Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Trailer breakdown cover 7m +

Hi

I've had breakdown cover with green flag for many years and fortunatley never needed to use them, however as the renewals seemed to have climbed considerably over the past few years despite no claims I thought I'd ring them for a chat.

Whilst on the phone I discussed breakdown scenarios whilst towing and they advised they strictly only cover trailers upto 7m in length from the A frame to the very rear part of the trailer or its load.

Now I am towing a 7.5m rib on a large twin axle trailer I'm pretty sure the overall length likely exceeds 7m whichever way you interpret their wording regarding the A frame which they couldn't explain how this related to boat trailers (they were not willing to see a photo of my particular trailer and advise).

So can anyone recommend breakdown cover providers that will cover me in the even my trailer requires attention / recovery from the roadside etc? Thanks
Old 04 May 2021, 04:55   #2

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Hi

I've had breakdown cover with green flag for many years and fortunatley never needed to use them, however as the renewals seemed to have climbed considerably over the past few years despite no claims I thought I'd ring them for a chat.

Whilst on the phone I discussed breakdown scenarios whilst towing and they advised they strictly only cover trailers upto 7m in length from the A frame to the very rear part of the trailer or its load.

Now I am towing a 7.5m rib on a large twin axle trailer I'm pretty sure the overall length likely exceeds 7m whichever way you interpret their wording regarding the A frame which they couldn't explain how this related to boat trailers (they were not willing to see a photo of my particular trailer and advise).

So can anyone recommend breakdown cover providers that will cover me in the even my trailer requires attention / recovery from the roadside etc? Thanks
Someone may correct me here... but I tend not to pay for breakdown cover. Any time i've needed it, i'm able to phone up the AA or whoever and register there and then, and they sent a truck straight away. Maybe i'm just a stingy mingebag.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 06:11   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Someone may correct me here... but I tend not to pay for breakdown cover. Any time i've needed it, i'm able to phone up the AA or whoever and register there and then, and they sent a truck straight away. Maybe i'm just a stingy mingebag.
I think you've been lucky, there's normally a time period (8-24hrs) a new registrant has to wait to prevent this sort of thing.

I went for AutoAid as recommended by Moneysavingexpert Martin Lewis. No idea about the trailer size but if it's legal to tow, it will probably be covered.
Old 04 May 2021, 06:22   #4

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I think you've been lucky, there's normally a time period (8-24hrs) a new registrant has to wait to prevent this sort of thing.

I went for AutoAid as recommended by Moneysavingexpert Martin Lewis. No idea about the trailer size but if it's legal to tow, it will probably be covered.
In fairness it has been a number of years (10) since I last had to do this... Ever since i've had cover through my bank, which is likely the base level of cover, but i'm sure I could upgrade in the moment if required!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 12:55   #5

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Used to be able to get through caravan club with green flag if my failing memory serves me well? Worth a call perhaps anyway
Old 04 May 2021, 13:20   #6

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Saga seems to have a great offer at present so longa s the primary user is over 50.

Looking today to see if it'll cover the trailer.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 16:30   #7

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I'd check the policy covers your trailer. I'm with the Nationwide and the included breakdown benefits cover a trailer up to 8M
Old 04 May 2021, 16:45   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Hi

Camping & caravan club “arrival” covers whatever you’re towing as long as it’s legal. It’s operated by the AA, very expensive though.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2021, 17:43   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Got mine chucked in with NFU insurance ,also paid extra to upgrade to home start but did,nt need too for the trailer part though,all through the rac ,guess if you can tow it legall then so can they ,, of course small ribber was the expert on this ,he had two occasions within a few years one from wales to suffolk (car on the recovery and trailer towed behind ) and one from devon to suffolk with boat on the transporter and disco driven behind ,as i understand they put whichever part has failed on the tranporter and tow the other part ,so i think they are quoting the max length for their transporter if the trailer fails then there are going to be length issues, who ever your with ,,,,the other problem i am told is they all work county,s so sometimes they will transport you home, but sometimes depending on shift patterns they will keep swapping you onto differnt transporters as you cross county boundarys
Old 04 May 2021, 18:00   #10

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
My car come with breakdown as long as I get it esker serviced each year and that covers towing (not sure if it covers trailer breakdown) and don’t remember a limit on size

