Old 16 December 2015, 08:19   #1

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Trailer advice please

Hi all,

I currently have an Aerotec 380 with a 25hp 2 stroke which I would like to put on a trailer, but in the future I will be looking for a rib up to 5m.
With that in mind can anyone recommend a trailer that will be ok for the Aerotec but will be also capable of towing a rib.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 16 December 2015, 08:57   #2

Chalk and cheese and requires very different trailers.

I think you will end up with 2 trailers for a 3.8 and 5m boat.

Getting a 5m RIB off the trailer would probably get old quick too.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:28   #3

Being more exact with my requirements if I decided the rib would be an SR4 would that still be the case, requiring two different trailers?

I did wonder if that would be the case and would expect a bit of a compromise but if it's a non starter then I will have a rethink.
Thanks
Old 16 December 2015, 09:46   #4

I have no experience with that setup but I'm firmly of the opinion if you want to put a sib on a trailer then you are better selling it and get a RIB. I can't for life if me figure out why have the convienience of a sib and then instantly give it the drawback of a RIB......just buy the RIB!

I assume you are wondering if you should upgrade the 380 hence the sort of dip toes in water approach?

In theory, a 380 and sr4 could be put on the same trailer, don't see a big hassle making it work with both. I would think carefully about why you would want to though.

Keep in mind if it is a 5m boat it won't exactly be light to man handle off the trailer, entirely possible though for sure.
Old 16 December 2015, 09:52   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I've got an Indespension JS05 roller trailer for my SR4. Perfect fit and really easy to get the boat on and off singlehanded.

My teenager and his mate have an Avon RAB315 roller floor SIB which they wanted to take to Cornwall.

I med up some bunks using 2"x4" with carpet nailed on which were each bolted to two blocks that slotted into the gaps between the rollers.

Dual purpose trailer!
Old 16 December 2015, 15:07   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Only you know your exact circumstance & needs Steve but I'd be inclined to use the Aerotec as-is for now and put any possible trailer funds towards an SR4 purchase (as a complete package with trailer) sooner rather than later.

Like Xk59D I think once you want to put an Aerotec on a trailer it's saying you have the wrong boat and best to move on... portability is 50% of the Aerotec appeal really.

Of course it's different for others, like perhaps Gurnard and Jeff S, who have their SIBs fitted out in expedition style when a trailer becomes a must.
Old 16 December 2015, 15:53   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Steve

With the boys on this but as an idea I saw on YouTube two sibs being loaded onto a double deck trailer basically like a car transporter don't know if you want to take both boats together with the aerotec on top
You could also use a bunk trailer for the sr4 not as easy to launch but you could set it up with rear of the bunks dropping through jockey wheel clamps so it's on the keel rollers and easer to push off at the stern but you would still need a dolly to push the rib onto at home.
Just some food for thought.
Cheers
Old 16 December 2015, 18:26   #8

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Fairly straight forward.
Buy a roller trailer to suit the rib, if you're under 5mtrs an "unbraked" should do. Take the rollers off and leave them in the garage. Fit a couple of bunks in the mean time.
But as everyone else says, probably best to make do without the trailer for the SIB just now and wait to see what comes with the RIB when you get round to buying it.
All buying a new trailer is going to do is make a hole in the budget for the RIB you know you want..
Old 16 December 2015, 19:15   #9

Xk59D you are right in that it is a bit of a dip in the toes to see if i get on with a trailer then if so go for a rib.
For now though I mainly launch from a beach without a 4x4 and can manhandle this set up.
So for now i suppose to answer your question i want the convenience of not having to dismantle every time (but can at any time) but also the option to beach launch or use the slip without the extra cost of running a second car 4x4. But you may be proved right and the convenience of not having to dismantle may be outweighed by the inconvenience of using the trailer?

Ideally id have an SR4 or 4.7 with a 4x4 that i can use off the beach and this would do me 90% of the time. I would hold onto the sib and probably use it on holidays, family, friends etc.. Also im aware several boaters have for whatever reason gone full circle and gone from sib to rib and back to sib.

I also fancy a bit of a project and most project boats that ive seen come with shot trailers and im thinking if ive got a decent trailer then if the right boat comes up then ive got some options.

Searider thats exactly what i was thinking of and good to know its doable. I thought it would be no problem but nice to know its already been done and on what trailer.

Cheers
Old 16 December 2015, 19:26   #10

Last Tango, you posted as i was writing.

