Old 22 December 2015, 17:51   #61

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Viper
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 2x 100
That's great thanks they look very good. I may well give him a shout.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03 January 2016, 22:23   #62

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
certainly a very interesting post which I have just read in full (must be bord) however it does seem to conclude ,so just to make you you even more amazed here is my findings on a very closely associated matter
this time last year I was the proud new owner of a highfield 500 with a Honda 90 on the back on a 750kg unbraked trailer , in may 2015 I wanted to change my vehicle and much fancied a 4 door wrangler jeep brand new ,jeep weighed in at just over 3 ton ,but on closer investigation unbraked towing capacity was listed at 500kg ,that cant be right so looked further and guess what ..........towing weight was limited by emmissions !!! tax disk on the standard jeep was around £235 ,if I wanted to get a 750kg tow I would need to buy the axle + model which carried an annual tax disc of £500 , had a close shave as would never have doubted a 3 ton vehicles ability to tow 750kg ,but all said it would have been illegal !! ,sent me asking a few questions to a friend of mine who,s been in the trade for 50 years and he told me he can sell me a major manufacturers tow bar for a vehicle that claims to have no towing capacity !! (just in case you need a bike rack ha ha ) ......... so athough I write this in jest slightly ,do,nt assume its a big motor so course it will tow 750kg ,,,,,, my lucky escape proved a winner as I reverted to a new defender in the end and prices seem to be rising like you would,nt believe !
Old 04 January 2016, 08:25   #63

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
certainly a very interesting post which I have just read in full (must be bord) however it does seem to conclude ,so just to make you you even more amazed here is my findings on a very closely associated matter
this time last year I was the proud new owner of a highfield 500 with a Honda 90 on the back on a 750kg unbraked trailer , in may 2015 I wanted to change my vehicle and much fancied a 4 door wrangler jeep brand new ,jeep weighed in at just over 3 ton ,but on closer investigation unbraked towing capacity was listed at 500kg ,that cant be right so looked further and guess what ..........towing weight was limited by emmissions !!! tax disk on the standard jeep was around £235 ,if I wanted to get a 750kg tow I would need to buy the axle + model which carried an annual tax disc of £500 , had a close shave as would never have doubted a 3 ton vehicles ability to tow 750kg ,but all said it would have been illegal !! ,sent me asking a few questions to a friend of mine who,s been in the trade for 50 years and he told me he can sell me a major manufacturers tow bar for a vehicle that claims to have no towing capacity !! (just in case you need a bike rack ha ha ) ......... so athough I write this in jest slightly ,do,nt assume its a big motor so course it will tow 750kg ,,,,,, my lucky escape proved a winner as I reverted to a new defender in the end and prices seem to be rising like you would,nt believe !

A 4 door Jeep Wrangler weighs over 3 tonnes?
Is that filled with 5 fat barstewards?
Old 04 January 2016, 09:36   #64
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Orwell Boy may have missed the mark on the weight, but for a 2 ton offroader, the Wrangler is totally pants when it coming to towing limits. To tow anything bigger than a pram it needs a special axle version (which bumps the emissions a bit).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	110237  
Old 04 January 2016, 10:30   #65

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Three Americans or one opera singer.
Old 04 January 2016, 11:30   #66

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
,do,nt assume its a big motor so course it will tow 750kg ,,,,,,
Found the same thing when I looked at a Chrysler C300. Max unbraked towing capacity 500Kg......less than a Vauxhall Corsa !!!!

Maybe just a Chrysler thing ?
Old 04 January 2016, 13:01   #67
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Three Americans or one opera singer.
I read with interest that 60% of adults in the UK are obese. I suspect that the figures are similar for Ireland. We're a wobbly wedge of lardarses pointing our chubby fingers at our north American cousins.

Old 15 January 2016, 20:04   #68

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I have a 2005 old shape Mercedes Sprinter which has a 2800kg towing capacity. I checked what the current Sprinter has and it is now down to 2000kg. From a van perspective, the Iveco Daily, depending on version will go up to 3500kg. You also need to be a bit careful on tow bar selection. I found a few vehicles where the tow bar had a lower rating than the vehicle.