Quote:
A Helping Hand
Volvo Assistance gives you three year’s free cover from date of vehicle registration or one year’s free cover from the date of purchase of a Volvo Selekt used car. Volvo Assistance covers the vehicle plus caravans and trailers – including anyone driving with your permission.
Old 04 May 2021, 18:03   #11

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
I can fully recommend NFU but make sure you specifically have trailer cover and tell them the max length. As someone said, if your tow car breaks down, no problem, any recovery company can recover your car and tow the trailer, but if you're towing a long trailer and have a trailer problem you're in for a huge bill if not covered, as they'll have to mobilise commercial recovery as most flat beds for car recovery will only carry up to 6.5/7m and won't tolerate any overhang.
Even if covered, expect a longer than usual wait with a big trailer as commercial recovery trucks are a lot less common than car recovery wagons.
NFU come very highly recommended though
Old 04 May 2021, 18:05   #12

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Ok I'm covered by "Top of the range FULL AA cover" through my LLoyds bank account (i.e "FREE" sweetener) ....a couple of years ago I had an electrical problem 500+ miles from home (thankfully AFTER a great Boating Holiday!) with a 3yr old Discovery I was useing as a Tower and rang them about getting home....Vehicle ..Boat ..Trailer ...Passengers and all.

Thier reply.."NO PROBLEM SIR" ...We are sending our local agent and he will be with you in around 1 +1/2 hours with a big enough Rig...Happy Days!
I'm pleased to say we eventually resolved the problem which turned out to be the "intelligent" key Fob
There you have it....real world problem and real world solution...if it ain't broke why fix it?
They are after all by far the biggest breakdown recovery outfit in the UK...With the biggest and most diverse fleet of recovery vehicles!
I have a RC 6.8 (7m RIB) on a Twin axel Dixon Bate Trailer...although no mention of size limit by the AA...just that it was legally "Towable" on UK Roads.

For me it's AA all the way!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 10:45   #13

Update - I just rang the AA and they have advised their normal cover will cover me for towing any trailer up to 3500kg (laden trailer weight) 2.55m width, and unrestricted length. Very surprised at this as it wasn't evident on their website. I bought joint personal cover at £127.92 for the year which I thought was reasonable. Also questioned if the trailer would be recovered if the car was still fine and they confirmed that it would.
Old 31 July 2021, 11:05   #14

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Update - I just rang the AA and they have advised their normal cover will cover me for towing any trailer up to 3500kg (laden trailer weight) 2.55m width, and unrestricted length. Very surprised at this as it wasn't evident on their website. I bought joint personal cover at £127.92 for the year which I thought was reasonable. Also questioned if the trailer would be recovered if the car was still fine and they confirmed that it would.
Does that provide the same benefits in Europe?
Old 31 July 2021, 11:28   #15

I didn't ask - only interested in UK cover currently. Worth phoning them.
Old 25 August 2021, 09:05   #16

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Whichever provider you plump for be sure to check that they will also attend and deal if it's just a problem with the trailer.

Friend of mine found that out the hard way when it was a trailer problem but the car was fine and the provider - I forget which as it was a few years ago - refused.
Leaving him stuck at the roadside on a Saturday evening & having to find a local garage that would attend.
Old 25 August 2021, 14:30   #17

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Whichever provider you plump for be sure to check that they will also attend and deal if it's just a problem with the trailer.

Friend of mine found that out the hard way when it was a trailer problem but the car was fine and the provider - I forget which as it was a few years ago - refused.
Leaving him stuck at the roadside on a Saturday evening & having to find a local garage that would attend.
Same thing happened to a pal of mine trailer bearing collapsed& they wouldnt recover it. A lot of boats wont fit on a standard recovery truck
Old 25 August 2021, 17:37   #18

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post

green flag do but for something over 7 meter you might need to join the caravan club and take out the mayday cover also provided by green flag
Old 26 August 2021, 20:22   #19

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Told ya Mate
AA isn't considered the Biggest/Best for for nout...for any kind of insurance cover ...numbers and scale do count
Been with them 20+ yrs ...
Don't over complicate/think things...
Sort the best you can and ...relax

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 21:32   #20

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We’re with Green Flag, got full all singing all dancing cover for the camper/boat/2nd car/personal cover/European cover for around £100. I asked specifically about the trailer & the response was “if you’re legally towing it, it’s covered”
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote