Old 02 January 2005, 11:46   #1

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
Trailer pics, any ideas please?

afternoon, last took the rib about a month ago -
when visiting her in the garage hoping to get her out and do some serious much needed work I'm too bloody scared to move it now -

I remember in the dark having real trouble getting it on straight and on the rollers on the trailer tried about 5 times on off, - something seems to have gone wrong with one of the side roller bunk things, it has bent forward twisting the whole off side beam, and sort of torn the metal the photos explain it much better, Im not sure if i'll be able to rescue this one what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0014 (Custom).JPG
Views:	329
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	9854   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013 (Custom).JPG
Views:	329
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	9855   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0012 (Custom).JPG
Views:	296
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	9856   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0010 (Custom).JPG
Views:	288
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	9857   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011 (Custom).JPG
Views:	249
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	9858  

Old 02 January 2005, 12:05   #2

Town: STOCKPORT
Boat name: Smurf (blame the wife)
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 85
trailer

Hi
do you just use the trailer for launch recovery or do you tow

if you tow you would possably be better looking for another trailer
the type you have there reminds me of a second hand one i bought 15 years ago which was on its way out when i bought it

if its just for launch recovery it looks like you could replace the channel section that has corroded/twisted the thing is it may be just as easy and cheaper thats if you include time to just replace the complete trailer
Barry
Old 02 January 2005, 12:18   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I too think that trailer is past it's best, and that you should look at replacing it.

You could probably pick up something second hand for £300 or so....
Old 02 January 2005, 12:26   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
...or even less than that if you look carefully! I think my old unbraked trailer cost me £450 new from Indespension in 2001.

You could try modifying something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...515871393&rd=1
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2005, 12:29   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I think everyone here will agree with me when I say that trailer is dead. You could get an engineering firm to repair it but they will probably find that they cannot get a decent weld anywhere and will end up making a new one. In which case you just as well buy a new one anyway. Indespension will be able to help you there or if you fancy building your own (which I did for my 3.5M searider) then www.towsure.co.uk can supply all the bits required inc chassis, rollers, winch ,wheels etc. In the meantime to get the boat off the trailer you can make up some timber supports, such as they use in boatyards but on a smaller scale and then hire a 1/2 ton engine hoist from HSS or hirestation (your boat probably weighs no more than 250kg and your engine is the same as mine at 120kg). This will enable you lift the boat off the trailer enough to manhandle it out and slide under the supports. This then leaves the trailer free of the boat and ready for detailed diagnosis or the skip I suspect. Unless of course you have access to forktruck and the space to get it to where the boat is. One thing I don't recommend is towing that anywhere. You Could always remove the engine (two man job) then get a whole load of mates round to lift the boat off by hand.
hope this helps
Jiz
Old 02 January 2005, 16:43   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Olly, give Rogue Wave a ring or PM, he knows the location of a small galvanised chassis going very cheap. Needs new stub axles but they are cheap enough from Towsure. Your rib would fit well on it. Don't worry about the onwers permission I know he won't object, but you might have to pay a small parking fee to get it.

Pete
Old 02 January 2005, 17:53   #7

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
If you find after all this you want a new one i have found admiral trailers to be priced very well and a good company to deal with
Old 02 January 2005, 20:54   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Olly

Sorry to see the sad state your trailers in, it looks like its going to be scrap.
Even if you can get that side fixed you don't know what state the rest of its in.
Seeing as you don't need brakes it should be quite easy to pick up a trailer that may just need new hubs and bearings for a couple of hundred quid.

You won't want to go far with the old trailer so just roll it off onto the grass or some old carpet on your drive, then winch it up on the new trailer.
I used to take my old Flatacraft on and off all the time so I could use the trailer for other things.

At least you found it in the Garage rather than when it broke in two on the road, and it happened now rather than at the begining of the summer.

If you want some help, or need some brakets etc welded to the new trailer give me a shout.

Nasher.
Old 03 January 2005, 10:58   #9

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Yep, thats a gonner.
I am currently designing a new trailler and have cracked the brake and bearing problem. Build a combination trailler, just like the sailing dinghys use. A launch trailler that is unbraked and low slung so it doesnt need to go deep before the boat will float off, and a road going, braked, "A" frame with a pair of ramps, similar to a car trailler.
I built an unbraked one for my previous boat, and was still on the same wheel bearings 8 years later! Heres a picture of itbefore I sold it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1311reduced.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	9864  
Old 03 January 2005, 11:18   #10

thank you for all your replies, bit gutted about the whole thing really nevermind - its got recent wheels and new bearings, new hitch, and winch and strap - nevermind, I'll sort something! - thanks all again
Old 03 January 2005, 16:11   #11

Olly

Looks like you're looking for a trailer that has been abused but has a strong frame for you to swap your good bits on to.

