Old 27 January 2005, 09:57   #1

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Trailer brakes

Hi guys

Went to take my boat to Fairweather marnie last weekend only to discover the brakes on my trailer seem to have seized . I'd left the handbrake on, which I've now learnt is a big no-no... I suppose you have to learn about this stuff the hard way.

After a bit of persuasion, I've managed to get one wheel rotating - but only backwards? I guess I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and regrease it etc... are there any good links / docs which describe the process?

Ta muchly
- James
Old 27 January 2005, 11:15   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Yep, I learnt this the hard way too. After our first launch my father went to park the trailer and his method of rinsing the wheels was a bucket of water for each wheel (lazy b@$#ox!!). Anyways after being dipped in salt water and then the handbrake on, when I went to retrieve the trailer, I left two nice big trenches in the field I had parked it in.

You may not have to take the whole thing apart and regrease it though. I simply rinsed my brakes with plenty of fresh water (cold then hot). Gave each drum a tap with a hammer at 3,6,9 & 12 o' clock and they just popped and the wheels rotated freely.

This could be the completely wrong way to do it but I'm sure somebody will correct me if it is.
Old 27 January 2005, 12:46   #3

Town: isle of wight
Boat name: windchill 2
Make: ring 685
Length: 7m +
brakes

Thinking of drilling 4 holes in the brake drum(and wheel) so you can flush the drums out,any body tried this.
Old 27 January 2005, 13:20   #4

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Makes sense Ray, dunno if it'll work...would be interested to know if it does having just got a braked trailer.

I sure some trailers at the boatshow that had attachments for hoses on the brake drums so you could properly rinse them out.

I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to fix a hose attachment to some normal brake drums?

Tim
Old 27 January 2005, 13:31   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray bradman
Thinking of drilling 4 holes in the brake drum(and wheel) so you can flush the drums out,any body tried this.
Jlanng, Indespension do a good manual which explains how they work. If you can wash them down were you launch then they will dry with the drive home. Main problem seems to be wet shoes sticking / rusting to the hubs, driving along the road and using the brakes will dry them out.

Ray, you might find the drums already have the hole in them. De Graff recently replaced the axles on my trailer and just drilled a hole in the wheel rims which lined with the existing drum holes.

Pete
Old 27 January 2005, 22:18   #6

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Stop fellas.
This is what you need to do. ( the shoes are jammed against the drum)
BEHIND the drum there is a 17mm nut UNDO it. and at the same time
bang the drum with a wooden /rubber mallet. The cables are seized up and the brakes shoes are jammed in the on position. DO NOT ATTEMPT to drag the trailer with the towing vehicle as this will ruin the tyres. You will then nedd to take off the drum. - spray with WD40 and remove the cables ( if not unjammed ) and soak them in penetrating oil.

Years of towing - free knowledge base.

Jonathan
Old 28 January 2005, 04:41   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Jlanng, Indespension do a good manual which explains how they work. If you can wash them down were you launch then they will dry with the drive home. Main problem seems to be wet shoes sticking / rusting to the hubs, driving along the road and using the brakes will dry them out.

Ray, you might find the drums already have the hole in them. De Graff recently replaced the axles on my trailer and just drilled a hole in the wheel rims which lined with the existing drum holes.

Pete
I wash where I launch and drive home about 5 miles trying to ensure the trailer brakes come on once or twice and have still had sticking problems.I back my trailer into my drive and have found the answer so far has been to back it too far then pull forwrd to reset the brakes-and no trailer hand brake use.

My admiral trailer has holes already with rubber bungs,it might be an idea to install a trailer hub flushing system as previously suggested on this forum.
Old 28 January 2005, 07:05   #8

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
I paid the extra last year and had the disc brakes set up on the Rapide Trailer from Dixon Bate. Brilliant. Only get jammed a bit but a small pul with the Land Rover soon frees them.
Well worth the extra £400.00.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2005, 13:13   #9

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Thanks for the replies everyone... very much appreciated. Let's hope the weather holds for the weekend...
Old 28 January 2005, 15:03   #10

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
What a coincedence. At midnight last night I was banging away on a hub in Inverkip. After a while we gave up and stripped the hub. All because the owner had probably never washed them out! Many thanks to the marina security man who kept me company and got his hands dirty...

Brian . you were correct , I should have left it till the morning!!
Old 06 February 2005, 15:41   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Send a message via MSN to daveh
if the brakes are just stuck, simply jack up each wheel and tap/bang the axle side of the wheel with a hammer/mallet, while trying to rotate and this will free them off. However be careful to check for heat after a few minutes of driving to ensure the bearings are ok otherwise the wheels could drop off.