I wasn't very clear with my full intentions in my original post but to be fair I only asked if anyone knew if one trailer could do both and it now been answered thanks.
Old 17 December 2015, 00:52   #11

the biggest risk you have is digging in, 4x4 has that same risk but ofcourse easier to get out of it potentially.

to beach launch an sr4 i don't think would be a big deal with a car (depending on the beach ofcourse!), just change the jockey wheel to a big inflatable type and tie a rope to the towball whilst leaving the car somewhere away from soft sand, push the boat in would work 99% of the time i'm sure.

check this out for beach launch minus car, looks like maybe a 5.2m boat i guess at a quick glance-

Old 17 December 2015, 05:21   #12

Thanks for info but i prefer to launch at Newbiggin which is a soft sand beach and ive never seen a car on there. I have seen a few soft 4x4 on there though so will probably go down that road in the future.
Old 19 December 2015, 22:39   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I have no experience with that setup but I'm firmly of the opinion if you want to put a sib on a trailer then you are better selling it and get a RIB. I can't for life if me figure out why have the convienience of a sib and then instantly give it the drawback of a RIB......just buy the RIB!
There was a lengthy thread about the issue Xk59D talks about fairly recently. Steve it would be worth having a search, there are different views.

In simple terms most people with 5m ribs prefer to launch from rollers. Sibs really need bunks. Searider suggests a nice approach, but a 4m sea rider would be fine launching from a bunker trailer too unless the beach is very shallow (when getting it deep enough is a pita).
Old 20 December 2015, 00:52   #14

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I'm going to disagree with the masses regarding the trailer and a SIB. My first two boats were a 12.5 foot and a 14'. I started out rolling up the small boat for the first year or so, but that was a pain. I ended up sticking it on a small bunk trailer which I continued to use with the 14' boat. That was a Mk II Futura with a 40HP on it, which was a bit of a lump to hump.

We mostly used the boats at our place in Tobermory (Canada) where the ramp was literally about 100 yards from the house.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 02:42   #15

Yes, Searider has the best solution for me, get a roller trailer and make some bunks for the sib.
Poly, I have read that thread about trailering a sib and had already decided that I am going to get one and see how I get on with it. Cheers.
Old 20 December 2015, 07:44   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I can see the sense in buying an oversized trailer now to allow upgrade of the boat later without changing the trailer
But don't get the suggestions that you buy a new roller trailer and convert to bunks now
Why not buy a bunked trailer now and either use it as a bunk trailer later or upgrade it
I don't like roller trailers anyway but people forget that the bunk trailer is usually a lump cheaper it is lighter & has a higher payload than a similar roller trailer and there's less to go wrong
Even on a bunk trailer I'd be surprised if you couldn't launch an sr4 singlehandedly
Old 20 December 2015, 12:07   #17

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Why not buy a bunked trailer now and either use it as a bunk trailer later or upgrade it
I don't like roller trailers anyway but people forget that the bunk trailer is usually a lump cheaper it is lighter & has a higher payload than a similar roller trailer and there's less to go wrong
Even on a bunk trailer I'd be surprised if you couldn't launch an sr4 singlehandedly
Reason being, a roller trailer can be converted to bunks quit easily but a bunk trailer is not going to have "swing beams" so there's no easy option of going the other way.
Old 20 December 2015, 13:18   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I can see the sense in buying an oversized trailer now to allow upgrade of the boat later without changing the trailer
But don't get the suggestions that you buy a new roller trailer and convert to bunks now
I don't think thats what Searider was suggesting. I think he was suggesting its possible to ADD (not convert) easily removable bunks to a roller trailer so it has both options for different loads.

Quote:
At this size its only about £50 difference, and there's not much (any?) difference in plated weight. I completely agree you should be able to singlehanded launch a SR4 - although I think the OP is considering beach launching without a car, which I think will be tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Reason being, a roller trailer can be converted to bunks quit easily but a bunk trailer is not going to have "swing beams" so there's no easy option of going the other way.
You can convert both ways (you can buy the swing beams etc), but if you want to add bits to have a 2in1 trailer its much easier to work out where to usefully put bunks than to squeeze rollers into the space bunks happen to leave you.
Old 20 December 2015, 16:26   #19

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
At this size its only about £50 difference, and there's not much (any?) difference in plated weight. I completely agree you should be able to singlehanded launch a SR4 - although I think the OP is considering beach launching without a car, which I think will be tricky.

Single handed launching on sand would be a challenge with anything but the smallest boat, the trailer type isn't realy going to change that

I wasn't aware the cost difference was so small at this size so probably not an issue and no doubt it would be more expensive to convert to rollers than to bunks

Wrt the plated weight it will be the same gross weight but the payload capacity will be reduced slightly on the roller trailer due to the extra weight of the roller carousels etc
I'm not sure how much at this size but it was over a couple of hundred kgs on a 3500kg trailer
Worth considering if the weight is getting anywhere near a cars unbraked tow capacity
Old 20 December 2015, 17:23   #20

I've no plans to beach launch using the trailer until I can get a 4x4. Trying to convince the other half she needs a 4x4 instead of her Nissan note but she is having none of it. I've a company car with no option for 4x4. So slipways for now. The slipway may be the best option long term for me anyway.