Old 09 May 2023, 20:06   #1

Town: Dartford
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp outboar
Trailer and storage

Hi All,

I’ve just procured my first ever boat (Honwave T40 and 20hp Tohatsu) and I’m looking for a trailer to suit. Are there any brands I should be specifically seeking and any I should be swerving? Google seems to be just showing the same basic things. Also is there any appreciable difference between roller and bunk?

Apologies for any ignorance, it’s all very new to me.

Also if I could be cheeky and ask a second question: Is there any specific insurance that I can grab for the boat whilst in storage? I don’t have any space on my property, and if I leave it in the road outside there will be pensioners dogging in it and teenagers speedballing heroin through the fuel line within ten minutes so I’m just going to store it in one of those shipping container storage sites. Cursory searches of such sites don’t turn up any obvious contents insurance so just doing my homework before I commit.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.
Old 09 May 2023, 20:38   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Plenty members on here that will own T40 and see what they recommend.

I’d have thought you’d be looking at a carpeted bunk trailer. Decent makes include Indespension, Snipe, etc. You get what you pay for with trailers in terms of build, tow-ability, quality of galvanising.

Back to storage, what does the off-site storage provider offer in terms of insurance? Speak to a broker such as craftinsure to see if they would cover while at a location which isn’t your home. You’d be covered while it’s in transit and in use which you’ll need.

Speaking of trailers, this is a bit Heath Robinson for my liking!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175591226...hoCfEcQAvD_BwE
Old 09 May 2023, 21:20   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi and welcome,

I think something like this Extreme would suit your T40.

https://www.extrememarine.co.uk/extr...400-inflatable

You may find that carpeted bunks become a little "sticky" and you may want to replace them with HDPE, but that's further down the line.

As spartacus has said, speak to Craftinsure re : storage insurance. I've found they are quite accommodating when it comes to adding too or changing insurance policies. They will want OB locks, wheel locks ect. It may be beneficial to look at caravan storage sites as they are insurance rated "CaSSOA" bronze, silver & gold and Craftinsure may look favourably upon this type of storage.

If the storage is outdoors you will need a good boat cover to protect from UV and the elements.

Tags
trailer