Old 28 October 2009, 22:34   #1

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Trailer parts shop ?

Apologies if this is another really dumb question, but I can't find anything on search and there seem to be quite a few of you guys from this part of the world so thought I'd ask.

My plan for Saturday is to attempt to take all the rusty / knackered looking bits off my trailer, take them into an appropriate shop and ask for replacements. Unfortunately I don't enough about what anything is called, what size it is etc to be able to order bits online, which I know would be the cheaper option.

So, I've found a couple of possibles, but does anyone have any reccommendations for trailer parts suppliers in the Bristol / Bath / Gloucester area ? Is Honeyfield likely to be any use or are they really expensive ?

It's an unbraked Snipe trailer which I think someone told me are very similar to Indespension... is this true, nonsense or are all axles & things similar enough that it doesn't matter ?

Thanks very much for your help
Old 28 October 2009, 22:39   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I don't know how old your trailer is, but a lot of older Snipe trailers had unique fittings, ie not interchangeable with other manufacturers' stuff. If you post a few photos of what you need, I'm sure we'll be able to identify the parts and point you in the direction of a suitable supplier, local or online.

When I lived down that neck of the woods a few years ago, I recall the Valiant dealer on the A38, just North of Thornbury used to manufacture trailers - may be worth a try?
Old 28 October 2009, 22:45   #3

Quote:

When I lived down that neck of the woods a few years ago, I recall the Valiant dealer on the A38, just North of Thornbury used to manufacture trailers - may be worth a try?
Yep he's certainly the closest and a last resort, as I often get the feeling I could have found things cheaper by looking slightly further afield !

I'll get the camera out then...
Old 28 October 2009, 22:48   #4

Ah, ok - I'd only driven past and seen a stack of boat trailer frames there. Didn't realise he was a touch hot on his prices. Maybe that explains why the same stack of frames was there 6 months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post

I'll get the camera out then...
Yes, please do.
Old 29 October 2009, 05:37   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
http://rphleisure.co.uk/ are a good price comparison and they do do the mail order
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 10:09   #6

Town: Bristol
www.western-towing.co.uk

but a little too far down, Exeter way but do a next day delivery service.

Samspeed Marine is the guy on the A38.

Also:
http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/
http://www.trailerspareparts.co.uk/shop/

Although I have an indespension trailer their pricing makes me avoid their service parts.

Whereabouts are you.

Orve.
Old 29 October 2009, 23:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
Samspeed Marine is the guy on the A38.

Also:
http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/
http://www.trailerspareparts.co.uk/shop/

Although I have an indespension trailer their pricing makes me avoid their service parts.

Whereabouts are you.

Orve.
Thanks - I'm very near there but wondered if there are more generic (ie cheaper) places to try than boat shops, there may not be. Apparently there's a trailer service centre in Thornbury, but the address on the website appears to be a private house. Bit odd but have e-mailed them anyway.
Old 30 October 2009, 10:36   #8

Old 30 October 2009, 10:46   #9
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I had trouble getting bits for a snipe brake back trailer. I ended up having to buy straight from the company.
But if it's U brackets and bolts your after then you should have no problem.
Old 30 October 2009, 18:15   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Whilst on the subject just bought of this bloke on Ebay

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Fit-yo...bars-Towequipe

Fantastic service and prices - look at his feedback - over 54,000 and 100% - that takes some doing!!!
Old 30 October 2009, 18:27   #11
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

Fantastic service and prices - look at his feedback - over 54,000 and 100% - that takes some doing!!!
I've bought a towbar from them and they go out of their way to help.
Old 30 October 2009, 19:42   #12

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Samspeed is not the place to go. They are a complete waste of time IMO. Martin Sams is a miserable old buger as well.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2009, 19:46   #13

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

It's actually a company - Towequipe - in Nuneaton. I ordered some stuff off them earlier today, was emailed they were in the post an hour later and as our postie isn't on strike I'll bet they're here in the morning I've always had great service from them, either over the net or at their servicce counter
Old 30 October 2009, 20:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Samspeed is not the place to go. They are a complete waste of time IMO. Martin Sams is a miserable old buger as well.
Somewhat a sweeping statement i would have thought.

