Old 06 July 2019, 16:44   #61
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
If it’s slime that’s causing the problem, can’t you whinge about it enough to get it jet washed. Especially if someone’s car has been wrecked!
Old 06 July 2019, 18:25   #62

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Had some great responses to this post ,but never quite got anything done ,however today i recovered a landrover defender from the bottom of the slipway ,was in half way up the windscreen ,so know i need to do something as when the tide is low its lethal , my favoured option is al-ko braked hand winch mounted on trailer (poss winch post round wrong way ) will need some props on back corners of trailer i think . would have hoped to get a photo however the guy was so peed off i did,nt wish to add to his humiliation

If you’re going down the hand winch route, why not use a snatch block & use the existing trailer winch?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2019, 10:01   #63

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If you’re going down the hand winch route, why not use a snatch block & use the existing trailer winch?
Yes thanks PD ,had to google snatch block,but my problem is you can never be unnattached ,boat to trailer or trailer to car when your on the (slippery) slope , i never go in more than the trailer tyre wall so boat has to be winched into the water ,and also it saves getting down so far that your on the slime except 1 hour each side of low water , i was given an alko braked winch a while ago and was so impressed when i saw another brand new one going cheap on fleabay i snapped it up (one of those classic british attitudes that if it looks a little unfamiliar it must be crap ,think your vancleas fit them as standard
so i have a winch and post to go on facing forward ,two jockey wheels or stays on swivel mounts on the rear of trailer ,just waiting for some u bolts to be delivered and should be fit to go later in the week . thanks for input (the stays on the back are yours )
Old 08 July 2019, 12:37   #64

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Yes thanks PD ,had to google snatch block,but my problem is you can never be unnattached ,boat to trailer or trailer to car when your on the (slippery) slope , i never go in more than the trailer tyre wall so boat has to be winched into the water ,and also it saves getting down so far that your on the slime except 1 hour each side of low water , i was given an alko braked winch a while ago and was so impressed when i saw another brand new one going cheap on fleabay i snapped it up (one of those classic british attitudes that if it looks a little unfamiliar it must be crap ,think your vancleas fit them as standard

so i have a winch and post to go on facing forward ,two jockey wheels or stays on swivel mounts on the rear of trailer ,just waiting for some u bolts to be delivered and should be fit to go later in the week . thanks for input (the stays on the back are yours )

I think something might have got lost in translation [emoji848] this is how I understand your problem, I may have got it wrong.

You want to lower the trailer/boat down the slip on a winch.

Launch the boat

Recover the trailer up the slip on the winch

Attach to vehicle

Recovery is a reverse operation

If so, then all you need is a safety chain/strap on the trailer to secure the boat (you should have one of these anyway & not be relying on the winch)

So:-

Attach (existing) winch to vehicle using snatch block & take weight.

Un-hitch

Lower trailer down slip to water

Unclip safety chain & launch boat

Recover trailer

Reverse operation.

You might need to tweak it a bit & change the strap on the winch to a rope, I use 12mm dyneema which is good for around 5t, you could easily go smaller & get twice as much length on the drum.
You might need a spinnaker type clip on the safety chain that can be released under load, as the weight will come into the safety chain as you lower down.

Ps, I took the supplied winch off the trailer, o couldn’t get on with it, there’s no “freewheel” option so you have to hand wind it out which was a pita.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2019, 17:17   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I think something might have got lost in translation [emoji848] this is how I understand your problem, I may have got it wrong.

You want to lower the trailer/boat down the slip on a winch.

Launch the boat

Recover the trailer up the slip on the winch

Attach to vehicle

Recovery is a reverse operation

If so, then all you need is a safety chain/strap on the trailer to secure the boat (you should have one of these anyway & not be relying on the winch)

So:-

Attach (existing) winch to vehicle using snatch block & take weight.

Un-hitch

Lower trailer down slip to water

Unclip safety chain & launch boat

Recover trailer

Reverse operation.

You might need to tweak it a bit & change the strap on the winch to a rope, I use 12mm dyneema which is good for around 5t, you could easily go smaller & get twice as much length on the drum.
You might need a spinnaker type clip on the safety chain that can be released under load, as the weight will come into the safety chain as you lower down.

Ps, I took the supplied winch off the trailer, o couldn’t get on with it, there’s no “freewheel” option so you have to hand wind it out which was a pita.
Yes definitely have a safety chain ,(ha ha it was this i took off my trailer the other day for the defender owner to dive down and get it through his front defender hook when underwater )
you have it about spot on with one massive difference ,i don,t float my boat off the trailer !!.........because i am sort of dropping the boat into 1 metre of water off the end of the trailer ,,by doing this it keeps brakes and bearings out the water but more importantly my Disco 4 is 2 metres further up the slip away from the slimey stuff ,this is why i will only use the winch system if i get caught at low water
The reason you ditched the alko winch is exactly the reason i love it ,for safe lowering into the water . Infact if you remove the handle the winch drive is via a 22mill ish hex head , have you considered if you drive this with a socket in a 18v drill you will have an electric winch(with no need for a battery on the trailer or a trailing cable ) , will it work ? i dont know for sure but i have been succesful creating some slope in the garden ,but hav,nt actually tried on the slip yet .
Old 25 August 2019, 20:14   #66

Wanted to add a few pictures of how this finished up ,quite pleased as i have a smallish package of parts i can carry in my boot ,and will fit to either of my boats and rembering i will only need for low tide launch or recover if the slime is going to be under my disco wheels ,just 2 u bolts for winch and a couple of pins for stands ,(note the roller on the winch post serves no purpose ,just one i had made earlier and didnt want to cut off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0927.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	130618   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0928.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	130619   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0929.jpg
Views:	153