this is why carefull research, car choices and dare i say it boat choice could keep you well within the law. the only one thing i would say is dont just take my word for it the info is on the dvla web site and they will give you all needed info on the phone and my local towing centers have flyers about it all be it a bit missleading..

regards
dougal
Old 23 February 2011, 11:04   #12

Length: 7m +
Im worried now, I didn't know there was a test, does that mean that ive been towing my boat ilegally ? Im confused. When I bought my 7.5M Cobra I towed it through the new forest and through Burley...that was quite a test avoiding tourists, horses, donkeys, even pigs !
Old 23 February 2011, 11:30   #13
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
@dougal_22 - there are a lot of people with this view on websites when talking about towing.

The reason I did the test was because I am towing 6 Laser Picos on one trailer. Each boat weighs 60Kg (hull weight only) without taking the trolleys and other parts into account. The trailer it sits on is a rib base with a frame work, etc etc.

So without going into it, the reason I did the test was so the 4x4 I am towing with has the man power to pull it up a hill.

I see what people say about oh, just buy a car that can tow it bla bla but for £500 I can now tow a large trailer/caravan/boat whenever I like till I need to renew my license in 45 years time.

I know from the school I did mine with, yes people do not know, and the only reason some are doing the test is because the Police are checking everynow and again. (18 year old friend keeps getting stopped by the police towing a 49er dinghy, hull weight 80kg, length - 16ft)
Old 23 February 2011, 11:35   #14

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Im worried now, I didn't know there was a test, does that mean that ive been towing my boat ilegally ? Im confused. When I bought my 7.5M Cobra I towed it through the new forest and through Burley...that was quite a test avoiding tourists, horses, donkeys, even pigs !
All depends on your licence, when you passed your test and how much your trailer weighs.

See this from the DVLA site, its what i had to go on.

A "B" licence allows for a driver to use a car up to 3500 KG's.
It also allows a trailer to be towed up to a max 750 KG's.
Therefore this has a combined weight of 4250 KG's and is allowed.

If your car weighs (unladen) 2500 KG's. You can tow a trailer of 1000 KG's on your "B" Licence as the total weight = 3500 Kg's.

Or if you car weighs 1500 KG's, you can tow a trailer of 1450 KG's. Giving a total weight of 2950 KG's.

It think this bit is probably what will refer to your set up.

If your trailer is over 750 KG's then you can tow it on your "B" licence provided your the trailer does not weigh more than the unladen car weight (the weight in your car manual) and does NOT go over 3500 Kg's combined trailer and car together.

DVLA LINK =

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...es/DG_10013073

Hope it helps

Cheers, Matt.
Old 23 February 2011, 12:34   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Forgive me Mark but I 'think' you may be 'mature' enough to not need a test .....assuming you passed your test before 1st Jan 1997 ......dont think the boat + trailer + car are over 8.25 tonnes ?

From : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...les/DG_4022564

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM
Old 23 February 2011, 13:03   #16

Town: canterbury
Boat name: TT dougal
Make: valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
dvla informed me on the phone on 2 seperate phone calls what i said was correct and it was only meant as a guide only.

max gross of 3.5t trailer not exceeding what its being towed with. i had a shetland 535 with a 50hp 2 stroke weighed on a wey bridge at just under 680kgs