I have used them quite a lot and although it may have been difficult to get accurate timescales at times and the pricing is sometimes heartstopping I would stop short of "complete waste of time". The engineer there, Richard I think, has been quite helpful to me with problems I have had with my outboard. The fact that they have a dyno and can put a larger motor underload for fault analysis and tuning is quite helpful.

So, where in the close vicinity would you suggest going instead?

Orve.
Old 30 October 2009, 22:01   #15

Oh no, please don't get into an argument. I've heard similar advice to Chris' before however in my limited experience they are very helpful and as mentioned very local. I'm keen to keep my options open though as I have a lot of respect for the aforementioned previous advisors.

Sorry no pictures yet - it's been too cold & dark this week to go out and play with a camera !
Old 30 October 2009, 22:07   #16

Not an argument, don't worry.
Martyn is certainly an 'interesting character'.

I would however be genuinely interested in other options as I'll be looking for an outboard service very soon!

Orve.
Old 31 October 2009, 20:03   #17

OK.. update with photos... although they aren't very exciting, I must try to find some better ones.

All the trailer shops close at 12, so haven't tried Honeyfield or Bristol Trailers. I did get up early, but I had to take the bits off and then get to Saltford cos I thought they'd close first, but I was wrong.

Bristol Boats were really helpful, they are the place that I've kayaked past before . And they are open til 4pm on a Saturday which is quite dedicated. They didn't actually have any of the odd bits I went there for, but knew exactly what they were and could have ordered them (may still order through them). Got very excited as I thought they had the prop I'm looking for, but unfortunately he said it was a second hand bodged repair and he couldn't sell it.

I did get a bearing kit from them for 25 quid, and some foggy stuff that I need to finish reading up on how to use.

Orve, they do servicing but I forgot to check whether for all manufacturers, sorry. Have to confess I did try Samspeed today but they didn't have the bits I wanted either ! Found out both shops would've charged around 18 quid for an impellor, I was expecting more of a difference.

Right - back to the point - the main thing I need to get is stub axles - sorry I was told what they were called but had forgotten. There's some pictures attached. Apparently they are part of some odd suspension system that only Snipe ever used so they aren't made any more and it's impossible to get them. I'm hoping someone's about to tell me that's complete nonsense and you know exactly where to get them. If not, they look like the kind of thing that could be made by someone with the right kind of equipment... maybe... if I know anyone like that.

I can't get them off at the moment either as there are 3 bolts each side which are as rusty as anything and don't seem to want to conform to any particular size - I think they may once have been M10 but have had so many bits rust and fall off that they are about 15.5mm with lumps. I don't have a 15.5mm spanner let alone one with lumps. Someone suggested an angle grinder so may have to investigate that option, although I'm not sure I want to commit to that if I'm not sure if they can be replaced.

The other thing I need is square U-bolts, which I'm not sure how I've managed to buy the wrong size twice . If the ever-so-slightly-too-small ones really can't be persuaded to fit I'm sure I can measure them and buy online.

I've been advised to move the suspension back, as there's currently no weight on the nose, which is why I need to replace these. I've got the old ones off, and nearly succeeded in moving it, but the boat + top half of trailer started trying to fall off sideways so thought I'd best wait til I've got some help to finish that.

Another weekend of fun....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stub axle 1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	47283   Click image for larger version

Name:	stub axle 2.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	47284  
Old 31 October 2009, 22:24   #18

nasty stubbers what size is the channel that they fitted inside please

try these for u bolts

http://www.gulfstreamshop.com/Models...1&ModelID=2740

how close are you to Stroud?
Old 31 October 2009, 22:42   #19

Thanks - u bolts shouldn't be too much of a problem, it's just my measuring (or getting carried away & buying stuff before measuring it)

These might work: http://www.merseatrailers.com/produc...code=33%23Hubs and Bearings%239&quick_link=yes&show_menu=9&prod_code= AXLE-STUB 1INCHBEARING 10&product=AXLE-STUB 1INCHBEARING 10

but again with the measuring, and I'll check that channel thing too.

Not too far from Stroud, why ?
Old 31 October 2009, 23:47   #20

link didn't work for me

I have a set of new 750 kg axles and bearings in storage near stroud, that's why I was askking your location.

I don't much like the look of your axles and the way they mount. which is why I was asking the size of the channell as I think you might be better putting a slightly different solution

can you post a shot of the rear of the trailer please