Nasher
Old 03 January 2005, 19:32   #12
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
thank you for all your replies, bit gutted about the whole thing really nevermind - its got recent wheels and new bearings, new hitch, and winch and strap - nevermind, I'll sort something! - thanks all again
Olly, you've spent so much time restoring the boat up to it's present condition, you would'nt want a shoddy trailer letting the package down. There will always be a market for seariders so your likely to get any money you spend on it back when you sell it for a 5.4 searider project.

My trailers fine but my winch and wheels are past it it so if you do buy a new trailer, I would buy the old bits off you. PM me if your interested.

Alex
Old 05 January 2005, 11:58   #13

Length: no boat
Olly, if you need any help - getting boat on off etc - just give me a shout (PM). If needed we (kathy and I) could put ours in the water for a bit and you could use/borrow our trailer, just a thought!
Old 05 January 2005, 20:07   #14

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Olly

Sorry to se the state of the trailer.

Regarding getting the boat off the trailer......I recently took my boat off the trailer. rather than hiring gear I bought a bottle jack, Starting at the stern i jacked the boat up and proped it under the keel with some blocks of wood , Proped it at spray rails with some 5 x 5 timbers standing vertically. i then attatched the winch strap to a fixed object forward and winched the trailer out from under the boat adding props and uprights every metre. I also moved the jack in stages. whole process did not take long and i have held onto all the blocks and uprights for future. Getting trailer back under boat was simple winching job. all easily done by one person and you will have the jack for the future. Remember to screw two pieces of timber between the uprights to prevent them slipping out. ( One only will allow the uprights to scissors if there is any movement)

Best of luck
Old 05 January 2005, 20:24   #15

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Don't forget to bring along the photos to the Solent gathering Monday night for some groupthink Olly

Us
Old 05 January 2005, 20:54   #16

thanks guys, some usefull plugs and generous offers of help - much appreciated - I shall be buying the beer for all concerned

uh oh ive stiched myself here now havent i!?

I've just bunged the Suzuki jeep in for her MOT today, needs welding and brake pads/cylinders+shoes, at least 300 quids worth of work - talk about bad month eh + its about to kill my social life this month.... but if i dont get it done no ribbing for me cant complain its a fine 18year old towing machine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	j (Custom).JPG
Views:	245
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	9922   Click image for larger version

Name:	j2 (Custom).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	9923  
Old 05 January 2005, 21:40   #17

Olly

Pads, Cylinders and Shoes are easy to fix, how much welding is required, and when does the MOT run out?

If you have the bits, my workshop is well lit and dry so we could put them in one evening when its cold and wet outside.

If there isn't much welding to be done and its easy to get at I may even be able to do that for you.
Depends on how soon you need it done.

Nasher.
Old 05 January 2005, 21:48   #18

thanks nasher that is a very kind offer, the MOT runs out tomorrow and but shes already in bits having the work done already- really appreciate the offer tho mate
Old 05 January 2005, 21:56   #19

Shame, I'm sure we could have sorted it on the cheap.

Hopefully see you Monday Evening, I'll buy you a pint to drown your sorrows.

Nasher
Old 05 January 2005, 22:51   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
it's easy to get your boat off the trailer in fact Jasper and I have lifted/manhandled a 4.7 off a broken trailer. So if you need a hand to do it I am often in Kendalls yard at least once a week and can help you get it off it will only take about 5 minutes and the boat will be unscathed. ( I do it all the time we manage 5 boats and have three trailers spread across two yards three trailers ) EZ Going seems to have turned it into an art form and you wont go wrong if you follow his instructions

weprobably could find a spare trailer and I certainly could lend you one for a couple of weeks if needed.

One of my new years resolutions was to remove some clutter from my life so far I am doing well as I am starting to tidy the yard. One of my Big problems is I keep things in case they come in handy including a lot of trailer parts which I need to get rid of I have got enough to make most of a trailer up using your axles . If youwant to come over Sunday you and have a root you'd be more than welcome. They will be skipped soon after that though
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote