Click Here to Login

Old 09 August 2021, 16:35   #1

Town: Midlands
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF100
RIBase
Towing with full or empty fuel tank?

Probably a stupid question but I'm fairly new to all this. Just upgraded my RIB from a 3.8M to a 5.4M, the new RIB has a 105L fuel tank. Just wondering what peoples opinions are regarding whether its best to fuel up before making a fairly long journey (3hours), or tow the boat empty and fill up on arrival at a nearby petrol station?

The petrol station I have in mind is the Morrisons at Caernarfon, not sure if there is ample room to get round it with the trailer, or whether they have any funny ideas about not permitting the fuelling of boats (read some horror stories on here about other stations)..... where as I can visit an unattended Asda petrol station the night before with no severe corners to negotiate.

Managed to get 22mpg when towing the boat with empty fuel tank back from the dealers, so unsure what if anything this will drop to with another 105KG of added weight.

Many thanks.
Old 09 August 2021, 16:47   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
105 litres of petrol is actually about 84kg as it is less dense than water.

The less weight the better when towing. Why lug 84kg around when you don't need to? I think the exceptions to this are:

If the nose weight on the trailer is significantly reduced by not having the fuel on board. Towing is easier when the nose weight approaches the maximum that the car / trailer (whichever is the smaller) will deal with.

As you've suggested, if filling up locally to the launch site is a PITA.
Old 09 August 2021, 17:04   #3

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Depending on where you are going I'd fill up towards the end of the journey - providing you know there's a petrol station with access / egress for a car and trailer. Some petrol stations are no designed fro trailers - getting stuck would be embarrassing!

If you're heading somewhere remote I'd fill up somewhere I knew along the way - the later on the journey the better as GuyC suggests.
Old 09 August 2021, 17:20   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I look to fill up local to the slipway, saves weight on the trailer and car.

2 minute son google before heading off soon lets me find the most appropriate garage on route.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2021, 17:44   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
It realy doesnt make much difference unless your trailer in on its limits 100kgs of fuel is just a chubby passenger & you wouldnt ask your passengers to walk. Just do whatever is most convenient for you.
Old 09 August 2021, 18:25   #6

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
You will fit at Morrison’s. I’ve had a motorhome towing a 7m rib in and round there. It was a bit tight but manageable
Old 09 August 2021, 19:05   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
You will fit at Morrison’s. I’ve had a motorhome towing a 7m rib in and round there. It was a bit tight but manageable

^^^^^ wot Neil said[emoji106] I’ve had a 6.4m RIB in Morrisons, wait until one of the outside pumps is free.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2021, 20:37   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I'll be the the odd one out on this and say fuel up before unless you know your destination, especially if you're running to a tight schedule and dealing with tides. I get the whole weight thing, but there's nothing economic about owning a boat so I except it, and I've done petrol stations in remote locations with tight turning circles and can do without the stress. Bear in mind I'm up north, so have dealt with 24 fuel stations that are shut unexpectedly so I tend to err on the side of caution on trips.

Fuelling a boat with plastic tanks or a inbuilt tank is one thing, try fuelling a MilPro 25 litre auxilliary fuel bladder and getting funny looks!
Old 09 August 2021, 20:52   #9

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It realy doesnt make much difference unless your trailer in on its limits 100kgs of fuel is just a chubby passenger & you wouldnt ask your passengers to walk. Just do whatever is most convenient for you.
You've never asked Poly for a lift have you ;-)
Old 09 August 2021, 20:54   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
You’re not the odd one, I like to arrive primed & ready to go.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2021, 21:18   #11

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Fuelling a boat with plastic tanks or a inbuilt tank is one thing, try fuelling a MilPro 25 litre auxilliary fuel bladder and getting funny looks!
I’m sure it does……. Ive been lucky with most trips to the garage…. So far….
Old 09 August 2021, 21:32   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
As I said, work out where you can fuel up - closer to launch the better but don't take risks on fuel station being shut - supply late / staff ill etc....don'r leave it till the last mile with no plan B. If in doubt fuel up before you go.
Old 09 August 2021, 21:45   #13

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thats good information ,lucky its not the old days when you had to work out where the quadruple green shield stamps were
Old 09 August 2021, 22:01   #14

Town: Frinton-on-Sea
Boat name: RibRoulete
Engine: Honda 150 FBW
MMSI: 232043399
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I'll be the the odd one out on this and say fuel up before unless you know your destination, especially if you're running to a tight schedule and dealing with tides. I get the whole weight thing, but there's nothing economic about owning a boat so I except it, and I've done petrol stations in remote locations with tight turning circles and can do without the stress. Bear in mind I'm up north, so have dealt with 24 fuel stations that are shut unexpectedly so I tend to err on the side of caution on trips.

Yep I tend to agree.

Very odd looks indeed! What’s your technique?

As already said you will easily get around the Morison’s there, I have found several Morison’s to be quite picky about what they will let you fill.
Had a stand up row in the local Morison’s when filling the rib up as they said they could only allow me 20L as per the rules. I know a few bits about ADR regs and baffled them with bull shit & the relinquished.

Did you buy it from Benji?
Old 10 August 2021, 00:15   #15

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I fill up fuel tanks as as soon as I'm back off the water even if Im towing to the far side of the country (4000km +) I fill the tank. A full tank has less tendency to form condensation inside the tank from day to night temp changes. Also due to remoteness in this country, its good to fill from places that have regular fuel deliveries rather than a remote place that might get fuel less frequently. Theres also the fact a boat with a full tank is always ready to hit the water.
Old 10 August 2021, 08:33   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill View Post
Very odd looks indeed! What’s your technique?
I got the Zodiac MilPro fuel bladder for our Summer Isles trip 3 years ago. I can normally carry 50 litres on board Sula, but the extra tank allows another 22 litres, so just gives you peace of mind.

You just unhook from the boat and upend it so it's vertical, then fuel as normal. I leave 2-3 inches of space when fillling, then screw the aluminium cap back on. It's situated on the port side, and clips on the D rings and rope lace cuff.
Old 10 August 2021, 08:54   #17

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I'll be doing exactly this at the weekend. Drive up with an empty tank and put the max in (can't remember if it's £100 or 100 litres when the pump stops ) at Lochgilphead Esso and then trundle down to Carradale . I usually manage to get in the outside row of pumps. As a matter of interest Highland fuels aren't going E10 until the first of September so my old Honda 90 should be ok for this holiday.
Old 10 August 2021, 10:28   #18

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I fill up fuel tanks as as soon as I'm back off the water even if Im towing to the far side of the country (4000km +) I fill the tank. A full tank has less tendency to form condensation inside the tank from day to night temp changes. Also due to remoteness in this country, its good to fill from places that have regular fuel deliveries rather than a remote place that might get fuel less frequently. Theres also the fact a boat with a full tank is always ready to hit the water.
I always used to - but so close to limits now on both boat V trailer and towing weights works for me to go the other way.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 19:54   #19

Town: Midlands
Engine: Honda BF100
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
I'll be doing exactly this at the weekend. Drive up with an empty tank and put the max in (can't remember if it's £100 or 100 litres when the pump stops ) at Lochgilphead Esso and then trundle down to Carradale . I usually manage to get in the outside row of pumps. As a matter of interest Highland fuels aren't going E10 until the first of September so my old Honda 90 should be ok for this holiday.
Very good point that I'd overlooked, that the maximum transaction limit on most petrol station is £100, so around 74 litres - therefore I'll aim to do a half fill before setting off and the remainder when I get closer to my destination, because once at my launch site I will be there for 3 days with little chance to refuel without towing the boat back down some narrow country lanes to the filling station, so may as well start off with a full tank.

Thanks for all the advise
Old 12 August 2021, 20:18   #20

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Very good point that I'd overlooked, that the maximum transaction limit on most petrol station is £100, so around 74 litres - therefore I'll aim to do a half fill before setting off and the remainder when I get closer to my destination, because once at my launch site I will be there for 3 days with little chance to refuel without towing the boat back down some narrow country lanes to the filling station, so may as well start off with a full tank.

Thanks for all the advise
That’s only for pay at pump and as I found out is per day not per transaction…. 2/3 cards but pay at pump is great for filling 20l cans…..