Old 05 December 2017, 18:47   #21

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Is that all? my trusty Focus 2.0l 6 speed manual had 196k on the clock when I sold it.... last I heard it had passed 218k.....

Current Mondeo ....time will tell!
That is all - doesn't stand up to my longest-driven car, W124 Merc. I bought it when it had 200k (or maybe 300k - don't remember now) on the clock, I did another 300k in 3.5 years and sold it to a taxi driver. This guy kept giving me free lifts - the best car he ever had ;-)

And now, '58 Mondeo, 165k with one bearing change at 120k (forgot which wheel), clutch change, cambelt change. No other repairs. At least half of the miles are from driving to Cote d'Azur, so lots of motorway miles.

It starts to show the symptoms of leaky injectors (when cold it needs to be cranked for 2s, then off, then crank to start - fuel leaks out of the end of the injectors and the HP fuel pump is powered by crank, only LP pump is electric).This happens when the car is parked uphill, much less of a problem if parked downhill - something to do with the exact angles of the HP diesel plumbing I guess.

I could push it (and I'm pretty sure it would be OK), but I want to change it on my terms, not when it doesn't want to pass MOT in October due to emissions. It will be 10 years old next year, I won't break the bank changing it, SWMBO was given a Kuga when I bought the RIB so she doesn't mind me changing my car - the stars seem to align on the opportunity ;-). The usual problem is "what should that be". So far I looked seriously at 5 series and E class, as both of these have torque converters, but both end up costing £45-£50k when box-ticking is done. Audi/VW got dismissed on the basis of DCT. Another tempting one is either Mondeo AWD or Edge, but Mondeo only comes with 180BHP engine and Powershift gearbox, Edge 210HP is only with Powershift as well. Internet claims that the new Powershift boxes are much better than the old ones, but...
Old 05 December 2017, 19:08   #22

i know 4 people with a mondeo (inc me), they are between 2006 and 2012 so a mk3 and mk4 respectively and all with different diesel engines in them.

2 of my mates just had to give in and do the injectors (££££££££) and the other one has been chasing the EML for 8 months now, been to a few dealers and no one has cracked the case on it yet. he's spent a fortune on his chasing this damn light. it throws up an DPF code so he's had DPF replaced, pipes to it, cat, many many hours (at different garages) and like clockwork, EML comes on after 3 days with limp mode. he now just has a bluetooth OBD2 and a phone app to reset it so he can take it out of limp mode for another 3 days.

mines is a total shed of a car, it chews through tyres at an alarming rate and no bugger can figure out why. i'm talking maybe 7k on front tyres and the inner and outer edges bald but not to a pattern. i.e sometimes it is inside on left and sometimes it is the outside. i've had the alignment and camber tested in 4 garages and had suspension, mounts, balljoints, bushes, roll bars, wheel bearings all checked many times. just throwing away money on it, it is cheaper to change the tyres now so that is what i do. not to mention mine needs injectors, EGR, DPF and the DMF is rattling btw.

mines is the youngest in terms of mileage with 111k on it but they are terrible cars, really are.

and the kicker, i should have known better. i owned a pair of spank new titanium x sport mondeos in 2012/2013 and both of them ford took back due to the number of faults they had in the short time due to me rejecting them. i've posted on this forum about them before if you want the info...shocking cars. the only positive was i got more or less 20 months ish motoring for free as they ended up refunding me all my money to walk away.

anyways, i'm a twat for buying another one as a run about, pocket ruled head on that one.
Old 05 December 2017, 19:11   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Just a suggestion.

Jaguar F-Pace eight-speed automatic | Best automatic cars 2017 | Auto Express
Old 05 December 2017, 19:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
i know 4 people with a mondeo (inc me), they are between 2006 and 2012 so a mk3 and mk4 respectively and all with different diesel engines in them.

2 of my mates just had to give in and do the injectors (££££££££) and the other one has been chasing the EML for 8 months now, been to a few dealers and no one has cracked the case on it yet. he's spent a fortune on his chasing this damn light. it throws up an DPF code so he's had DPF replaced, pipes to it, cat, many many hours (at different garages) and like clockwork, EML comes on after 3 days with limp mode. he now just has a bluetooth OBD2 and a phone app to reset it so he can take it out of limp mode for another 3 days.

mines is a total shed of a car, it chews through tyres at an alarming rate and no bugger can figure out why. i'm talking maybe 7k on front tyres and the inner and outer edges bald but not to a pattern. i.e sometimes it is inside on left and sometimes it is the outside. i've had the alignment and camber tested in 4 garages and had suspension, mounts, balljoints, bushes, roll bars, wheel bearings all checked many times. just throwing away money on it, it is cheaper to change the tyres now so that is what i do. not to mention mine needs injectors, EGR, DPF and the DMF is rattling btw.

mines is the youngest in terms of mileage with 111k on it but they are terrible cars, really are.

and the kicker, i should have known better. i owned a pair of spank new titanium x sport mondeos in 2013/2014 and both of them ford took back due to the number of faults they had in the short time due to me rejecting them. i've posted on this forum about them before if you want the info...shocking cars. the only positive was i got more or less 20 months ish motoring for free as they ended up refunding me all my money to walk away.

anyways, i'm a twat for buying another one as a run about, pocket ruled head on that one.
Boss's brother's got a 9 month old one......cracking looking car, but in those 9 months it's been back to the garage 16 times and with a brand new problem on each and every occasion
Old 05 December 2017, 19:26   #25

i loved the look of mine, if you want a laugh i'll post up the videos i had to take of the faults as some of them were so intermittent they couldn't reproduce them...they were all done on private roads by a passenger ofcourse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-07 18.46.01.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	122907   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140210_141338.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	122908  
Old 05 December 2017, 20:28   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Thanks, but when box-ticking is finished then this pile of metal is £55k - no way I'm paying that much for JLR...
Old 05 December 2017, 20:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Which is why I looked yesterday at Mondy Vignale
Old 05 December 2017, 20:39   #28

Mondeo money, reliability and depreciation can't be any worse:

New SsangYong Rexton in Luton Bedfordshire - SsangYong GB