Old 12 June 2014, 12:08   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
Trailer servicing/legal advice

My trailer was recently serviced (13th Feb) which included, new hubs and bearings, however just under 16 weeks after service the nearside wheel came off on main road. Was very fortunate as no one was injured, car and boat not damaged also covered by AA to get the boat home, but the resulting damage is in excess of £500 including new axle. Dismantled and inspected offside (which didn’t fail) and there appears to be evidence of old grease mixed with small amount of new, also the inner bearing (left in picture) is different in appearance to the outer which suggests to me that they are not paired. The nearside (which unsurprisingly failed) was completely dry, Have been exchanging emails with Managing Director of the company responsible for the service who has advised Quote :-

As itemised on the invoice, the complete hub assemblies with new bearings on both sides were replaced

I can only assure you that the 2 complete hub assemblies were replaced and that they were properly packed with suitable grease and re-assembled’

Then questioning

Is there a possibility that the Trailer had been towed at a speeds in excess of the legal 60mph, or that it had come into contact with something to damage the bearing assembly?’

Summing up with

having considered all the information supplied, I think it is unlikely that the bearing or fitting were at fault. I think it is likely that it is a consequence of the environment that the Trailer is used’

I have asked two specific questions,

can you explain why the offside bearing assembly is still full of old grease, with only traces of new?

can you explain why the condition of the two bearing assemblies is not consistent?’

but to date not had response to either. Any opinions or advice what I should do next?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010246.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	95514   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010248.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	95515   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010255.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	95516   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010266.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	95517  
Old 12 June 2014, 12:14   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Inner bearing has an integral seal. Outer one won't. That's why they are different.

Outer one looks rusty. Could water have got into the outer part of the bearing through the dust cap vent? A bit of rust mixed in with the grease changing the colour perhaps?

Do you have bearing savers?

What actually failed? You say "the wheel fell off".
Old 12 June 2014, 12:35   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Did you pay by credit card ?

I think this allows you to make claim for th emoney back on the basis it was not up to standard.

Its very very very hard to say for sure whats caused a failing - however even with some proper abuse i'd expect bearing on an unbraked hub to last 8-12 months ( and by serious abuse I mean towing very very fast with little grease etc - and even then they'd sound like a grinder before they failed) .

What failed ( the outer bearing ? ) , hoe many uses / miles had you done with it ?

Potentially the other option is to ask for the companies liability insurance info ...

or option three - buy new hubs and bearings and DIY it ....very easy on unbraked hubs ...and put it down to being lucky there wasn't more damage etc and never ever ever go back. I'm surporised you need a new axle - they are usally failt bomb proof - unless the threads are shot as a result of the wheel /bearing etc coming loose ?
Old 12 June 2014, 12:50   #4

The outer bearing must have failed, have to have new axle as stub axle is absolutely shot from being dragged down the road at 50+ and it's intergral to main axle. done approx 780 miles since service and launched 5 times ie dunked 10 times.

I didn't actually pay, invoice is in previous owners name but he is totally genuine and just as annoyed as me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010259.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	95518  
Old 12 June 2014, 12:58   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
AHHHH - I can see the problem now !

If it was the prevous owner I think then technically you are what is know as screwed...
Old 12 June 2014, 14:26   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
the bearing that failed would be dry from the heat which would have melted it out
I have seen bearings fail in very short times but yours is extreme possible cause would be towing at high speed then dunking while hot which causes water to be sucked in then on yoir return journey the grease is expelled by the increasing pressure due to the heat leaving an emulsifued soup in the bearings which causes corrosion while standing at home
what tow car do you use? most vehicles you can hear the bearings rumbling through the car but I noticed recently when the bearings in my trailer were getting worn that when hung on my merc ml I could clearly hear they were shot but later when hung on our hilux double cab I couldn't hear them
trailer bearings never last long but we found the best way of preserving them was a few shots of grease from a grease gun after every outing
sorry I cant be more positive but its part of the learning curve of boating im afraid
Old 12 June 2014, 14:42   #7

RIBase
Do you have the wheel and the hub that "escaped". There may be some better information there.
Old 12 June 2014, 18:57   #8

