Old 08 October 2019, 20:31   #1

Length: 6m +
Trailer Test

Booked in for a couple of weeks do I can tow with thee Ranger. Any tips?

Doing a session with an instructor first obvs.
Old 08 October 2019, 22:23   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
I did that a year ago, it’s very worthwhile and you should be fine - mainly hing for me was trying to remember good practice given my first test was years ago. I did the one day course with test after which worked well. Just take your time is my advice and relax.
Old 09 October 2019, 13:16   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise, think I had a couple of hour long lessons before the B+E test just to make sure the trailer bit was okay, and I knew the exact process they were looking for with hitching/unhitching, format of the test, etc.

Assuming you are happy with the "reversing a trailer into a bay manoeuvre" you will be asked to demonstrate (if you have a lesson your instructor I'm sure will get you to practice that exact task), the rest is just really just general driving with the trailer behind you, and trying to remember all the good stuff from your original driving test!
Old 09 October 2019, 13:40   #4

Thanks guys. Think I'll be ok with reversing. Manoeuvring a 7m RIB around slipways, carparks, country roads and my driveway has been good practice! Guess I'm more worried about driving bad habits. Is it hands at 10 to 2 and no crossing or are things more focused on awareness and mirrors etc. I have been trying to drive "properly" for a few days and it's tough!
Old 09 October 2019, 14:36   #5

I found it a lot more relaxed than my original test back in 2002, in general they were just after safe driving, good use of mirrors, appropriate distances, etc., and not as worried by 10-2, and fairly specific things like that which I recall.

Although saying that, my wife only took her standard B test 18 months ago, and even that seemed more relaxed than I remember!
Old 11 October 2019, 07:26   #6

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Mine was like driving test again, all the same things can be a major, I had one minor with my B&E. I would agree that the driving test part is the most challenging but the couple of hours practice driving before hand will help remind you. The manoeuvre required is reversing around a cone and into a bay needing to get the trailer within a certain distance of a barrier (c0.5m from memory) without touching it, you get one opportunity to reposition I think. Then it’s just running through the checks needed before towing, they will ask you a couple of questions then hitching and unhitching. I used a Van from the company running the course that had a reversing camera which helped line the tow ball. Otherwise with reversing they have it set up so they can advise when to turn full lock etc. With the practice before hand you will be fine [emoji106]
Old 21 October 2019, 20:12   #7

Sat test today and passed with 3 minors. Did an hour lesson last week where I did a couple of reverses and 40 minutes driving. 4 hours of lessons this morning then the test.

Found the early lesson was great for getting used to driving a manual again and getting told all my faults soni could practice driving "properly" for a few days.

Examiner was more relaxed than my car test and at one point I found myself in the wrong lane at a roundabout. I just said I'm in the wrong lane so going to turn left and it was fine.

Rest of drive was all good. But...

- I did the worst reverse ever. Short trailer after a 7m boat trailer isn't so easy plus had practised on a slope so didn't need throttle/clutch during practice. Had to take an early shunt which put me under pressure and I ended up very close to kerb in the bay.

- I unhitched then forgot his instruction to reverse next to the trailer (can only blame the adrenaline) but he just laughed at me and reminded me.

- trailer check reality is much simpler than the YouTube videos!

So all's well that ends well and can tow with the new truck...
Old 21 October 2019, 21:25   #8

Excellent news, well done - enjoy the towing!