Had bearing fail about fifteen years ago and learnt from that mistake, Only ever tow (with Astra) at 65 max, never dunk when hot, never leave standing for more than three week as I'm told that's when water grease separates sufficiently enough to start corrosion process, strip and inspect/clean hub assemblies at the end of EVERY season, never rely on grease nipples always cap off if I need to check grease, what more can I do? ... My only mistake this time was to trust others! Never again will I trust anyone to service trailer for me 😡 or tow anyone else's trailer without inspect bearings myself

The comment about grease burning off due to running hot makes sense to me and would be consistent with my theory, hubs were shiny following service and I suspect the service consisted of hub off quick smear of grease, outer bearing replaced hub replaced which is not what was invoiced for, if you look closely at the pictures of side which didn't fail there is clearly signs of new grease mixed with old, the side which failed so insufficient grease which burnt off??

After searching for 3 hours plus found the wheel opposite side of the road about 5m away from verge in deep undergrowth, hoped it would give me even more evidence of negligence but the cap had come off and bearing gone
Old 12 June 2014, 19:11   #9

Just inspected wheel/hub which did fail again, more evidence my theory is correct, completely dry but clear evidence of burnt on grease on the outer side only ..... thanks Beamishken👍
Old 12 June 2014, 19:46   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
YOU have no contract with the trailer company (only the previous owner) so little recourse with them.

Even if they had a liability to you I suspect it might be limited because you've driven on it to the point of failure - when its likely a defect would have been apparent if you checked sooner. I check trailer bearings whenever I stop to see if they are getting warm/hot, precisely because they are known to be problematic.
Old 12 June 2014, 19:50   #11

Very good advise Poly, know I very unlikely to get anywhere but won't stop me trying ... yep will be regularly checking for heat in the future!
Old 12 June 2014, 19:54   #12

RIBase
Could the nut have come off - ie split pin not fitted?
Old 12 June 2014, 19:55   #13

No if you look at picture closely nut/split pin still there
Old 12 June 2014, 21:32   #14

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
I am very paranoid about having a berating fail on the road, so always check for heat on a long haul when pop arises, never dunk when hot, always pump in grease after boat recovered befor journey home, and again befor next trip, every two trips strip clean out inner/outer burns and repackage may be ott but been ok shofar and only takes 20 mans to do, also carry spare set of burns with me in case of probs
Old 12 June 2014, 21:56   #15

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
I'm not convinced any of those bearings are new and if they were, the hub should have been in a much better condition following a service or at least you should have been advised of their poor condition before the works were completed.
Old 12 June 2014, 22:00   #16

Invoiced for hubs and bearings replaced RIB-teccie that's why I am so bitter!
Old 13 June 2014, 15:33   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
Invoiced for hubs and bearings replaced RIB-teccie that's why I am so bitter!
As Poly/others have said, you're bolloxed Put it down as school fees, no-one was hurt, boat & car survived, move on. Life's too short to be bitter about something so insignificant in the big scheme.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2014, 16:18   #18

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
As Poly/others have said, you're bolloxed Put it down as school fees, no-one was hurt, boat & car survived, move on. Life's too short to be bitter about something so insignificant in the big scheme.
+1 at least when you've fitted the new axle you will know what you've got to work with and can keep it in good condition
Old 14 June 2014, 13:35   #19

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I had a bearing failure, my own fault for trusting the bloke I bought the trailer from, I replaced all the bearings and brakes myself then used the trailer for the rest of the season, within six months of replacing them I sold the boat.

I told my buyer that what I had done and gave him the receipt for the parts, I said it was his responsibility to make sure the wheels were ok because you never know, that evening I got a call as he'd had a bearing fail on the way home. I helped him replace them all the following weekend and the all looked like yours, knackered and I knew they were six months old.

Probably doesn't help, but you never know, your trailer guy might have told you the truth, bearings rot and seize very quickly once dipped in salt water.
Old 14 June 2014, 18:20   #20

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Very true I change my own and grease frequently never had an issue in years, then had a failure in March out of the blue and I know they were changed 8 months before and dipped in the salty stuff half a dozen times max. As pikey Dave says sh1t happens

Sent from my iPad using my finger